Behringer X32Rack or something else?

Yes, transformer isolated splits ensure 1) the source signal sees the appropriate input impedance, 2) prevents damage from the house inadvertently enabling phantom power on your line level inputs (your Fractal, keyboards...) 3) gives you a ground lift for each input, if needed. A passive Y-cable will typically work fine for line-level signals, but mics may have issues.
but those s8's are passive ones, right? they dont have a transformer

X32 Rack all day long....
... As mentioned - playing a gig, then pulling the SD card out of the back to take home and mix the multracks....amazing.
I take zero gear to record the full night, and the files fit in my pocket at the end of the night.
We're in the habit of recording two copies of every gig: the multitracks to SD as well as a FOH mix (from a mixbus) to a thumbdrive inserted in the front USB. The thumbdrive recordings are most convenient for post-gig critique listening, and the multitracks are good for pretty much any use case. SD cards are cheap enough these days we just keep them as forever multitrack archives of each gig (noting we don't play so many gigs to make it costly ;-)

Another happy X32 owner here. A great thing about the aftermarket mixstation ap is being able to have custom layouts so what YOU want is quickly at your fingertips without having to go to other layers. I forgot how spoiled I became using the X32 when I had to break out the painters tape and sharpie at a gig to label channels and lost my person IEM mix while playing with another band.

@iaresee most of these digital mixers have some sort of demo version of their UI on their website (or their control app that you can download and run also in a demo version) to help you get an idea of their capabilities. You can check them out that way

@iaresee most of these digital mixers have some sort of demo version of their UI on their website (or their control app that you can download and run also in a demo version) to help you get an idea of their capabilities. You can check them out that way
That's a great suggestion!

What I do love about the Behringer is the ability to connect a personal mini mixer for each musician: P-16M.
That's awesome and decreases the need for a lot of AUX busses.
I see them a lot in studios.

The costs add up, of course. Especially if you want to expand through a P-16I / P-16D.

YES. This is a game-changer for setting up. It has eliminated the need for the band to even be in attendance for line-checks, and after the virtual soundcheck is completed, the band shows up and we just run a few songs. Brilliant.
I'm probably misunderstanding what you mean, but playing back multi track audio from a card in the mixer doesn't test that the lines going TO the mixer from everyone work, or that everyone's monitoring is working.

It is a great advance though. You could work on the mix at home between gigs even.

What I do love about the Behringer is the ability to connect a personal mini mixer for each musician: P-16M.
That's awesome and decreases the need for a lot of AUX busses.
I see them a lot in studios.

The costs add up, of course. Especially if you want to expand through a P-16I / P-16D.
It is nicely modular though. Each person in the band can make a decision on how they want to invest here (or not). Which is kinda cool.

I'm probably misunderstanding what you mean, but playing back multi track audio from a card in the mixer doesn't test that the lines going TO the mixer from everyone work, or that everyone's monitoring is working.

It is a great advance though. You could work on the mix at home between gigs even.
Well, that's why he said, "band shows up and we just run a few songs" though, right?

But at that point you're not having to mess with FOH mix. Which...this is exactly what I want from this setup.

Avoid Behringer...

We sold our X32 rack to buy a Yamaha TF Rack... no problem since 5 years with Yamaha... was not the case with Behringer.

We've been happy with the X32Rack for about 3 years, and using the 3rd party Mixing Station iPad app for remote mixing, with a cheap WiFi AP (not internet connected) within our rack for connectivity. We're just a duo, but nice to have all those inputs and the on-board processing. The ability to record raw multi-track to an embedded SD card, and also play it back for virtual sound checks, is a killer app from the X32.

Is the recording done in Mixing Station on the iPad or on the X32 itself? We have a full sized X32 at church and this would be a game-changer for us if could figure out how to do it.

Before I go and dump a ton of money in to this, is there anything else in this price range I should be considering? This is bar band live use. Replacing a heavy AF Mackie thing and a bunch of outboard effects we mostly use on vocals.
Just today I got a CQ18T to test in place of a Soundcraft MTK12. Too early to tell, but first impressions...
CQ18T: preamp sound smooth and round, the eq is intuitive and well sounding, fx for ambience seems good, will test compressor & gates. Routing is easy and impressive (24x24).
MTK12: preamp is "wifi-ish", eq is a little bit on the low side, very trasparent. Work very well with drums, don't know why!
Behringher/MIdas: preamp sound a little boxy, for a live the voice sit nicely with "consumer" cabs (big PA seems to reveal boxy nature!). Lots of eq, dynamic processing & ambient. Midas has a little less noise.

For a studio into DAW maybe MTK has better trasparency, for live Behringer has lot of fx and tweakability, CQ18T sit in the middle for core sound and user interface, simple and intuitive.

Avoid Behringer...

We sold our X32 rack to buy a Yamaha TF Rack... no problem since 5 years with Yamaha... was not the case with Behringer.
Please elaborate. What problems did you have with Behringer X32 rack?

re: uisng the rec/playback for sound check - full band sets up, do your line checks, then sound check enough to set head amp gains properly. The signal to the recording interface (the X32-Live card) taps off right after these remote preamps. Now, run down a song and capture that on your PC. Switch to playback mode on the X32, loop that playback as needed while either FOH or the player's monitor mixes get dialed in. When your personal mix is ready, you can leave the stage, no need to stand and play while someone else gets things adjusted to their liking. And, nobody needs to hear the band or playback unless they needed.

Recording is carried over the USB interface (or AES50, but that's a different enchilada). PC control of the mixer is available over wired ENET off our wireless router, as a failsafe against wireless issues. AES50 interfaces are available for remote control via a mix control surface (we just tested this), digital I/O to the venue, etc. I haven't run into reliabilty issues with the X32, even in the brutal desert heat. I always use rack fans, FWIW - on my AXE-3 as well.

The musicians set up their gear and verify that a channel signal is present as expected. Then they go off to dinner or whatever while the sound operator rings out the room, loads the saved mix from the previous show, turns the monitor feeds to the pre-saved mix / level for each, and then run a virtual soundcheck to adjust the room mix to the specific venue. At that point, the band can return and run a song or two, and make any minor adjustments to their mixes as they wish.

Back
Top Bottom