Best Mid-Priced Active Monitors

I'm running the Yamaha HS50s in my home studio and have been very happy with their performance. They offer tone-shaping options to help you in "tuning" to the room and put out good power. Overall, they are a very balanced monitor, IMO but do lack some of the low end due to their size as compared to the larger HS80s.

The one thing I've learned over the years is that whatever monitors you end up with, you will learn to mix with whatever nuances those speakers offer as your ears get used to them and you develop your recording skills.

I think the Equator D5's are the hands down best low cost monitors if you are buying new.

Equator D5 Coaxial Studio Monitors for Home or Studio. Active Nearfield Monitors.

Not so sure. I had a pair of D5s and had issues. Two pairs, and both pairs had bass chuff from one speaker only. I could have mixed the pairs and been fine - but I elected to use a different speaker. Anything with a 50% factory issue wasnt going to work for me.

I went for a pair of Adam A5Xs which were a little more - but only £50 each so the same price range. Much flatter response. The D5s were more bass heavy and had a kind of separation between the lower and upper frequencies. The A5Xs were much more coherent.

Of course price comes into things. We in the UK have different pricing to the US. Generally we pay the same in £ as those in the US do in $ - but not always.

The D5s cost me £400 for the pair, where as the Adams cost me £500. If the "normal" rule applies both speakers are under $350 each, and the Adam is IMO the better choice (by quite a bit) - however that may not be the case.

Anybody else have issues with Equator D5s?

And, if I do go with them, should I buy direct? It seems local retailing is limited.

Last edited:
I see that KRK has come out with a gen 3 version of the Rokit series. Has anybody tried these?
Are they much different than the gen 2s (which you can get pretty cheap now...)?

If you could come up with a little more $, Sonodyne's blow the pants of the Rockits etc. Not a well known company, but they will be!

$350.00 is not 'mid priced' in the world of studio monitors. More in the $500-$1000 per speaker range I'd say

I won't even dignify the Behrries - keep away from that company - their stuff is for shite - except their auralex clone - they cloned a for shite design with for shite construction very well indeed!

Yeah, I talked about the "mid-priced" thing earlier. I'm amazed at how expensive small monitors can be (looking at the Sweetwater catalog-Genelec, ATC, etc.)

How about the Equator D5s vs the D8s? I don't need anything huge.

Adam a5x....little over your price range but they are great. U can get maybe second hand in the price range u are looking for.
Or u can get the a3x.

I played atomic clr, own matrix q12 and adams sound pretty close to the FRFRs mentioned. I had also yamaha hs80m and some tannoys...dont wanna offend anyone...but they are no go!

I noticed the M-Audio BXs don't have any EQ controls on the back while most others do.

Should I care about these adjustments?

No issues here with my D5's...I bought a pair of CLR wedges for gigs etc. and could have returned the D5's thanks to their awesome return policy but elected to keep them... as good as you'll find for $400.00. I would love to hear the D8's...

Back
Top Bottom