Best Guitar Pickups below the Duncan/Dimarzio price point.

stm113

Power User
I thought it would be cool to discuss our experiences with lesser priced pickup brands.

Has anyone had any experience with something that fits the subject or below description?

I am in the market for 3 sets of pups for 3 Ibanez SCA 220 guitars. Early 2000’s made saber classics: Mahogany saber body, bolt on Maple neck/Rosewood fingerboard, hard tail bridge. I plan to use 1 for each tuning
1/2 Step down + Drop Db
1 step down + Drop C
1 1/2 step Down dropped- Drop B.

I am going to want to have the same tone so I’ll likely be buying the same pups, probably just bridge pup. The used market right now is stupid, if I am only going to save $15-20 buying a used pickup then I’ll just buy new.

I’m curious about brands like Tesla, Tone Rider, Iron Gear etc.

The kinds of tones I want for these guitars are like 2002-2004 Sevendust, Sound of Madness era Shinedown, and KSE End of the Heartache/ Holy Diver (but not active) type. I want warmth but not mud, and a cut but not ice picky and definitely no cocked wah tone. 11-13 dc on the output seems to be my comfort.

I had Dimarzio Tone Zone in 2 of them that’s when I was playing mostly through a Line 6 Vetta. I put the guitars away about the same time I got my AF2 a decade ago, when I tried them again through a better modeling platform, the TZs were just too muddy. The last non SD pickup I’ve been taken with is a Carvin M22SD in a mid 90’s Iceman (IC300) basswood body w/maple/rosewood bolt on.

I realize this isn't what your asking, but...I'm still able to find used Dimarzio's and Duncans for $20-40/pickup regularly. I actually just picked up some Suhr pickups for $40 each.

I realize this isn't what your asking, but...I'm still able to find used Dimarzio's and Duncans for $20-40/pickup regularly. I actually just picked up some Suhr pickups for $40 each.
Wow, where are you finding deals like that?

The old IBZUSA pickups are nice and are actually DiMarzio...

I've had decent results with GFS (Guitar Fetish) pickups.

I've had FAT PAT humbucker (recently sold that guitar) and another one (don't recall the model, but similar specs) that worked great.

I've got Dream 180s in a recent build and I've also got a Tele with their rail pickups.

Back
Top Bottom