axefxology

Man, some very special tones among those!

Can I ...? Oh no, I can't. ;-)

Especially interested in the Sample and Hold. What's happening there, controller?

BTW, I stumbled across your "auto wah" settings in another post. Like ' em!

thanks alex!

yeah, the sample and hold - i'm using the sequencer to control volume and pan in a volume block and also a low pass filter. some tempo synced delays fatten it up and there's a bit of vibrato early on in the chain.

the sound called Jarresque is actually the same patch, except i've bypassed the volume block and the filter and added in the octave fuzz

sim

Unbelivable !

Sample and Hold is my favorite too, if you told me it was done with a Roland GR-33 instead of an AxeFx I would had eaten that.

OT: Are you the same Simeon Harris that were in the Allan Holdsworth forum some years ago ?

charles5150 said:
Unbelivable !

Sample and Hold is my favorite too, if you told me it was done with a Roland GR-33 instead of an AxeFx I would had eaten that.

OT: Are you the same Simeon Harris that were in the Allan Holdsworth forum some years ago ?

thanks bro!

yeah....that's me...!

posting on the new forum now - http://www.holdsy.com/index.php - some of the old crew are over there too. what was your handle on the old forum?

sim

simply awesome stuff.if you did this with a few weeks of having the ax fx its scary to think what you come up with down the road.any additional information you could give on these presets would be most appreciated.

Thank you, I didn't know there were a new AH forum. Same nick there, Charles5150.

Back to topic: In "Slicer" it appears you use a volume driven by a sequencer, isn't it ?

sidler72 said:
simply awesome stuff.if you did this with a few weeks of having the ax fx its scary to think what you come up with down the road.any additional information you could give on these presets would be most appreciated.

any specific one you're interested in?

charles5150 said:
Thank you, I didn't know there were a new AH forum. Same nick there, Charles5150.

Back to topic: In "Slicer" it appears you use a volume driven by a sequencer, isn't it ?

ahh yes, now i remember! saw the great man live recently....he's still on top form!

slicer - yes...volume tied to sequencer again. my mind is just starting to wrap around the possibilities of the sequencer...so i started with the obvious and attached it to volume...many other possibilities, i fear...!

ambiclouds,shimmerpan and synthy arp. im actually intrigued by all but i think these three ar4e my faves from the list.

ambiclouds was an attempt to recreate one of my favourite eclipse patches (of the same name). i forgot to write down any settings, so i had to build it from scratch. the eclipse manual says it's four serial two-second diffusors feeding a 36 tap, two-second multitap delay and a tempo-controlled two-second feedback delay running into a reverse 4-plex delay. re-reading that description, i see i'm short of a delay in my patch, which is why mine doesn't last as long as the original....i'll have to add it in. anyway, everything is in series with very high mix levels, but the mix levels are tweaked to allow some of the dry signal to pass on to later blocks. the axe version still has that slight "vocal" quality that the eclipse version has, which i like very much. 1000 tibetan monks all chanting in a massive temple. nice.

shimmerpan, is basically just shimmer feeding reverb on 100% wet, going into a panner controlled by envelope. there's a filter somewhere in the chain to kill the high frequencies

synthy arp was easy. two pitch shifters in parallel - one set to octave up and down and the other set to arpeggiator. a bit of phaser gives it a nice sweep and there are some tempo synced delays and some reverb.

hope that helps

sim

thanks mate!

i'll be creating a lot more soon, so i'll add them to the original post.

had my first looping gig with the axe and my laptop on sunday and it sounded terrific!

here's a little pic of me making some noise in a gallery,,,

sim_gallery_1.jpg

Phenomenal work, just great sounds and textures.

These sorts of things have always been so far out of my realm and over my head, I've never monkey'd with trying to get them outside of using dedicated boxes or DAW's to do that sort of thing.

Can you do a basic tutorial on the sample-and-hold patch that explains the preset building blocks in greater detail?

Thanks.

thanks scott

ok, so here's the layout...

SH.jpg

the blocks...

drive = octave dist (bypassed)
compressor (set to taste)
amp = USA clean, but could be any clean amp
cab = 2x12 brit, but again, could be anything
vol/pan - volume swell pedal
pitch = ad whammy, set to create vibrato
multidelay = plex detune default setting, i think
chorus = default setting again, i think
filter = bandpass (see below)
vol/pan = panner (see below)
delay in sidechain = dual
reverb = md chamber

so the filter frequency and the second vol/pan panner are both tied to the sequencer, which i think is on the default setting, 1/8 tempo and 16 stages

i started with a basic compressor, clean amp, cab and volume pedal (which is my little template) and added the filter. tied that to the sequencer...tweaked it until i liked the start and stop settings etc etc. then added the second volume block and tied the pan to the sequencer as well. tweak. then add delays...tweak...add vibrato....tweak...add chorus...tweak....

it's just about knowing what you want to achieve and going down the path to get there. 25 years of fooling with fx has given me certain experience and understanding, i guess. this patch was kinda based around an ensemble i use in Reaktor for treating loops. i analysed it and nabbed the cool delay times it used to try to get close to it's "vibe".

i really like the filters in the axe, btw...very flexible and they sound great!

it's not a true sample and hold, because the sequencer isn't random, but it still sounds pretty nice to me.

i can bypass the filter and the panner and turn on the octave dist for some variation - listen to the jarreque patch to hear what that sounds like.

ok, so i'm being a bit cagey about settings, but that's deliberate. you'll learn more from messing about trying to recreate this than you will if i just give it to you it on a plate and you may well come up with something that sounds better. it will certainly be more personal. i think the best way to learn is from experience.

hope that helps

sim

Those sound great. Thanks for the S&H description. If you want a random sequence, the random LFO type does exactly that.

Bakerman said:
Those sound great. Thanks for the S&H description. If you want a random sequence, the random LFO type does exactly that.

Excellent tip, I didn't even realise there was random LFO type. Thanks!!

Back
Top Bottom