Behringer X32Rack or something else?

I really like the soundcraft ui24. The onboard WiFi can get sketchy when 100+ phones show up after soundcheck. But with an outboard router it is a great sounding and a solid performing mixer. The built in fx are useable, but are their weakest point to me personally.
I think the effects are usable. a little delay and verb are perfect for the live sitting. Anything more and it just gets in the way. I will agree with you on the WiFI total weak link of the units but I like the fact that it doesn't require an app! Still debating if I need the 24ch I don't really need it but it one of those deals where it's beter have and not need it than to need it and not have it.

The X32 stuff is proven gear, and you really can’t go wrong with it. Super-solid for gigging, and you can go to the Compact, or even the X32Rack if you’d like to downsize in channels or footprint.

There are a zillion options out there for mixers, but not many in nearly the scope of use that the X32 has achieved. I use a lot of Presonus gear, which is also solid, but I have to give the X32 ecosystem it’s due… never had a bad experience in hundreds of gigs using it.

True - and the personal monitoring solution (p16-m & p16-d) is gold!
The X32 stuff is proven gear, and you really can’t go wrong with it. Super-solid for gigging, and you can go to the Compact, or even the X32Rack if you’d like to downsize in channels or footprint.

There are a zillion options out there for mixers, but not many in nearly the scope of use that the X32 has achieved. I use a lot of Presonus gear, which is also solid, but I have to give the X32 ecosystem it’s due… never had a bad experience in hundreds of gigs using it.

X32 Rack is solid kit. Coming from the XR18 it was eye opening how powerful it is. Ended up eventually grabbing a second to split off IEMs just because don't always need them and AES provides for a one cable hookup when they are

IMG_7489.jpeg

How's the built-in wi-fi on it? App control okay or janky?
Our rehearsal space isn't very big but the WiFi bas been solid and there is also a dual band router in the same room for internet but we never had any conflict issues. The app is also very fluid and easy to learn. Some of us use the mixing station app but I have a Windows laptop and the stock app is great for me. Also it is very easy to use with a daw and multi track record/playback. The only drawback I have found compared to the Midas/Beringer platform is that you can't expand it via ultra net

Folks thinking about modern Soundcraft stuff should search back a ways here. There's at least one really terrible support story. Overheating I think, and the company completely refused to stand behind their clearly defective product.

Found it:
https://forum.fractalaudio.com/thre...-in-signature-mtk22-mixer.174040/post-2109547
well i use the ui24r and never had a problem with it. doesnt even get hot and we use 19/20 inputs and all the aux outs.
i cant say for their support cause i didnt have a problem with it (yet) but when i asked if overheating would be a problem they said it's covered under warranty. in fact they have a deal with the greek retailer to replace it straight away.
only thing i didnt like was when i asked if i could add a fan (which the unit doesnt have but it has a grill drilled for it in the case) as a precaution just to be covered they said that would void the warranty. that was a little weird. adding a small fan (which the unit inside already has the pins for as well)??? well...

Yea, we've scratched Soundcraft. Down to the Yamaha or the X32R at this point.
A band I sometimes play owns a X32R. Failed 3 times mid gig. PSU issues. Replacing it twice “solved” the issue until it would power on or not based on the phase of the moon.
Never going back down that road again.

I bought a Allen&Heath CQ series. Very happy with it. Sounds very good and the software for both tablets and computers is great.

Folks thinking about modern Soundcraft stuff should search back a ways here. There's at least one really terrible support story. Overheating I think, and the company completely refused to stand behind their clearly defective product.

Found it:
https://forum.fractalaudio.com/thre...-in-signature-mtk22-mixer.174040/post-2109547
Just to be clear that thread is talking about the MTK series mixer and not the Ui. I haven't had any problem with the Ui16 that I have been using now for a few years now. As to heir CS, I haven't had to use it either so can't comment.

It's very hard to argue with the value proposition of the X32, incredible bang for your bucks. I use the X33R with S16 in our IEM/FOH rig. We run 7 IEM mixes plus an 8th "rescue mix" available in wedges in the event someone has issues with their IEMs. With a decent external wireless router and 3rd party mix software (I use Mix Station), iPad control has been reliable and easy. Add a Windows laptop (ours is now built in), you always have a wired ENET control available, and can record 32 tracks to the PC, and your main mix to a USB drive. The EFX are fine, I only run a little cue mix reverb, maybe a nice comp/lim on bass. We can drop analog via XLR snake tails a digital snake to the venue.

One caution though - we had to setup for an outdoor show in 100-plus degree daytime temps with no shade (yeah, we won't be going back there). My iPad shut down due to thernal overload, making setup and checks a serious PITA. I had to cover all our gear with reflective space blankets until showtime at sunset. IMG_2255.jpeg

We've been happy with the X32Rack for about 3 years, and using the 3rd party Mixing Station iPad app for remote mixing, with a cheap WiFi AP (not internet connected) within our rack for connectivity. We're just a duo, but nice to have all those inputs and the on-board processing. The ability to record raw multi-track to an embedded SD card, and also play it back for virtual sound checks, is a killer app from the X32.

It's very hard to argue with the value proposition of the X32, incredible bang for your bucks. I use the X33R with S16 in our IEM/FOH rig. We run 7 IEM mixes plus an 8th "rescue mix" available in wedges in the event someone has issues with their IEMs. With a decent external wireless router and 3rd party mix software (I use Mix Station), iPad control has been reliable and easy. Add a Windows laptop (ours is now built in), you always have a wired ENET control available, and can record 32 tracks to the PC, and your main mix to a USB drive. The EFX are fine, I only run a little cue mix reverb, maybe a nice comp/lim on bass. We can drop analog via XLR snake tails a digital snake to the venue.

One caution though - we had to setup for an outdoor show in 100-plus degree daytime temps with no shade (yeah, we won't be going back there). My iPad shut down due to thernal overload, making setup and checks a serious PITA. I had to cover all our gear with reflective space blankets until showtime at sunset. View attachment 138620
is there any advantage to one of these isolated splitters or does a simple soldered panel with Y cables do the same job?

That’s a really nice feature. The Yamaha can do that but only with a computer connected with USB. Maybe an iPad would also work, I have not tested this.
We've been happy with the X32Rack for about 3 years…. … The ability to record raw multi-track to an embedded SD card, and also play it back for virtual sound checks, is a killer app from the X32.

is there any advantage to one of these isolated splitters or does a simple soldered panel with Y cables do the same job?
Yes, transformer isolated splits ensure 1) the source signal sees the appropriate input impedance, 2) prevents damage from the house inadvertently enabling phantom power on your line level inputs (your Fractal, keyboards...) 3) gives you a ground lift for each input, if needed. A passive Y-cable will typically work fine for line-level signals, but mics may have issues.

X32 Rack all day long.
I have 2 X32 Racks as well as a X32 core with a SD16. Zero issues.
I preordered the X32 rack when it was announced. I am still gigging with that same unit.
It was in a 10 space rack case that was wheeled right off a 2.5' stage, landed face down (with rack lids on), and has still never had a hicup.
X18 is great too, but you'll be surprised how handy some of the bells and whistles are on the X32 rack (vs. X18)....matrix outs, additional Aux sends, multitrack to SD card, are all now 'must haves' for me.
The X32 is the first mixer that has stopped by GAS for another one.

As mentioned - playing a gig, then pulling the SD card out of the back to take home and mix the multracks....amazing.
I take zero gear to record the full night, and the files fit in my pocket at the end of the night.

Back
Top Bottom