Boston's Foreplay/Longtime Quantum 1.02 Tone Test

I've got 2 months without a show:(...
So, What super-iconic, super-hard to match guitar sound should I try next?

I've been a Boston fan for years and I can honestly say this is the closest reproduction of Scholz' tone that I've ever heard. Excellent job.
Thanks Jason,
It's funny, every time I first load this preset I think whoa that's nasty, that can't be right. Then fire off the backing track and boom it sounds almost perfect?

Thanks Jason,
It's funny, every time I first load this preset I think whoa that's nasty, that can't be right. Then fire off the backing track and boom it sounds almost perfect?

You might check your tone against this drumless version of the song. Though not completely isolated, the rhythm guitars do sound different without drums, though in my experience this is often the case when isolating guitars in a mix. I'd be interested to hear just a clip of your Boston tone without the full mix.

I'm sure that kind of critical listening would show the kinks in my 'Tone Matching' armor. ;)

Ok, I added an A/B tone test clip alternating between the original guitar track and my Axe-Fx 'Tone Match' preset. I switch back an forth several times at each new phrase. Which one is which?

I will post the soloed guitar tracks later, they are much more obvious. But I will work on that....;)

Okay, here's my guess:

Time:

0:01 - 0:15: Axe
0:16 - 0:20: Original
0:32 - 0:37: Original
0:37 - 0:42: Axe
0:43 - 0:47: Original
0:48 - 1:03: Axe
1:04 - 1:09: Original
1:10 - 1:15: Axe
1:16 - End: Original

When A/B'd back to back some parts are more apparent than others though I really have to listen. However, a couple of parts really left me guessing.

Now that you know, is it easier to hear which is the original and which is the Axe-Fx??

I've got 2 months without a show:(...
So, What super-iconic, super-hard to match guitar sound should I try next?
Hey Moke, how about Whitesnake "Still of the Night" - one of the "hugest" tones ever, or "Welcome to the Jungle" - one of Slash's best off AFD. Two iconic tones to me.

Back
Top Bottom