Blindtest: FW9 vs FW11

No surprise here. I think FW 11 spanks FW 9. Once again, not that FW 9 sounded bad or anything. But the mids in FW 9 are, in my opinion, a little over-exaggerated. Just checked out your balanced patch sound too. Isn't that FAS 6160 nice?

IMHO that test would have made most sense if you'd taken one non v9 or v11, neutral ground third party IR for both clips. still interesting to hear though.

Well, I did mess around with FW9 settings on one of my favorite patches yesterday, and I personally prefer FW11. I was using FAS Modern II (so mimic didn't really matter), and a custom made OH cab mix (Mesa V32 and Marshall CB Ch V30 - both using SM57 and R121) that I know is a winner every time for me, and I even "tweaked" my amp settings to better represent FW 9 sound.

Like I've said before, it's not that FW9 sounds "bad" or anything. I think that FW11 fits a mix better and gives dynamic excitement (positive excitement) to my guitars in the mix. FW9 does sound a bit more "polished" or "slick" as people have been saying... it just comes down to a matter of preference I guess. It's my opinion that FW 11 sounds and responds much more like a recorded tube amp.

I would much rather record a signal that sounded more like an amp and deal with the various mixing issues that come along with it than be limited by a "shiny" digital sound. My opinion, of course.

With the drum I couldn't hear a difference. Where does sample B start exactly?
with the guitar alone I definitely prefer the version A.

Just catching up, but I would have voted A as v11. The changes Cliff described to revert to v9 type sound seemed to basically remove some of the edge/fizz/attack/pick-your-term which would result in a smoother sound. That plus the darker v9 IR made the differences clearly audible to me on my system (nice 4.1 KEF speakers.)

TT

In my opinion, part A sounds vastly better. Part A sounds more present and open, and Part B sounds congested and unfocused. I can hear a significant difference in both the band and solo guitar situations (listening through Audio Technica ATH-M50 headphones). I think Cliff did wonders when he released v11.

remember, this test shows a stock preset for v11 on v11

that same preset used on "v9" in this test may sound bad in comparison, but you would adjust it to sound good for what v9 had to offer.

so you'd probably increase the presence, roll off some bass, etc etc to get it to sound good in v9.

this test in no way shows that we all sounded like back when we had v9.

No idea which is which, but I like A better. But what do I know, I'm still using v9 with *gasp* v8 modeling.

I listened to this when the thread was started and preferred A (which I assumed and guessed to be FW11) however if you're using different cabs then I don't think that fully shows us the amp modeling. It's not like you're stuck with the FW9 IRs when using FW9.

Back
Top Bottom