Axe PC

javajunkie said:
mortega76 said:
You could always play using some other vst or via a DI box and then apply the Axe-PC effect after the fact bypassing latency all together. Sonar has a "freeze" option that is quite handy to be able to apply/un-apply any effect very quickly... this will create a processed wave file and a bypass effects bin (freeing up cpu cycles).

I have an i7 920, and I've ran roughly 100 vst's and about 20 24-bit tracks with only about 20% of total processor (8 cores... 4 physical, 4 hyperthreaded)... it smokes!

I've had good luck w/ the i7 as well.
You forgot to mention your big ass LCD you got from Dell for (almost) free!!! :D

mortega76 said:
javajunkie said:
mortega76 said:
You could always play using some other vst or via a DI box and then apply the Axe-PC effect after the fact bypassing latency all together. Sonar has a "freeze" option that is quite handy to be able to apply/un-apply any effect very quickly... this will create a processed wave file and a bypass effects bin (freeing up cpu cycles).

I have an i7 920, and I've ran roughly 100 vst's and about 20 24-bit tracks with only about 20% of total processor (8 cores... 4 physical, 4 hyperthreaded)... it smokes!

You forgot to mention your big ass LCD you got from Dell for (almost) free!!! :D

Actually, I moved that upstairs and am using 2 22" Acer monitors that were on sale for $125 a piece. :p

mortega76 said:

Of course freeze is common in many daws today but it seems that it would not be so necessary with Axe-pc, according with what has been said it probably would take around a 30% from a core with a modern multicore cpu, maybe less.

Anyway and specially with i7 processors the latency has become a much less problematic thing I have seen some charts where it performs very efficiently at ultra low latencies (of course with a good audio card and driver).

I hope Axe PC has all the ultra functionality - that'll be a big incentive for a standard user like me to buy it. For live use, my standard will always be plenty for me, but I am curious about a few ultra stuff for recording use.
So we need a core 7 thing to run it properly hey..., cool about time I upgraded anyway.

When the interface acts as a dongle too does that mean that I have to carry a dongle with a wall wart along with my notebook when I want to work on my songs on the road?

hideous said:
I hope Axe PC has all the ultra functionality - that'll be a big incentive for a standard user like me to buy it. For live use, my standard will always be plenty for me, but I am curious about a few ultra stuff for recording use.
So we need a core 7 thing to run it properly hey..., cool about time I upgraded anyway.

I hope also that the axe-pc would have all the Ultra things.

It seems that you dont need an i7, unless you want to run many instances of it. An i7 is many times more powerful than a P4 2,4 ghz. Of course if you already have one you sure are safe. :)

javajunkie said:
mortega76 said:
javajunkie said:

Actually, I moved that upstairs and am using 2 22" Acer monitors that were on sale for $125 a piece. :p
Damn Java!!!!!!

I got two 24" at work and it's just freakin' awesome... at home I run two 17" and one 22"... I would really love to see what two 30" would look like! :shock:

Is the Axe-PC interface acting as an external sound card so that you could plug this into any laptop (USB) and get good latency? And does this mean that FractalAudio have created ASIO drivers that you can install to run the interface with low latency? I am very interested in how this will performe compared to other high quality audio interfaces from producers like echo, m-audio, etc.

Where do we sign up for beta testing and do you want my credit card number now or later :D

Per Cushion said:
When the interface acts as a dongle too does that mean that I have to carry a dongle with a wall wart along with my notebook when I want to work on my songs on the road?
So it instead uses +9 VAC
I am sure there will be something available to help get something to power it from the cig lighter port or a battery conversing thingy mabob.

Hello everyone,

I've been lurking on this forum for quite a while and have followed the Axe FX for ages, ever since it was 1st mentioned on the L6 boards. The clips are stunning and it really does seem to be every guitar player's dream. Great work, Cliff. I do not own an Axe FX, but I am very interested in Axe PC. I'm a bedroom player, all I do is record and jam with headphones. This thread has been going for more than 5 months now and the details have been very scant.

Cliff; how much, roughly, should this thing cost? And when is it going to be available, roughly? Will the interface be essential or could I use my Line 6 UX-1 and get the same tones? I'm itching to try this out.

crispsandwich said:
Cliff; how much, roughly, should this thing cost? And when is it going to be available, roughly? Will the interface be essential or could I use my Line 6 UX-1 and get the same tones? I'm itching to try this out.

Interface will act as piracy-protection. Therefore it will be essential. Also, it will most probably have far better converters etc. than the UX-1. Therefore you'll want to use it anyway =)

Interface will act as piracy-protection. Therefore it will be essential. Also, it will most probably have far better converters etc. than the UX-1. Therefore you'll want to use it anyway =)

I agree with you about the UX-1. But its another history with the people who already have a good audio card, with good drivers (which is an art in itself).

There are some usb key protection devices which have been unbroken for years, so there are very valid anti-piracy alternatives that would fit much better with those people already equipped, studios, etc. I wish that would be an option with this software (has line6 have done recently).

jassy said:
I agree with you about the UX-1. But its another history with the people who already have a good audio card, with good drivers (which is an art in itself).

There are some usb key protection devices which have been unbroken for years, so there are very valid anti-piracy alternatives that would fit much better with those people already equipped, studios, etc. I wish that would be an option with this software (has line6 have done recently).

Has the Line6 software you're mentioning been hacked?

I think this has been discussed thoroughly earlier in this thread. I would really like NO copy protection, because those things are usually inconveniences, but I understand that software developers must protect their software and I am willing to go through an inconvenience so that Cliff can afford to buy food and keep his home.

No flaming, just take a look at the earlier posts in this thread. I think every conceivable argument pro and con has been made.

BTW I am assuming the Fractal breakout box will be very cooperative with other soundcards and systems. I can't imagine Cliff assuming everyone will ditch their recording system for the new Fractal one.

danielodland said:

I think this has been discussed thoroughly earlier in this thread. I would really like NO copy protection, because those things are usually inconveniences, but I understand that software developers must protect their software and I am willing to go through an inconvenience so that Cliff can afford to buy food and keep his home.

No flaming, just take a look at the earlier posts in this thread. I think every conceivable argument pro and con has been made.

No flaming also from me, but have you really read my post? Im saying that axe-pc dont need protection or that I want it to not be protected?

No, at all. In fact its just the opposite I dont want it to be cracked.

What Im saying is that there are other very valid and secure options than a usb soundcard (Ilook, Sincrosot...) that have not been craked in years and that for the people who have a good souncard already it would be a much better solution.

I mentioned Line6 because they have recently adopted the Ilook key to protect their software so you dont need the hardware sound cards ro run it.

So I have the sensation that you have misunderstood totally my post. Yeah, Im very bad with the english and I dont write correctly, maybe its the problem.

jassy said:
danielodland said:

No flaming also from me, but have you really read my post? Im saying that axe-pc dont need protection or that I want it to not be protected?

No, at all. In fact its just the opposite I dont want it to be cracked.

What Im saying is that there are other very valid and secure options than a usb soundcard (Ilook, Sincrosot...) that have not been craked in years and that for the people who have a good souncard already it would be a much better solution.

I mentioned Line6 because they have recently adopted the Ilook key to protect their software so you dont need the hardware sound cards ro run it.

So I have the sensation that you have misunderstood totally my post. Yeah, Im very bad with the english and I dont write correctly, maybe its the problem.

Hehe, seems like a communication breakdown here.

jassy said:

No no, I'm not saying that was your statement=) I'm just saying Ideally it would be nice with as little protection as possible, but as far as I know, H2O and probably others have cracked iLOK products. We need the software to be well protected, and since there are so many geniuses out there cracking everything that comes out, software companies must take a bit extreme precautions, like a box hooked to your PC. It's an inconvenience, but how many softwares have NOT been cracked?

FractalAudio said:
G.9 said:
Is the box USB bus-powered?

No. USB can only supply +5V. So I would've had to use switchers to create the voltages necessary for the Axe-Fx front end electronics. Switchers are noisy. So it instead uses +9 VAC.

:eek: :shock:

How can I work with AxePc with my notebook - without line power ?
E.g. I like to do some mixing/programming during long boring train trips with headphones.

Do I need the USB box only to record or also to reamp/programming the AxePc ?

It would be very inconvenient to need the USB box all the time.

Back
Top Bottom