Bluetooth transmitter for headphones out?

Dpoirier

Fractal Fanatic
I'm finding a need to get some signal from my headphones out on the Fractal unit in order to hear my playing a bit better during rehearsals - the room we rehearse in has poor acoustics, and we don't want to mess with the mix because it's just right in recordings (we record every rehearsal as a learning tool). I was thinking with headphones straight from my AxeFx, I'd be fine... But I can't be bothered with wired headphones. Since I have a decent pair of Bluetooth ear buds, I figured I already have half the solution.

Are there any decent Bluetooth transmitters that can take the headphones out from the Axe? Amazon has a million cheap-looking Chinese units many well rated but I no longer have any faith in Amazon ratings (ever since I was offered free items in exchange for 5-star reviews).

Last edited:
Oh shoot... I was blindly expecting that new bluetooth protocols (5.0, aptX, etc) had made latency a problem of the past. But I'm not at all current on that topic

Other than bluetooth, are there other wireless solutions, preferably in the earbuds format?

I am no expert in this area either. I have seen aptX low-latency headphones advertised as having about 40 ms of latency. I think for most musicians that would be undesirable.

Don't use BT, the latency makes it unusable!
If wireless than IE, select a good transmitter / receiver set and add any wired earphones you would like.

I just got a set of these for wireless silent practice: https://ca.yamaha.com/en/products/m...s_basses/amps_accessories/yh-wl500/index.html

Not perfect, but not actually that bad either.

Cool. The spec on these is 4 ms of latency. How do you find playing with that latency? I assume you are plugging into the headphone jack of the Fractal? How about overall sound? I saw your other post about things sounding different in your monitors vs. in-ears. How about these headphones - how do they compare to your monitors (or other wired headphones)?

Cool. The spec on these is 4 ms of latency. How do you find playing with that latency? I assume you are plugging into the headphone jack of the Fractal? How about overall sound? I saw your other post about things sounding different in your monitors vs. in-ears. How about these headphones - how do they compare to your monitors (or other wired headphones)?
The latency is really not noticeable to me, so I don't have any problems with that. They use the 2.4GHz frequency (same as WiFi and Bluetooth), so there is the potential for interference if you have a lot going on nearby in that spectrum. It hasn't really been a problem for me in my apartment, but YMMV. On the plus side, they support simultaneous bluetooth, so I can play wirelessly with my Fractal and with a backing track streamed via bluetooth at the same time. In terms of sound, I find them to be a bit boomy in the low-end compared to my studio monitors and in-ears, so yeah... me figuring out a solid EQ strategy will apply to these as well.

Back
Top Bottom