Axe PC

FractalAudio said:
It's too early to say on a lot of these questions. Pricing? TDB. Anti-piracy measures are still being weighed. Minimum computer requirements still TBD. Furthermore it's not going to be ready for purchase for at least a couple months. We need to do the beta testing, go into full production with the interface, write the manual, design the packaging, plan the rollout, etc., etc.

It will be cool though. I recommend everyone get both: Axe-Fx for gigging, Axe-PC for home recording. :mrgreen:

Will the presets be transferable from the PC to the Ultra?

the complete opposite approach of big publishers like EA, who have created an enormous community backlash by limiting installs of their software and the like.

this is exactly why i didn't buy SPORE. I had major interest and waited all that time for it and the maximum 3 install killed it for me. I wont support that. EA is a horrible company.

javajunkie said:
That's why I'm hopeing and asked if the 'schweeeeet' Gui will be available for us hardware users as well... Would still like to know, please :)

FractalAudio said:
It will be cool though. I recommend everyone get both: Axe-Fx for gigging, Axe-PC for home recording. :mrgreen:
And that's a completely unbiased opinion, right? ;-) :lol:

I'm pretty psyched to check it out. I have to say, it would be great if there were some way to not require the extra hardware, particularly for us Axe-Fx standard and ultra owners. I'd probably just use my Ultra for tracking and then the plug-in for ease of re-amping later.

+1 on making the GUI work with Axe-Fx hardware as well.

If you don't think this is a huge problem, talk to any vendor of CAD software.

you do realize that if it wasn't for the unregulated/promoted piracy by Autodesk in the infancy of AutoCad, Autodesk wouldn't be what it is today. now they want to charge 500 bux every year for the latest Autocad which is basically just new graphics for their base icons. Im glad they finally decided to do some work and develop/enhance and push Civil3D.

Looking forward to the demo! (and the "schweeeeet" interface!)

I'd rant about piracy, but I already bailed on three different multi-paragraph replies I started.

godprobe said:
I'd rant about piracy, but I already bailed on three different multi-paragraph replies I started.

To all of you guys ranting against anti-piracy measures, do me a favor, after you've written, and recorded all your music, give it all to me for free, and then let me claim it as my own, so I can sell it. I'd love to make a buck on someone else's time, and money. :cool:

That's all I'm sayin'.

I'm kidding of course, as I'm all for Cliff, or anyone taking whatever measures they feel appropriate to protect their hard work from thieves. Even if it doesn't stop the thieves, it'll at least slow them down.

Guitar-Tiz said:
godprobe said:

To all of you guys ranting against anti-piracy measures, do me a favor, after you've written, and recorded all your music, give it all to me for free, and then let me claim it as my own, so I can sell it. I'd love to make a buck on someone else's time, and money. :cool:

That's all I'm sayin'.

I'm kidding of course, as I'm all for Cliff, or anyone taking whatever measures they feel appropriate to protect their hard work from thieves. Even if it doesn't stop the thieves, it'll at least slow them down.
You know I don't care how something is protected, hardware device, dongle, call and response...it'll like get cracked...but that is not my issue. I won't use pirated stuff, just as I pay for my music I listen to.
But I tell you this much...after the October issue interview I had in GP, my income from CD sales was a stunning 200 bucks, and I can confirm 12000 in losses due to illegal downloads. Any one trying to make money with music best have some good gig and merchandising money coming, since unlike the olden days where touring was a promotional expense to sell albums, no albums are a promotional expense to sell your brand.
rant over...sorry for the derail.

Ed DeGenaro said:
[quote="Guitar-Tiz":1snwgkim]
godprobe said:

That's all I'm sayin'.

You know I don't care how something is protected, hardware device, dongle, call and response...it'll like get cracked...but that is not my issue. I won't use pirated stuff, just as I pay for my music I listen to.[/quote:1snwgkim]

I myself do not use, nor do I condone pirating of any sort.

All of the music on my Computer is either my own original material, given to me by the original artist with permission, or I own the original CD.

Same with my software.

If I didn't pay for any intellectual property that's in my possession, then it's because the originator of the product (designer, or legal owner of the rights,) gave it to me.

If the AxePC price for existing hardware owners is reasonable I'd consider it. What would be nice is to have this sweet GUI as a realtime editor and visual output monitor for the hardware: so the guitar is connected to my Ultra which is connected to my Mac; and I can use the software to edit, load and store presets in the Ultra via the software which updates my Ultra settings in realtime.

