Badger 18 gets really noisy

syvy

I'm recording at the moment and found a really great lead sound using the Badger 18. The only problem is that I get a lot of hum when I put the gain up. And I'm not even using single coils. I tried to find another amp model to get close to that sound but it's very difficult. Is it normal for this amp?
If you have some experience with this model maybe you can give me some advice.

I get a certain amount of hiss when I crank the gain to 10 on the Badger 18, but no more than the Badger 30 model. Doesn't seem unreasonable for max gain. I don't think it's abnormal or unusable. Do you have a drive block in front of the amp?

I love this model - more feedback from users?

And is it "hum" or "hiss" you are confronting?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

+1. Hummmmmmmmmmmm and hissssssssssssssssssssssssssssss are completly different.

Hum = eletrical, shielding etc (NGate does not allways help)
Hiss = gain, mv etc (Noise Gate helps)

But since it is only with one model, it seems that the amp sim itself gives more..... hum?

I find the badgers are terrific for a mildly overdriven tone. I tried high gain with them and never liked it as much. I dont know how a real badger sounds but for higher gain tone I would go for something else. Just my 2 cents

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk

I think more amps are noisy, but Badger seems one of them.

I find the badgers are terrific for a mildly overdriven tone. I tried high gain with them and never liked it as much. I dont know how a real badger sounds but for higher gain tone I would go for something else. Just my 2 cents

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk
Guthry Govan with the early Aristocrats was Badger AFAIK. Sounded great live.
Can't remember if it was him or the support act that had the amp facing sideways on the gig. Like pointing at the wall.

And did you check your global gate settings? That made everything hiss in the gainier presets.
Default is -40 after update. Should be 0.
It worked as a charm for me.

Thanks for the advice! The sound is more hiss than hum, so maybe I need a noisegate. I tried it with and without an overdrive pedal and it doesn't make a difference. Probably the model is better for low and mid gain stuff. I just found it strange because other amp models in the AxeFx have much more gain and are very quiet.

I'd rather deal with hiss than hum. Hiss gets drowned out in the group mix.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom