Best way to alternate rhythm and lead

I use scenes to kick on:

1. Compressor - little more sustain
2. Drive pedal - maybe. Depends on what I'm going for. More saturation.
3. Filter block - after amp, with about 3-5dB of added volume and maybe a slight roll-off of the high frequencies. This helps it sound fat and get louder without cutting someone's head off.
4. Delay - slightly higher mix than for rhythm work, 3-4 audible repeats, trails enabled so switching back to rhythm is smooth.

Usually scenes 1-4 are my clean and/or rhythms and 5 is my lead scene.

Thanks, today I found that 3dB is really not enough to give me the boost I need to play a lead. I think 4-6dB sounds like a great suggestion. However, I did find a noticeable delay from the time I hit the Scene Inc button on the MFC-101 until it kicked in. Not that long, but noticeable, at least compared to what I got with my JMP-1.

Morphing with an expression pedal works great. Try this preset. I can't share the IR for the lead amp (cab 2), just use the same ASEM Recto IR and tweak the 5 bands EQ to make it less scooped
With a little more trickery only one amp can be used for that too

Attachments

• Morphing rhythm - lead.syx
    6.3 KB · Views: 7
  • 033-ASEM Recto V30 L2.syx
    10.6 KB · Views: 5
I've experimented with a few ways. Scene selection is the only one I can keep straight in my head. I have 5 scenes on bottom row: (1) clean, (2) clean lead +6db, (3) FX (delay/flange/rotary/whatever), (4) crunch, (5) crunch lead +6db

I try to set scenes 1 and 4 to about same volume output, and 2 and 5 about the same (maybe slightly louder on crunch). With this setup I can always remember what's where for instant access.

Sometimes I like using expression pedal for morphing in or out of tremolo, or go clean tremolo to distortion w/o tremolo (like a live version of Proud Mary), or sometimes use expression pedal for morphing slight crunch to heavy crunch. But when I do fancier setups for particular songs or effects, I forget how I set it up if I don't use it for a while.

I use two amp blocks on most presets, one for rhythm and one for lead. I carve the lead block for tone...clarity without a lot of bass. Then I set them up to be equal in volume against a backing track, and often with a db meter.

I put a null filter in that gets triggered when the lead block comes on, and it adds about 2.5-3db. That's a global block, so all my presets can get the same amount of lead boost.

I'm surprised to hear people boosting 4-6db; to me, the null filter seems really touchy between 2 and 3db, and I hardly ever feel like I need more than 2.5db. Anyone else have similar experience? Maybe I'm just ashamed of my lead playing.

I distinguish gain from "louder".

I have a "louder" footswitch that engages a post GEQ. The GEQ is 5 band passive with a mid boost and a level increase. The exact settings depend on your guitar and taste. The more mid boost you add the less level boost you need and vice versa.

I can use my "louder" with clean, drive, crunch, lead tones, etc.

In addition, I use the guitar volume, guitar tone and guitar pickup selector extensively to get different tones and play different sections of the songs.

I use my Boss volume pedal, connected to Pedaljack on the back of thew Axe, so I always have headroom if a song gets louder or more quiet, plus when I use the pedaljack in the back of the Axe and I decrease the volume it does not decrease the gain on my preset like it does when I use the volumeknob on guitar....

Hey Guys when setting up scenes, how do I bank through my presets since the the first 5 IA switches are scene IA's
thanks jack

I distinguish gain from "louder".

I have a "louder" footswitch that engages a post GEQ. The GEQ is 5 band passive with a mid boost and a level increase. The exact settings depend on your guitar and taste. The more mid boost you add the less level boost you need and vice versa.

I can use my "louder" with clean, drive, crunch, lead tones, etc.

In addition, I use the guitar volume, guitar tone and guitar pickup selector extensively to get different tones and play different sections of the songs.

I do exactly this. 5 band passive post cab. I cut a little low and high and slight hump in the mids. Then level to give volume boost. Use scenes to select.

I use Scenes and Scene modifiers to adjust the tone of one Amp Block in order to achieve my basic clean and dirty tones. I'll then engage (un-bypass using Scenes) "lead boost" blocks (for both clean and dirty) consisting of a post amp/cab EQ block (3 band, with mids boosted to taste) and adding delay. I can also further tweak the amount of gain and output using the Scene modifier I've got attached to the amp block's input Gain and output Level for even more flexibility.

Per preset: Scene 1 = clean; Scene 2 = dirty rhythm; Scene 3 = Clean Lead; Scene 4 = Dirty Lead; Scene 5 = wildcard

Since I prefer High quality modes for the "always on" reverb and the preamp emulation in the Cab block, and Ultra-Res cab IRs, I like that I don't necessarily need to switch amps or X/Y states in order to get a decent range of sounds from one amp, and without risking cpu overload or sacrificing the best resolution processing available.

When I want to change to a radically different amp tone, I set up a different preset with the same layout for clean/dirty/lead.

Hey guys
got a ? for you I wanna use scenes as well once i set up my on the first 5 IA switches , do I bank through my presets using the up and down Switches
Thanks Jack

Hey guys
got a ? for you I wanna use scenes as well once i set up my on the first 5 IA switches , do I bank through my presets using the up and down Switches
Thanks Jack

With the reveal button on the mfc you can select between preset mode and IA mode, loopermode also if you use it.

Back
Top Bottom