Blank Scribble Strip

blackmoreguitar

Experienced
Hi, looking for some advice; the top right scribble strip on my FM9 was blank tonight. The switch still works but the scribble strip has no text, but is lit up. It is the same regardless of what layout is selected. I tried rebooting with no luck, went into the foot switch settings in FM9 Edit where all looked normal, and then decided to update the firmware to the latest (Dyna Cab) version but the problem remains.

I remember having an issue with my FM3 scribble strips and there was a procedure to fix it but can't remember the specifics.

Any idea if there is a way to fix this before I go down the customer service route?

Thanks

Tom

Hi Tom,

Sorry to hear about your scribble strip issue on the FM9. I had a similar situation with my unit a while ago. Here's a troubleshooting method that worked for me:

Hard Reset: First, back up all your presets and system settings using FM9 Edit, just to be safe. Then, perform a hard reset. To do this, power off your FM9, then press and hold the 'HOME' button while you power the unit back on. You'll be asked to confirm the reset. This might clear any software glitches that could be causing the issue.

Re-install Firmware: If the hard reset didn't help, you might want to try re-installing the firmware. Sometimes, the issue may persist even after an update if there was a problem during the initial installation.

Factory Preset Refresh: Another thing you can try is a factory preset refresh. You can do this by downloading the latest Factory Presets from the Fractal Audio website and reloading them onto your FM9.

Remember, these steps are in the order of 'least potential data loss' to 'most potential data loss', so make sure you have all your presets and settings backed up before attempting them.

If none of these steps resolve the problem, you may indeed have a hardware issue on your hands.

Hi Tom,

Sorry to hear about your scribble strip issue on the FM9. I had a similar situation with my unit a while ago. Here's a troubleshooting method that worked for me:

Hard Reset: First, back up all your presets and system settings using FM9 Edit, just to be safe. Then, perform a hard reset. To do this, power off your FM9, then press and hold the 'HOME' button while you power the unit back on. You'll be asked to confirm the reset. This might clear any software glitches that could be causing the issue.

Re-install Firmware: If the hard reset didn't help, you might want to try re-installing the firmware. Sometimes, the issue may persist even after an update if there was a problem during the initial installation.

Factory Preset Refresh: Another thing you can try is a factory preset refresh. You can do this by downloading the latest Factory Presets from the Fractal Audio website and reloading them onto your FM9.

Remember, these steps are in the order of 'least potential data loss' to 'most potential data loss', so make sure you have all your presets and settings backed up before attempting them.

If none of these steps resolve the problem, you may indeed have a hardware issue on your hands.

Hi, thanks for the detailed reply!

When I played the FM9 the following day, the display was working again, but a bit faint. After a while it looked as it should but eventually faded away. Next day it came on and then faded again. Since then it's been OK.

My take on this is that its definitely a hardware issue, possibly one of the connections is poor either in a connector or a subpar solder joint or something.

It's fine right now but I guess it will eventually fail. I will see how it goes and probably end up contacting support: I have too much other stuff going on right now to think about it.

Hi, Tom,
Like you, I encountered a similar problem where one of my scribble scripts wasn't working at all. The resolution was to reboot and check again.
The problem subsided and has not yet returned.
If, however, your scribble script problem persists, it sounds like a hardware issue. Contact FAS Customer Service ASAP, and they'll get it sorted out for you. Downside is you pay shipping to FAS. If you're still covered by warranty, the repair and return shipping is no charge.

Back
Top Bottom