Best way to hook up AXE FX 2 to AXE FX XL

RONJONES2020

Inspired
Many of us hopefully will have the new AX FX XL leaving us with our trusty AX FX 2 to sell or continue to use. I plan on hooking my AXE FX 2 up to my AXE FX XL and would appreciate some guidance on how to best do this.

I have some ideas already but don't want to waste my time if the pros already know how to do this (I assume obviously the FX LOOP is used).

Here is what I hope to accomplish using two 4*12 MESA BOOGIE CABINETS and a mesa SIMUL power amp:

A) Load a patch on both UNITS and blend them both together out of each cab in stereo.

or

B) Load a patch from the XL out of one cab and another patch from the FX 2 out of the other cab (for some very cool blending).

Option B actually has me the most excited and really hope it can be accomplished.

Thanks guys!

Well the SIMUL power amp has stereo inputs and outputs, so you don't to connect both Fractal units together.

Yes but my guitar has to plug into one of the units.
Remember I want to use both Axe's at the same time..

I know there are many ways here but if I do what you suggest can I get a chord that splits and will input into both units from my guitar? Ive never seen that done before.

Thanks

You would need an A/B/Y box or a Lehle Split to split your guitar signal. That would be the cleaner way to do it.

Seems to me you're just wanting to use both units, when one would do.

Unless you're running 4 amps simultaneously, why aren't you using the blending capabilities in one unit? Using some delay, you can have separate paths and get the spread I *think* your looking for. If the poweramp does stereo, you can work that out too. If it's just 'I want to do both', then why would you not put one signal out the FX loop into the other Axe?

But if you have two, jump out and have as much fun as you like.

R

Another option is one Axe in the FX loop of the other. That would let you do more routing/FX schemes than guitar - Y box - Axes. You could use SPDIF/AES instead of analog Out 2 to eliminate extra noise from D-A-D conversion on the way to the second Axe.

Seems to me you're just wanting to use both units, when one would do.

Unless you're running 4 amps simultaneously, why aren't you using the blending capabilities in one unit? Using some delay, you can have separate paths and get the spread I *think* your looking for. If the poweramp does stereo, you can work that out too. If it's just 'I want to do both', then why would you not put one signal out the FX loop into the other Axe?

But if you have two, jump out and have as much fun as you like.

R

You are 100% right. I am guilty of just trying to have fun of owning two units. However I do have eight monitors going as well so I could take advantage of the 4 amps at once! Thanks for the idea kind sir! I also didn't want to admit it but I mainly wanted to try blending some cool tones I have going from my Kemper out of one cab and others from the axe out of the other cab. My receiving an XL allowed me to safely ask the question but my not wanting to now sound like a total idiot made me admit the truth and say the K word! Doh. Sorry.

Also yes FX loop was my intention all along. I was just double checking (I will use the splitter box with the kemper. Doh I said it again!) I know I can make a separate path an the FX LOOP in it to the K word and pan the cab to get the same result but I find that adds extra "buzzing" noises I cant seem to get rid of (a splitter would resolve this).

Last edited:
I ordered the splitter and plan on playing one axe fx out of the stereo cabs and the other ax fx out of the eight monitors I have setup. Perhaps a nice acoustic simulator patch with a rock patch might blend nicely. There are unlimited possibilities. I am mega pumped.

Thanks for the help guys!

Is there anything you can't achieve with just one Axe?
If not, I wouldn't bother using two. ;)

On a more serious note, I would hook up the MFC to both axes using one with the ethernet connection and the other via MIDI 5 pin.
Then I would make a giant preset covering almost all song material I have and never have to change presets again.
...and then realize that 8 scenes aren't enough for that idea and go back to using just one Axe.

Back
Top Bottom