Axe -> M-box -> MacBook Pro -> Logic = disaster!!!! HELP

Stenimir

So i was at my friend who had a Mac book pro running logic and we tried to hook up the Axe fx through the Mbox Usb.
The sound was there, had a little latency issues but resolved it in the end. But the sound was really really awful, it was like plugging in a Metal zone direct to your sound card, had no dimension or warmth to it what so ever.
When i hook it up at home to my laptop via 1/4 cable to usb it works fine and the sound is great and when i play it through my amp it sounds awesome. Same presets, same everything but on the Mac rig it did not sound good!! Cabs were on, that's the first thing i thought it might have been.
We tried eq-ing it but the fizzines was always there and it is so annoying!

any of you have any solution to this problem?

Thanks!

Tin

Stenimir said:
So i was at my friend who had a Mac book pro running logic and we tried to hook up the Axe fx through the Mbox Usb.
The sound was there, had a little latency issues but resolved it in the end. But the sound was really really awful, it was like plugging in a Metal zone direct to your sound card, had no dimension or warmth to it what so ever.
When i hook it up at home to my laptop via 1/4 cable to usb it works fine and the sound is great and when i play it through my amp it sounds awesome. Same presets, same everything but on the Mac rig it did not sound good!! Cabs were on, that's the first thing i thought it might have been.
We tried eq-ing it but the fizzines was always there and it is so annoying!

any of you have any solution to this problem?

Thanks!

Tin

I had a friend who had a older mbox 2. It clipped like crazy even w/ a guitar signal. We banged our heads for a while then googled it. A firmware update on the mbox2 solved our issue.

Just for grins, you might try padding the input of the MBOX. You could check this by using a passive direct box (with optional -15dB pad) between the Axe-FX and the MBOX.

ok will try with the new firmware...but the status bars in logic where showing no signs of clipping! But guess it's some kind clipping inside the mbox!

Stenimir said:
ok will try with the new firmware...but the status bars in logic where showing no signs of clipping! But guess it's some kind clipping inside the mbox!

right, that is what was happening to us (but we were using protools). It was quite annoying.

do you have any suggestions how should i connect the axe fx to mbox?
Should i use XLR cables, balanced outputs or what?
i'm pretty new to this and don't have all the hardware to experiment.
Next week i'll be going to my friend again and will try to update the firmware and are there any more things i should know about?

I'm thinking also of buying the mbox2 usb with PT8 LE, so would like to know everything before i go for this cash spending spree :)

Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom