Best way to back-up entire system?

Danny Danzi

Power User
Hi guys,

I think I've been "over-backing" things up. I'm wondering if that's the case? When I do a back-up due to new firmware, this is how I do it.

All of my created patches are on A bank. So if I go in fractal bot and select just A bank and system with cabs, is that good enough?

What I usually do because I don't trust this method, is to go back and back up each individual preset I have created. This as you know, takes a lot of time. So does backing up A bank get all my sounds if that's where they all are?

Also, it says on the back-up in fractal bot that cabs 50 on up are NOT saved....yet in my backup, I see 100. Has the wording not been updated in FB?

In case I've confused anyone...this is my backup screen. Does this get all my sounds and cabs in one shot plus system settings?

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/4909348/BackupAxII.JPG

Or do I need to do what I've been doing backing up individual presets and cabs? Thanks in advance.

it says user cabs above 50 are not included in the System Settings backup. those words are under the System Settings section.

the User Cabs check box grabs all 100 on the II. i'm not sure about the XL.

if you back up Bank A, and your presets are included in Bank A, then your presets which are in Bank A are backed up when you back up Bank A.

if you aren't sure, test it now. back up Bank A and then find your presets.

but if you didn't trust Bank A saving presets in Bank A, will you trust anything someone here says?

I believe the backup of cabs 1-50 you're seeing is included in the system backup. Your also selecting "Backup all cabs" which in my experience gets them all. I backup just like your describing before a firmware update and although I've fortunately never needed it, it's all there if I do. I've restored individual presets from those full bank backups too.

Depends on the Axe-Fx version.

Prior to XL, user cabs 50 and up are not included in system backup.
This came in handy, because you can store fee IR in cab slots 0-50, and commercial ones in 50 and up, and not be violating copyrights when exchanging System.

Backing up the System data of a XL does not include ANY user cabs at all. It contains only system settings and global block data.

Depends on the Axe-Fx version.

Prior to XL, user cabs 50 and up are not included in system backup.
This came in handy, because you can store fee IR in cab slots 0-50, and commercial ones in 50 and up, and not be violating copyrights when exchanging System.

Backing up the System data of a XL does not include ANY user cabs at all. It contains only system settings and global block data.

Right...and if you look at the pic I posted, it says they won't be included. Yet, they DO show up, yek...that's where I'm lost. LOL!

That's because you probably selected 'back up user cabs'. That instructs FB to backup those as separate files (100 on a non-XL), while those first 50 are included in the system data file itself on non-XL devices and won't show up as indiv. files.

Tip: you can backup all your individual presets in one go: in Axe-Edit's Preset Manager select them, right-click and select Export.
This will export them as separate files. Make sure to specify in Prefs whether to save them WITH or WITHOUT global block links, if you use those. When selecting WITH, you also need to backup the SYSTEM.

That's because you probably selected 'back up user cabs'. That instructs FB to backup those as separate files (100 on a non-XL), while those first 50 are included in the system data file itself on non-XL devices and won't show up as indiv. files.

Tip: you can backup all your individual presets in one go: in Axe-Edit's Preset Manager select them, right-click and select Export.
This will export them as separate files. Make sure to specify in Prefs whether to save them WITH or WITHOUT global block links, if you use those. When selecting WITH, you also need to backup the SYSTEM.

Awesome, thanks so much for that, yek. I'm glad I know how this stuff sort of works now. I was definitely over-doing it. :)

Back
Top Bottom