Blocks and routing questions?

Danny Danzi

Power User
Hi everyone,

I've been enjoying my AxeFxII since Tuesday afternoon. Killer piece! I do have a load of questions that I'm hoping someone will be able to answer for me please?

Using this pic as my next question: AxFxConfig.JPG

1. Can you tell me WHY the first block would be skipped over?

2. WHY does this chain start with the second block down from the top left?

3. WHY could it not start at the first block on the top left and what would the pros/cons be to starting at the top left or bottom left?

4. I just don't quite understand the grid system on this at all. I see how things hook up, but I can't see why they'd be hooked up like this. Can you explain the blocking system to me please?

5. Another example...sometimes I see blocks all filled up with effects and then there will be a section later in the chain where they skip a block, run a shunt and then run another effect AFTER the shunt? Why did they skip the block?

6. Are the Effects Loop options (sends/returns you can add to blocks) just for external effects or can we route the virtual effects into them like we would a real amp?

7. Ammended to question 6, where would you put them in the blocks if you wanted to do it like a real amp rig? You know...all your front end effects like wah, eq, compression, talk box and the like right into the front of the amp, all your processing gear like verb, flange, delay, chorus etc into your effects loop to keep things clean. I saw the book said "for external effects" but I don't recall seeing this could be used in our block chain.

*Side note* Is that why in some presets, effects are AFTER amp--cab? Is that the equal to using an effects loop in the back of your amp....meaning the signal is not in the direct "front of the amp" signal?

I'm not the sharpest knife in the drawer, but I'm pretty decent at this stuff...yet I'm totally lost on how some of this stuff works and WHY.

Thanks for your time in advance. :)

"There is no particular reason" is the answer to many of your questions. You can start at any box and work towards the right, as long as you have a connection all the way across. Some people like to leave blank (shunted) boxes for future changes or because they deleted a block, and people seem to like to use the second row so they can add stuff in parallel above or below, but you could use the top row if you prefer, you can start at the first column if you prefer, you can start in the bottom middle if you prefer--you have lots of flexibility.

The Axe-FX II Manual has quite a bit about the grid system starting on page 28.

Danny W.

Hey man,

Well first of all welcome to the wonderland! Its gonna be one hell of a ride. You just need a good set of ears, a tuned guitar and some patience or "time".
It can get a bit puzzling sometimes. But it gets easy once you play with it for a while.
You should start by reading the wiki guide on the Axe2. Just google axe fx II wiki and it'll be among the first results. Thats a detailed guide that might and will help you a ton.
Well if you have the column/row concept a row is a horizontal line and a column a vertical line. On the Axe you get sound as long as you join instrument an output on the grid. What row you pick wont matter, and what block space you start on doesnt matter either. If you use comp, start with it, then add a wah, a drive, an amp and a cab. At the end I always add some reverb. The spaces left in between are always usable, and you can rearrange everything on the move page in the layout menu. Empty spaces wont matter, nor shunts as long as the line goes from start to finish. For fx order its infinite. Modulations sometimes work better after the cab and sometimes before the amp. I like flangers and choruses after the cab and phasers before the amp. I change orders for different sounds as in more dramatic, or just mildly altering.
For me a normal rock patch would be:
Comp-wah-peq-drv-amp-cab-flange-delay-revrb
Some of them will be bypassed and will work independently for pedalboard use.
I start on row 2 that way I have space up and down for parallel fx or even a complete new row with diff settings for dual amp tones or piezo equipped guitars.

You have total freedom as to how you route your rig within the presets. You have scenes which are one of the best latest incorporations to the Axe2.
You can do very complex settings using double rows and the send/return blocks.
The fx loop is great to incorporate a second party device or single fx to your grid. You pick where you want it and you got it.
I use it for the Roland Gr20 synth. Add the fxloop block just at the end of a different row, and adjust level and get your synth-equipped guitar into the preset.
Ive been speaking always about connections in the grid, not the Axe. Just to be clear.
Check the I/O and dont mess with anything other than output 1 mode and output 2 mode depending on your setup.
Set the instrument input level with your main guitar.
Tune up and enjoy. Check the forum, enlightened minds share all their knowledge on a daily basis. The founding fathers always look on to their kin and give help in all matters pertaining your quest. Hahaha. Hope you can get your best tones soon.

"There is no particular reason" is the answer to many of your questions. You can start at any box and work towards the right, as long as you have a connection all the way across. Some people like to leave blank (shunted) boxes for future changes or because they deleted a block, and people seem to like to use the second row so they can add stuff in parallel above or below, but you could use the top row if you prefer, you can start at the first column if you prefer, you can start in the bottom middle if you prefer--you have lots of flexibility.

Danny W.

Thanks Danny, much appreciated. That's exactly what I was looking for. I just didn't get if it was supposed to be a 4 tiered pedal board or the top 2 rows being lefts, the middle and bottom being rights...it just sort of seemed weird to me. Thanks again.

Hey man,

Well first of all welcome to the wonderland! Its gonna be one hell of a ride. You just need a good set of ears, a tuned guitar and some patience or "time".
It can get a bit puzzling sometimes. But it gets easy once you play with it for a while.
You should start by reading the wiki guide on the Axe2. Just google axe fx II wiki and it'll be among the first results. Thats a detailed guide that might and will help you a ton.
Well if you have the column/row concept a row is a horizontal line and a column a vertical line. On the Axe you get sound as long as you join instrument an output on the grid. What row you pick wont matter, and what block space you start on doesnt matter either. If you use comp, start with it, then add a wah, a drive, an amp and a cab. At the end I always add some reverb. The spaces left in between are always usable, and you can rearrange everything on the move page in the layout menu. Empty spaces wont matter, nor shunts as long as the line goes from start to finish. For fx order its infinite. Modulations sometimes work better after the cab and sometimes before the amp. I like flangers and choruses after the cab and phasers before the amp. I change orders for different sounds as in more dramatic, or just mildly altering.
For me a normal rock patch would be:
Comp-wah-peq-drv-amp-cab-flange-delay-revrb
Some of them will be bypassed and will work independently for pedalboard use.
I start on row 2 that way I have space up and down for parallel fx or even a complete new row with diff settings for dual amp tones or piezo equipped guitars.

You have total freedom as to how you route your rig within the presets. You have scenes which are one of the best latest incorporations to the Axe2.
You can do very complex settings using double rows and the send/return blocks.
The fx loop is great to incorporate a second party device or single fx to your grid. You pick where you want it and you got it.
I use it for the Roland Gr20 synth. Add the fxloop block just at the end of a different row, and adjust level and get your synth-equipped guitar into the preset.
Ive been speaking always about connections in the grid, not the Axe. Just to be clear.
Check the I/O and dont mess with anything other than output 1 mode and output 2 mode depending on your setup.
Set the instrument input level with your main guitar.
Tune up and enjoy. Check the forum, enlightened minds share all their knowledge on a daily basis. The founding fathers always look on to their kin and give help in all matters pertaining your quest. Hahaha. Hope you can get your best tones soon.

Takara: Thanks a lot! Another great and informative reply. Yeah I have a good understanding of this baby in such a short amount of time....I just was unclear as to how the grid was set up. I read the book but didn't feel I got the answers I was looking for. It makes sense to me now, thanks again. :)

Back
Top Bottom