Boss FV-500H with MFC-101

dschaaf

Experienced
Just wondering about using the Boss FV-500H with MFC-101? I have connected it to the MFC's "pedal 1" jack and it seems to work fine controlling the output volume (default). I just want to make sure that it is ok and wouldn't potentially cause any damage.

Boss's specs :FV-500H: mono, high-impedance, inst. level

I am connected to the MFC using the FV-500H's "Exp" jack....

Thanks,
d.

View attachment 10615

Out of interest do you get full range control? I didn't when I tried mine.

Make sure your using TRS and their pushed in all the way. Also check the knob on the side of the pedal, you'll see what effect this has when you calibrate it.

I'll try again. I just assumed the control wasn't working down the wrong pot value in the Boss. I thought it would only work from 25-100k?

I'll try again. I just assumed the control wasn't working down the wrong pot value in the Boss. I thought it would only work from 25-100k?

What will only work from 25-100k?

Which "pot value" are you talking about. The MFC should be connected to the Boss' EXP jack (as the OP said he was doing) which should give something in the 0-10k ohm range with a linear sweep (I actually see some folks mention 25k ohm linear pots here, but i don't have one to measure). This potentiometer for the expression circuit in this pedal is totally separate from the other potentiometer that works as the volume attenuator (with different values and a log/audio sweep. If you are seeing 100k ohm type values you are measuring the volume pot or have a broken pedal. I believe the 500H uses a 0-250k ohm audio pot there.).

i see some possible other confusion in this thread, talk about whether a Boss 500 pedal is a "L" or "H" impedance version is irrelevant for discussion as an expression pedal. The H/L is just referring to a high (0-250k ohm IIRC) or low (0-25k ohm IIRC) volume potentiometer, that does not affect the value/range of the pot used to drive the expression pedal "EXP" jack on the pedal.

Darryl

Hi guys, need some troubleshooting advice with the same pedal...

I just received my Axe-FX II and have not received the MFC yet, so my FV-500H is directly connected to the pedal input on the back of the Axe-FX II (Exp. out on the pedal itself). I set my output1 in I/O menu to use pedal, and it indeed works to control volume. However, does not seem to be calibrated properly - almost no change in the 1st/last 25% of the pedal throw. When I go into the pedal menu and choose calibrate, nothing happens when putting the pedal through its full motion, and no calibration values are displayed after hitting enter to finish. Manually entering start/end values seems to have no effect either. Set to continuous pedal type.

What should I be seeing (if anything) during the calibration process? Is there anything special about using a pedal like this without an MFC inline?

Edit: Just noticed this thread is in the MFC discussion area. I decided to posted this question in the general Axe-FX II forum as well since I am using the pedal direct to the rear panel.

Last edited:
When I go into the pedal menu and choose calibrate, nothing happens when putting the pedal through its full motion, and no calibration values are displayed after hitting enter to finish. Manually entering start/end values seems to have no effect either. Set to continuous pedal type.

there is no indication on screen when you calibrate a pedal using the Pedal jack on the AxeFX itself. those values you manually entered... could they have been the lines that say "Preset Start" and "Preset End"? yes, those will not affect your pedal calibration, as those set what Preset range you want to use when using a single switch to advance presets one at a time... nothing to do with pedal calibration.

you just hit Enter on Pedal Cal and sweep from low to high on your pedal, then hit enter when you're done.

I finally decided to just order some Mission pedals instead, and the EP-1 gives me MUCH better volume control than the Boss FV-500H. I wish the actual throw of the Mission pedal was longer like the Boss, but at least the EP-1 is smooth throughout the entire range and there are no dead spots near the heel and toe areas. It was nearly impossible to get consistent results with the Boss when using it for volume swells, but the EP-1 works does the trick.

I also got a 2nd spring loaded EP-1 for Wah set to autoengage, and I'm very pleased with it as well. My personal advice would be to go with Mission as the pedals feel more responsive through the entire sweep.

I'll probably keep my FV-500H for use for other effects such as pitch/harmonizer since any dead spots in the range won't be as sensitive or noticeable as something like volume.

Back
Top Bottom