Boosted 5105 does modern death metal (RedWire content)

Nolly

Inspired
Hi guys,

I'm going to be recording a tech death metal band in the next few weeks, so I'm trying out a few mixtests. How's this sound?

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/790683/DM%20both.mp3

Signal chain is TS808 -> 5105 -> RedWire Mesa Recto 4x12, SM57 4" cap edge.

Thanks for listening!

P.S, there's no bass guitar in there yet!

Kill-fucking-er! Could use a bit more upper mid bite for my taste, but DM tends to be scooped so im sure that was your intent.

headbang.gif

ENDITOL said:
Kill-fucking-er! Could use a bit more upper mid bite for my taste, but DM tends to be scooped so im sure that was your intent.

Badass, great to hear that from you. I was definitely going for a slightly scooped sound, we'll see what the band thinks about it

Sounds killer nolly :twisted:

I never can get that much weight without bass, what interface/daw setup are you using?

with bass/proper mix it'll be killer (probably too good for dm ;) )

Cheers guys!

JAB said:
Sounds killer nolly :twisted:

I never can get that much weight without bass, what interface/daw setup are you using?

with bass/proper mix it'll be killer (probably too good for dm ;) )

Hah, thanks man. Honestly, the kick drum is what's creating the illusion of low end in the guitars - I'll almost definitely have to cut some low end out of it when the bass goes in. To demonstrate, this is the gallop groove riff, guitars only:

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/790683/DM%20gro ... %20iso.mp3

I'm using a Mackie Onyx desk into Logic.

hmmm still quite a bit of meat in the low-end though. Particularly low-mid woomph (to my ears)

You do the techy/brutal style well, more preez

JAB said:
hmmm still quite a bit of meat in the low-end though. Particularly low-mid woomph (to my ears)

You do the techy/brutal style well, more preez

Oh ok, cool, I'm definitely looking forward to getting a decent bass tone involved!
Thanks, DM isn't really my usual jam, but it's good fun. I suppose I should try and write/record more of it :)

Impressive; great punch and attack and just enough scooped out.

I wouldn't change that tone until you add bass and see (hear) what happens.

Yes please! Good shit Nolly. I need to grab some of your patches as soon as I get a midi Interface. I just grabbed a standard from JJ.

Feel like a quick and dirty rundown of your settings. I am getting some amazing lead tones, great mid gain, cleans etc. but still struggling with Rhythm tones. I def. have not nailed anything close to what I was getting with the Fryette Ultra-Lead for a Rhythm tone.

Cheers

Great, glad you lads seem to like it :)
Coop said:
Yes please! Good shit Nolly. I need to grab some of your patches as soon as I get a midi Interface. I just grabbed a standard from JJ.

Feel like a quick and dirty rundown of your settings. I am getting some amazing lead tones, great mid gain, cleans etc. but still struggling with Rhythm tones. I def. have not nailed anything close to what I was getting with the Fryette Ultra-Lead for a Rhythm tone.

Cheers

Hmm, briefly, we've got:

T808 boost, set drive 0, tone halfway, level max

PVH 5105, drive 9 o clock, bass 1:30, mids halfway, treble 1:00
presence/depth/damp/sag all around 1:30, Mstr 2:30
Warmth and Thump turned up to around 3-5

G-EQ boosting 125 and 4k, cutting slightly at 63, 500, 1k and 8k.

RedWire Mesa Recto cab, SM57 4" cap edge

Post-EQ in DAW, plus Multiband comp, Valve warmth and Exciter plug-ins.

I actually just discovered this same signal chain last week. I've decided on the 808OD -> 5105 -> 4x12v30 -> PEQ. Sounds great man!

That sounds incredible ! Any chance you could post the patch or a recording before you added the post treatment I would love to hear the naked axe tone

Thanks guys, to answer the post-EQ thing - it's got low and high pass filters, then small boosts around 125Hz, 500Hz, 3500Hz and 7800Hz.
Basically, I recorded this on an existing song's project file, so in order to preserve the other track's sound I kept the post-EQ the same and tweaked the tone coming out of the axe to suit.

Back
Top Bottom