Brian May patch for Axe II anyone?

Paul2916

Inspired
Hi,

Just thought I'd ask if anyone has had any success with (or is working on) a Brian May sounding patch for the Axe II? I have a good BM patch that I use with my Ultra but as the systems are not compatible I'm struggling to replicate it on the II and I guess I'll need to start from scratch....unless anyone has already made some headway and is happy to share.

Thanks in anticipation.

Paul

There was one preset that sounded pretty Queen-ish... Mid Boost Lead maybe? I am not in front of the Axe II right now, but there was one that sounded a bit like the May patch in the Ultra. It was in the 200s somewhere. Probably not exactly what you want, but a good jumping off spot.

Thanks Rick. The Ultra patch that I have is one that I made when I changed from a Line 6 Vetta to the Ultra. I simply A/B'd the patch from the Vetta to the Ultra copying each component part until I had something workable. I might have to adopt a similar approach A/B-ing the Ultra and II at some point of course to create another new patch.

I take your point though and I agree. There are some interesting harmony patches in the II with aspects of BM's sound that I like and I recently downloaded a patch from one of the forum guys who had created a BM like delay...maybe I'll try bolting together some of these patches and see what I can come up with.

There certainly is one among the stock presets.
Can't recall its name....

There is a stock preset called Bohemian Rhapsody. It sounds nothing like Brian May. Indeed I never could get his tone out of Axe-Fx 2 using AC30+treble booster.

Thanks guys.

I know what you mean oacikgoz, sometimes I can get closer to a tone that I'm chasing using a completely different signal chain than the one I would expect.

Thanks for the tone ccroyalsenders, sounds great on my rig. Definitely a keeper.

Here's my take on the patch so far. I'm running 5.04b software and this is definitely a work in progress for a more general BM rhythm sound. All feedback, suggestions and questions welcome.

View attachment Brian May.syx

I haven't yet connected my II to the MFC so the Wah settings are just a quick copy of the Wah that I made for my Ultra and I haven't tested that effect as yet. The bypassed filter at the end is for a 3db volume boost should you want one.

Tweak, modify, delete at will....

Last edited:
What are you guys using as far as guitars go? I've got one of those Brian May Red Specials from MusciansFriend and it's definitely one of the more unique sounding guitars I've ever owned. If I dial in a Brian May preset with it I can get pretty close (have to redo it, I made it on one of those flakey firmwares that won't import without locking up or something). Anyway, if I try to use another guitar it sounds like crap. Its a real dark sounding guitar to start with which I think is why he has to use a treble booster.

Hi shasha. I use a custom built Feline guitar. Like BM's it's got a mahogany body and an ebony fingerboard (like BM's?...not sure what his fingerboard is made of). I have two single coil noiseless DiMarzios in the neck and middle and a Bareknuckle VHII humbucker in the bridge. I had one of those Red Special copies too but it was somewhat neck heavy and I couldn't get along with the round body, kept slipping off my lap so I sold it.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom