Axe tone controls vs real amps tone controls question

trancegodz

Fractal Fanatic
The Axe has the same tone controls available for every amp, but their real counterparts often do not have some of them.
Not all of the real amps have master volume, not all of them have midrange controls, and many Fender amps have vibrato or tremelo settings.

There are old guitar player articles showing the exact settings people like Eric Johnson, Stevie Ray Vaughan, and Buddy Guy used on their amps.
If you set the Axe tone controls exactly as their amps should it sound the same, assuming you are using the same type of guitar and effects they used.

If you are trying to match a Fender amp like a Vibroverb that has no midrange control on the real amp, what should you set the midrange knob on the Axe to to match it's real counterpart?

The Axe has the same tone controls available for every amp, but their real counterparts often do not have some of them.
Not all of the real amps have master volume, not all of them have midrange controls, and many Fender amps have vibrato or tremelo settings.

There are old guitar player articles showing the exact settings people like Eric Johnson, Stevie Ray Vaughan, and Buddy Guy used on their amps.
If you set the Axe tone controls exactly as their amps should it sound the same, assuming you are using the same type of guitar and effects they used.

If you are trying to match a Fender amp like a Vibroverb that has no midrange control on the real amp, what should you set the midrange knob on the Axe to to match it's real counterpart?

Leave I were it is. The manual has this info. Just leave it at 5.

No. It will not sound the same. Often not even close and that is the liberation with it all. You are not bound by anothers gear. Your tone is yours and there is no way around it. Without getting metaphorical or metaphysical about it, it is also simple physics. No two amps sound alike, no rooms, mic, signal chain, recording etc etc. This is more true outside of the modeling environment. The best option is the slow one but sure and permanent one; develop your ears and work at dialing in the tones you love and that inspire you...through your own rig. Cheers and best of luck!

If the amp has no Master Volume, set the MV to 10 (the model will default to 10 when you select it). If the amp has no midrange control, set the MID to 5.00. If the amp only has a "Tone" control, set Bass and Mid to noon and the Treble control is your tone control.

If I remember correctly some of the older Fenders like the Vibroverb and the Vibrolux the treble control was flat when set at 5. Is this the same in the Axe? I haven't been able to find an answer to this in the manual. Thanks.

If the amp has no Master Volume, set the MV to 10 (the model will default to 10 when you select it). If the amp has no midrange control, set the MID to 5.00. If the amp only has a "Tone" control, set Bass and Mid to noon and the Treble control is your tone control.

Thanks! That helps a lot.

What if the real amp has no presence control?

ok, and for complementation: What is the "right trick" to simulate the jumper cable for i.e the Plexi Stuff? I read so much "solutions" but none of them will really work for me. With one Amp lowering the bright cap and trim the Input gain down or up? Or something like that?

Back
Top Bottom