Boss GT10 as midi controller

aussiejoe

Inspired
Hi

I have just purchased an ultra having previously been using a Boss GT10.
I was about to sell the GT10 and it occured to me that I might be able to use it as a midi floor controller for the ultra.

Im wondering if anyone has tried this.

thanks

I'm wondering this same thing. I like how the GT-10 is laid out and has the volume/expression pedal built in. Anybody that can chime in here? I'm a MIDI-idiot (that's a technical term) and wonder what limits the GT-10 might pose. Thanks in advance!

Wes

I've used a GT-8 as a controller for a while when I first got the Axe, since I had one lying around. It does the basic stuff just fine - you can switch patches right off the bat, and the pedal is easy enough to setup as the volume or wah. Anything beyond that, though, it's fairly limited - you only have two buttons to work with (the CTL and the button beneath the pedal, momentary type only), and two more if you add the external controllers.

I'd say that if you're only looking for something to change patches with, the GT-10 will work just fine. Otherwise, it's a fine interim solution while you shop for something better. :)

EDIT: I'll just add that, unfortunately, the "stomp-box" mode for the GT doesn't work with the Axe (at least for the GT-8). The only buttons that will transmit MIDI CC signal are the external controllers, the pedal, the button beneath the pedal, and the CTL button.

mikeyen said:
I'd say that if you're only looking for something to change patches with, the GT-10 will work just fine. Otherwise, it's a fine fine interim solution while you shop for something better.
That was my experience with my Pod XTL. My LF Jr. will get here tomorrow. ;)

mikeyen said:
I'll just add that, unfortunately, the "stomp-box" mode for the GT doesn't work with the Axe (at least for the GT-8). The only buttons that will transmit MIDI CC signal are the external controllers, the pedal, the button beneath the pedal, and the CTL button.

I'll have to check and see if the 1-2-3-4 buttons on the GT-10, as well as the CTL1, CTL2, Bank Up and Bank Down buttons work any different than the GT-8. I would imagine they're exactly the same though. Gotta figure that big blue LED screen on the GT-10 probably wouldn't show correct patches from the Axe-FX either. Thanks for the info!

Wes

I'm using a GT-3 and it works fine for changing patches. A bonus is that the unit can be used 1. as a headphone amp 2. as a back-up and 3. as an alternative multi-FX where I haven't got the patch sounding right on the AxeFX yet.

I have not worked out how to get the CTRL and EXP pedal working, but that is just because I'm a noob and still sussing it out (makes my head hurt!). In particular I'd like to use the CTRL pedal to control Global Bypass so I can toggle the Drive Block. I just plugged it in via MIDI and patch changes worked right away.

Have you tried toggling using Global Bypass and CTRL pedal?

Hi Aussie Joe, Aussie Phil here (Melbourne). I've just set up my GT-3 to control the AxeFX and it is working great. I understand the GT-10 to be similar. I was having trouble, but just had a breakthrough by attaching a regular footswitch to the external pedal input. In summary:

Patch changes: Easy. Bank messages work too, so you have access to a huge range of presets - 340 with the GT-3

CTRL pedal. No good. Always switches twice (sends a message when depressed, also when released). May have some application for an effect you want to be on only while you hold your foot on the CTRL pedal.

External CTRL 1, CTRL 2. Very handy. I plugged my Peavey footswitch in - this has two switches with a stereo jack. Use Boss Utility menu to set the MIDI CC# out for CTRL1 and 2 and you have two parameters you can control. I'm doing Drive BYP on CTRL 1 and still deciding what to do with the second one. Any dual footswitch with a stereo jack will do.

EXP pedal. Have not set this up yet as a continuous controller but set the CC# in Utility and it works fine as on/off. It it sends continuous MIDI, so should work fine for Wah, volume etc.

Use Axe I/O menu to set the offset to 1 and the preset number displayed on Axe will match the patch number on the GT. With a bit of fiddling around you can name them the same and store similar GT-10 patches in case you have an Axe problem and need it as a back up.

With my GT-3 I now have all these functions without spending a cent and I can easily add a pedal or two to the AXE pedal 1 and 2 if I need more. I just worked it out this last hour and am very happy about it Who needs to buy a MIDI controller! Good luck with it!

Sorry to bring this thread back, but is there ANY way to use the GT-10 as the MIDI controller but have one of the pedals set for "tap tempo" for the delay without buying an external pedal to do this? Thanks!

Wes

Its definitely possibly to use the GT10 as a foot controller with the AFX .. before I sold mine I used it for exactly that purpose until I realised I'd never need the GT10 again and opted for another midi controller. That said, not all midi controllers are created equally ...

I didn't experiment using the effects switches as 1A's but I'd be very surprised if it wasn't possible. Check the GT10 manual and see what the program change message numbers are assigned to the buttons and tweak them to correspond to the effects block bypass in the AFX.

Bear in mind that the GT10 won't provide a flashing tap tempo LED when used with the AFX.

You could definitely use an external dual footswtich plugged into the SUB CTL output, which would also give you some other options But it sounds like you want to avoid that.

One way would be to use the CTL pedal (or I think you have 2 on the GT-10). These are not very useful for most things since they send one mesage when depressed and a further one when released. BUT they might be OK for tap tempo, with one tap/release of foot equalling two taps. You could then halve the way effects are liked to tempo. I hope you know what I'm trying to say. It is a work-around but do-able. Or you could train yourself to tap for one tap, release for another tap, i.e. tap at half the song tempo - that is probably more practical.

Dont think its possible..only using the ctl pedals, and even then they are "latch" only. I ended up getting an fc-300 instead. Lovin it :)

I'm using the GT-10 to turn effects on and off. You need an external switch like an FS-6 to trigger Control 3 & 4 but it fine for me. I don't use many effects so it works for me. If you want lots of effects control you better look into the MFC-101.

I'm using the GT-10 to turn effects on and off. You need an external switch like an FS-6 to trigger Control 3 & 4 but it fine for me. I don't use many effects so it works for me. If you want lots of effects control you better look into the MFC-101.

how do you do that? I don't think I've read of anyone who got that to work on the GT-10 so thats great news!
How did you work around the "latch" issue?
cheers

I just got and AxeFx and I have a GT8 that I am using until I get something more suitable. On the GT8, the only latch switch is the expression pedal switch. I leave the expression pedal somewhere in the middle of it's range, and when I want to switch something on, I push the expression pedal so the toe is all the way down. When I want to then switch it off, I move the pedal back to a middle position. It's a poor workaround, but it works.

There may be a better way to use the expression pedal switch, but I haven't had a chance to fool with it more. If anyone has recommendations I'd be interested in hearing them.

gt-10 as interface to update firmware?

I am trying to figure out a way of using something I own to update firmware. Would the gt-10 allow a person to update axe firmware. Thanks

Back
Top Bottom