Best add-ons for your FM9?

I've ordered a Temple Audio Design DUO 34 pedalboard for my FM9 on the way home. Now I need to make a good choice for a case. I'm thinking a solid travel case. And I need a good expression pedal. Whew. I haven't even plugged her in yet!!!

I've ordered a Temple Audio Design DUO 34 pedalboard for my FM9 on the way home. Now I need to make a good choice for a case. I'm thinking a solid travel case. And I need a good expression pedal. Whew. I haven't even plugged her in yet!!!
Good choice. Sweetwater recently had Temple Duo 34 gig bags available, but if you want something high-end, try https://studioslips.com for some quality custom clamshell gig bags. The EV-1 (or 2 of them) can safely be added to one or either side of the FM9.

I've currently got an EV-1 and 2 external switches wired in, with soon to add StroboStomp tuner between the 2 externals. My guitar tech buddy and I are working towards building/installing an EIC/AC mains circuit box that will attach under the board and power both the StroboStomp and FM9.

[…] if you want something high-end, try https://studioslips.com for some quality custom clamshell gig bags. […]
If people go for the Studio Slips Temple Audio bag I'd recommend asking them to make the bag a little bit bigger to accommodate the added height from the FM unit mounted on the board. Studio Slips designed the Temple Audio bags to fit those boards with standard height pedals, which the FM9, FM3 and FC are not. I had them create a version of the Temple Audio bag for the Duo 24 + FM9, so they have the dimensions, but odds are good they'll ask for confirmation of the sizes.

I spec'd my bag to be a little loose so I can put my power and XLR cables and Dunlop X Mini volume pedals in with the board + FM9, leaving the pocket free for extension cords and power strip, etc. I also had them use the same clips for the shoulder strap so I can use two straps and carry it like a backpack, or a single strap over my shoulder, or attach opposite corners and it'll be like a messenger bag.

NOTE: The bag we're talking about is NOT the FM9 bag that Studio Slips makes. That bag is designed to fit the FM9 that is NOT mounted on a pedalboard.

I also recently had them design bags to fit the EV PXM-12ML monitors I'm using as FRFR monitors. They're really nice, fit like gloves and have a good size pocket for additional XLR and power cords. They also have flaps at either end so it's easy to grab the monitor by its built-in handles, and the flaps velcro shut to keep out dust, dirt, etc.

I have six different bags from Studio Slips now, and had one other that was sold with an amp, and I'm really impressed with the quality and workmanship. I highly recommend them.
tempImageYbeDjI.jpg
tempImageG2ajhs.jpg
tempImageKDrGTd.jpg
tempImagem5pksU.jpg

@studioslips

So how do I plug this into my Orange Crush Pro 120 2-12 combo for a test run?
Get a nice clean tone (not sterile) on the Orange with the EQ flat (controls in the middle position) and plug the FM9 straight into the Input. My experience going into the front of guitar amps has required turning the amp Treble down more than you would think.

Bypass (Turn off) the Cab block in the FM9 presets you try to begin with. You can engage it to see what it does to the tone but using the Cab block in the FM9 with a guitar cabinet/combo doesn't typically sound very good.

If people go for the Studio Slips Temple Audio bag I'd recommend asking them to make the bag a little bit bigger to accommodate the added height from the FM unit mounted on the board. Studio Slips designed the Temple Audio bags to fit those boards with standard height pedals, which the FM9, FM3 and FC are not. I had them create a version of the Temple Audio bag for the Duo 24 + FM9, so they have the dimensions, but odds are good they'll ask for confirmation of the sizes.

I spec'd my bag to be a little loose so I can put my power and XLR cables and Dunlop X Mini volume pedals in with the board + FM9, leaving the pocket free for extension cords and power strip, etc. I also had them use the same clips for the shoulder strap so I can use two straps and carry it like a backpack, or a single strap over my shoulder, or attach opposite corners and it'll be like a messenger bag.

NOTE: The bag we're talking about is NOT the FM9 bag that Studio Slips makes. That bag is designed to fit the FM9 that is NOT mounted on a pedalboard.

I also recently had them design bags to fit the EV PXM-12ML monitors I'm using as FRFR monitors. They're really nice, fit like gloves and have a good size pocket for additional XLR and power cords. They also have flaps at either end so it's easy to grab the monitor by its built-in handles, and the flaps velcro shut to keep out dust, dirt, etc.