The wish list - I'd like an output visualization mode in the software, where I can see what is happening (not just hear it) in 2D / 3D visual form like waves or graphs at any/all points in the signal chain as I play (probably need a slow motion replay to see how the signal changes over time) - attack/decay, frequency mappings for EQ adjustments, and dialing in other effects, etc. :)

Peace.

rsm said:
If the AxePC price for existing hardware owners is reasonable I'd consider it. What would be nice is to have this sweet GUI as a realtime editor and visual output monitor for the hardware: so the guitar is connected to my Ultra which is connected to my Mac; and I can use the software to edit, load and store presets in the Ultra via the software which updates my Ultra settings in realtime.

Peace.

Since I never have gotten the editor to work on my Mac I would buy it just for that!

javajunkie said:
FractalAudio said:
I recommend everyone get both: Axe-Fx for gigging, Axe-PC for home recording. :mrgreen:

That would be THE feature that would convince me to buy Axe-PC in addition to my Ultra.
If I could use Axe-PC to play, record at home and create presets that sound identical on my Ultra live and in the studio that would be worth the $ to me.

S.R.

yeah, for an almost new user such as myself it would be really sweet to have the Axe PC GUI tie into the Standard or ultra, as well as work standalone, that way you areally are combining the products seemlessly and you don't feel like its one or the other, you still buy both to get all the functionality.

uh oh, i don't gig and Cliff said get this for recording..........

nah, i will still get the standard!

trock said:
SH**

- what the hell would any of you do if you were in my shoes?? I only want this for my home studio, no gigging, just to record with.

aaaarrrgggghhhh

Wait and see what the Axe PC is like. Can you live for a few months with mounting excitation? If you only plan to use it for recording the PC version is ideal - all other things being equal.

Since all this piracy discussion dropped most of my post back on page 3, I'm still hoping to hear answers to these questions:

1) Will there be Vista support, specifically Vista 64-bit support? Because if you're forced to use the audio interface then not having Vista 64-bit support will mean I simply won't buy it. XP isn't coming near any of my computers ever again.

2) Will the audio interface as well as the standalone software also work in OS X? Because I'd love to be able to haul just a Macbook Pro and the Axe-Fx software as a gig rig.

4) How will the audio interface perform as an output device? Meaning what kind of sound quality (compared to well-respected audio interfaces) will we get out of it for stuff like simply playing back music? Because I use my audio interface even for things like movies and games because it's convenient and the sound quality is top notch.

I honestly don't knwo if i can, i have a bunch of stuff to record, the axe fx FINALLY gives me that direct sound i really want vs the new POD or anything else, and i can finally get my songs where i want them to be

sooooooo

once Cliff really gives us a timeline, price and we can make sure the sounds and tweakability is as good or better i would knwo more of what to do

oh hell, if this was gearslutz i would buy them both

i have about a 2 week window til i pull the trigger so maybe we will kwo more by then :)

its still exciting stuff!

Guitar-Tiz said:
godprobe said:

In short:
-anti-piracy done "right" will not discourage me from buying something
-anti-piracy done "wrong" will discourage me from buying something
That's the gist of the prior replies I started and got too long-winded on.

Most of my artwork (anything I've done that wasn't for work), I do give away for free. However, claiming it as your own is rather rude. I like the Creative Commons licensing options, which, depending on the options you choose for the license, may allow derivative works.

Cliff, do you plan on having the interface use midi so that a footcontroller can be used - as in backup for live use, etc?

trock said:
i have about a 2 week window til i pull the trigger so maybe we will kwo more by then :)
Trock, don't forget that Cliff said, "it's not going to be ready for purchase for at least a couple months"... the operative words being "at least". In "Fractal Time" that means at least 4-6 months. Which is ok by me because I'd rather have it ready, when it's ready. I don't want it crashing my PC/DAW during my midnight recording sessions. Take your time Cliff, as you said, and we all agree... it certainly does "kill everything out there".

If you only have a "2 week window" just buy the Ultra (if you have the funds) and if not buy the Standard and do your recordings by "re-amping" them. It's a pain, but at least you can record "now" with the same quality as the Axe-PC.

Back
Top Bottom