Bit Crusher drive algo

Bodde

Fractal Fanatic
Experimenting some more with the Bit Crusher drive algo.

few questions:
1) when you play a note it complete dies after 2 seconds. How can you make the sustain longer for this algo? I have tried to decrease the bit reduce but that changes the sound too much. makes it too clean.
2) what does the 'slew limit' and the 'bias' actually do in this algo? I don't hear much difference when adjusting these.
3) What are some settings you guys use for this algo (and for what context)? and what combinations with other blocks?

Curious about your experiences with this. I hear some potential in this algo.

Have you tried triggering a compressor block in front of that? Then the signal into the agorithm would be more sustained to begin with.

Have you tried triggering a compressor block in front of that? Then the signal into the agorithm would be more sustained to begin with.

Yes I have tried that. Helps a little bit but it doesn't prevent the notes for dying out so fast.

It's a bit crusher... it does exactly what you tell it to do ;-) It can be subtle or extreme. I use it all the time for ultra nasty sounds or a touch of lo-res grit. Without a diatribe, I think you just need to play with it to learn its secrets. Some ideas: try filters before and after. Use them for both tone AND gain staging. Try it in series with another type of drive block. Try two bit crushers in a stereo configuration. Try modifiers. Have fun. You'll learn along the way.

A bit crusher before and/or after an amp block with no cab/null cab/1x6 cab is a very enjoyable and freaky experience.

It's a bit crusher... it does exactly what you tell it to do ;-) It can be subtle or extreme. I use it all the time for ultra nasty sounds or a touch of lo-res grit. Without a diatribe, I think you just need to play with it to learn its secrets. Some ideas: try filters before and after. Use them for both tone AND gain staging. Try it in series with another type of drive block. Try two bit crushers in a stereo configuration. Try modifiers. Have fun. You'll learn along the way.

ok, thanks! I like it a lot. The only thing I don't like is that the notes die out very abruptly after 2 seconds. No matter what setting I use.

I also like it for ring mod type of sounds by reducing the sample rate. Only thing is that when reducing the sample rate the sound gets also much duller. But that might be the nature of the sampe rate reduction (?).

It is. Lowering sample rate reduces the high frequencies. It's essentially a sharp high cut at half the sample rate.

ok thanks. I didn't know that reducing the sample rate had such a high impact on the treble.

This video gave me some more ideas for the bit crusher. I am going to try to combine the bit crusher with an octaver or synth block or filter. Only have to find a solution for the abrubt dying of the notes in the algo:

Made some recordings today with some new sounds using the bit crusher with some other blocks. First one is a soundscape with bass guitar. I combined the bit crusher with a ring modulator. Second one is with fretless guitar. Using the bit crusher here along with the synth block. Very cool sounds!

Made some recordings today with some new sounds using the bit crusher with some other blocks. First one is a soundscape with bass guitar. I combined the bit crusher with a ring modulator. Second one is with fretless guitar. Using the bit crusher here along with the synth block. Very cool sounds!

I would love to see how you put the bass preset together! preset?

Hey! That Bass-ring-crush thing is awesome! Mind sharing pre preset? :)

I would love to see how you put the bass preset together! preset?

ok guys here you go!
pedal 2 is bypassing the Megatap and Ring Mod blocks and at the same time engaging the MultiDelay.
pedal 1 is for volume swells

Please let me know if it works and what you think.

Attachments

• Bass Ring Crush Barend Tromp.syx
    6.3 KB · Views: 26

YES!!!! Love these. Great job.

J

Great sounding stuff . . pure Fripp/Eno. Love it. Thanks for posting.:)

Very cool indeed! Thanks for giving us some ideas on how to combine the bit crusher and synth blocks!

That Bass Ring Crush track sounds like the type of synthy spacey sounds from Mass Effect. Yeah I had just noticed the sustain in the bit crusher has a huge drop off just over a week ago. Think it would make a great sort of fuzz effect for bass as well.

Nice job on this preset! Sounds great on a non-bass guitar as well.

Adding a slight detune via the pitch block or chorus makes it sound extra huge.

Also, it's very interesting how many new and interesting tones are available without using a cab.

Back
Top Bottom