I have six different bags from Studio Slips now, and had one other that was sold with an amp, and I'm really impressed with the quality and workmanship. I highly recommend them.
Yes, this /\. The Duo 34 stands slightly taller in the Studio Slips bag with the FM9, and although SS says a tighter fit is better, their specs may be a tad too tight when you try zipping the bag. It's mostly luck of the draw regards this, but sometimes their bags unless you specify otherwise, may be a tad tight. IIRC, I added an extra ½" to ¾" height to insure adequate space for the gig bag.

Studio Slips has a order sheet where you can spec out your design. If you have any questions their customer service is friendly and can work with you to answer any of your questions. IIRC, 'Brent' answered my call and walked me thru the order process.

Studio Slips will not build anything until you have confirmed size dimensions and locked in your order. Once locked in, then SS builds to your specs. SS will not change an order once it has been locked in, though, so due diligence is required prior to ordering. They build from scratch each order, so it takes about 7 to 8 weeks wait time, depending on their backlog.

They not cheap, but I'd personally recommend the double-padding, the duffle shoulder carry, metal D-Rings and double top handle. Extra stuff is optional.

Get a nice clean tone (not sterile) on the Orange with the EQ flat (controls in the middle position) and plug the FM9 straight into the Input. My experience going into the front of guitar amps has required turning the amp Treble down more than you would think.

Bypass (Turn off) the Cab block in the FM9 presets you try to begin with. You can engage it to see what it does to the tone but using the Cab block in the FM9 with a guitar cabinet/combo doesn't typically sound very good.

If necessary, the OP can also try the 4-cable method thru the Orange's Input and FX loop (if there is one), but YMMV.

Yes, this /\. The Duo 34 stands slightly taller in the Studio Slips bag with the FM9, and although SS says a tighter fit is better, their specs may be a tad too tight when you try zipping the bag. It's mostly luck of the draw regards this, but sometimes their bags unless you specify otherwise, may be a tad tight. IIRC, I added an extra ½" to ¾" height to insure adequate space for the gig bag.
Temple Audio's bags will fit their boards with a FM or FC unit, but when zipped with some cables in the pocket it got tight enough I worried about it pulling the zipper apart or making seams start to fail. Plus, their materials aren't as nice as Studio Slips. I used the Duo 24 bag with my board and FM9 while I figured out what I'd really want, then spec'd the bag from Studio Slips.

You might want to check out Pelican Vault series cases if you want a hard case.
Definitely! Pelican makes great cases, designed to protect the gear from the elements and misuse. They're heavy though; The solid protection comes at the cost of weight, so get one with wheels.

I had two, a big one for my strobes, and another, smaller one, for my cameras. I used to stand on my camera's case, and it was in dirt, mud and rain, to get over the fence when shooting rodeos from inside the arena, and yeah, it was scratched up but still works great. Sometimes getting over the fence quickly can be "satisfying" considering the alternative.

The 4 cable method is possible with the FM9, should be the same process as with the FM3. Unless you're using the amp for any of your crunch or higher gain tones, it's really not necessary though.

I have had little success getting tones I like running Fractal amp models in the loop of an amp. If I have to use an amp, I much prefer to go into the front of an amp with a fat clean tone. Studio monitors or an FRFR speaker is usually the preferred method for playing the FM9. You don't have to spend a lot of money to get great sounding monitors, Behringer B2030a or Kali 6.5 or 8 inch monitors are relatively inexpensive.

I personally used the Behringers for over 10 years and really found nothing wrong with the sounds they provided with Fractal gear. For an FRFR, the Headrush series seem to be well liked among those who use modelers but I have no experience with them.

The best add-on for mine is the ExpressionIO under the board that gives me four CC switches and two fader CCs on the board along with the three switches in the pedal/switch jacks around back, and the other one on the other board that gives me 4 pedal CCs....
0313222013a.jpg

Last edited:
The best add-on for mine is the ExpressionIO under the board that gives me four CC switches and two fader CCs on the board along with the three switches in the pedal/switch jacks around back, and the other one under the other board that gives me 4 pedal CCs....
0313222013a.jpg
Yeah... That's a great ad-on, as well as the Mooer Mushroom button toppers.

And the Temple Audio boards.

Back
Top Bottom