Bass Combo Suggestions? (Edit: Found!)

Sean Ashe

Power User
Hey guys I am looking for a reccomendation for a portable bass combo (read: not gonna break my back) and have a line in/fx return for using an FM9 through it. My cover band takes FM9 out to the FOH but for stage sound we all run cabs. We'll be using the FM9 for all of the amp sounds and fx, so the combo is for the power/speaker. We want something that in a room can keep up with a medium power drummer, but it's again mostly for stage sound and room feel.

Thanks so much!

Last edited:
Are you only interested in a bass combo amp or will you consider a powered PA speaker/monitor wedge - which may not exactly radiate like a bona-fide bass combo, but would provide you with a much more flexible speaker system?

Naturally, a bass combo amp would provide a more familiar type of "bassy" stage sound, but there are some 15"-based full-range speakers that do pretty well in the low end.

What is your price range?

Are you only interested in a bass combo amp or will you consider a powered PA speaker/monitor wedge - which may not exactly radiate like a bona-fide bass combo, but would provide you with a much more flexible speaker system?

Naturally, a bass combo amp would provide a more familiar type of "bassy" stage sound, but there are some 15"-based full-range speakers that do pretty well in the low end.

What is your price range?
I'm not looking for full range. We have monitors and we want the addition of live cabs. I figured the easiest way to achieve it would be getting a combo amp with a line in - plus thats a built in backup (preamp) in the case theres any issues with the bass rig.

Price range would probably be up to 2k

2k max for a bass combo is pretty high end. Look at Genzler and Bergantino. GK, MarkBass and Trace Elliot have some decent lightweight combo options well under your budget.

2k max for a bass combo is pretty high end. Look at Genzler and Bergantino. GK, MarkBass and Trace Elliot have some decent lightweight combo options well under your budget.
Yea that's just the max, certainly less would be good but prioritizing the lightness I'm sure will add a couple pennies. Thanks so much for this, headed to a few places today to check them out in person

I picked up one of those Fender Rumble amps for one of my employees who wanted to learn how to play bass, that thing blew my mind. I think I got him the 20 or 25? I can’t remember, but I was not expecting that amp to be as loud and ballsy as it is. I stupidly cranked the volume before turning it on, assuming it was going to be fairly quiet with a 10” speaker and I was very, very, very wrong. I slapped the low B on my bass and my entire apartment started shaking.

Back
Top Bottom