Axe-II, who's using what for a DAW interface?

I use a Presonus Firestudio Project via firewire to my PC. Sonar X2 is my DAW. I also run at 48k and am able to set the buffers at 128 and run almost everything without latency.

Too high of CPU will cause Latency.

I don't run synths which will eat the CPU real fast. Once I get to final mixing and start adding final plugins/reverbs I bump the buffer to 512k. Key thing is track everything with the smallest amount of plugins. Turn them on for reference if you need a quick listen midtracking but overall keep them minimal until your done tracking. Keep your PC dedicated if you can, no antivirus, go through the pc task processes and figure out what you can kill and then disable it at the source. Run it lean and keep your PC tuned. If you find yourself going back to tracking after mixing, turn all those plugs back off.

I also found splitting multiple harddrives helps, DAW and projects one one, recordings to another. If you must run synth or plugins with samples, put those on a third drive. Also double your PC memory from what you use.

Also if you use Superior Drummer or any other similar, keep the effects within the plugin to a minimal on that as well since it contributes to eating CPU which causes latency.

These are just some things I've learned in the last couple years which might help.
Thanks kindly - very aware of keeping everything trim and slim. The MBP is not an issue with CPU usage so much as it seems to be the USB throughput just ain't diggin'. And yes, this is all systemic of too heavy a toll on the Mac's resources. But I'm seeking to firewire everything together and move forward from there. I will more than likely be investing (poor choice of words when it comes to tech-gear, but alas...) in a top-line Mac desktop. Already have the FW high-speed multi-terabyte auxiliary HD, and can always use a bigger monitor - or two - for my workflow. But till that time, I need to make the most of my MBP, and thus far, it's been a good unit.

Thanks kindly - very aware of keeping everything trim and slim. The MBP is not an issue with CPU usage so much as it seems to be the USB throughput just ain't diggin'. And yes, this is all systemic of too heavy a toll on the Mac's resources. But I'm seeking to firewire everything together and move forward from there. I will more than likely be investing (poor choice of words when it comes to tech-gear, but alas...) in a top-line Mac desktop. Already have the FW high-speed multi-terabyte auxiliary HD, and can always use a bigger monitor - or two - for my workflow. But till that time, I need to make the most of my MBP, and thus far, it's been a good unit.

It was explained to me that firewire is like having an 8 lane highway vs USB having a 4 lane highway. Both go just as fast, just the firewire handles more traffic. So if you're recording a whole band at the same time, go firewire. If its only you one instrument at a time, then firewire may not change anything. For example, I read extensive reviews on the Roland Quad Capture USB 2.0 and learned that it is capable of out performing in lower latency than most midrange firewire interfaces including the Prosonus. If I was to buy a replacement for what I have now, I would consider the Roland. However thats just me and I'm certainly not an expert.

So on that basis, it may likely be your setup or perhaps you need more horsepower in your MAC or PC.

After using 003/003+ for years I sold everything I own for a Focusrite Liquid Saffrire 56 and Octopre MkII

it's great

It was explained to me that firewire is like having an 8 lane highway vs USB having a 4 lane highway. Both go just as fast, just the firewire handles more traffic.
Nice analogy, thank you.

Presonus Studio Live 16.0.2 (FireWire with TI-Chipset ) solid as a Rock...
Forgot to mention, don't want to mortgage my first born for this potential upgrade ;)

After using 003/003+ for years I sold everything I own for a Focusrite Liquid Saffrire 56 and Octopre MkII

it's great
I've heard many good things about this unit. Great pres, solid, decent drivers - but there was something that everyone said "was the main issue" and I can't remember what the heck it was now. I'll have to check. But ya, I'm not using ProTools, and I don't care if it's not a stand-alone device. I need an interface I can jam full of goodness and run my DAW. Simple. And I can't stand latency!!

Thanks for the awesome intel thus far!
Mo

I've been running the AXE via USB straight into Reaper on a MacBook pro, which seems to work fine. I haven't tried adding plug-ins of any kind though which I believe is where some people have had trouble???

The only interface I have is a Cakewalk V-studio 100 - still my entry level setup, need to upgrade!!!

I'm having constant problems with the latency in logic! i'm running usb directly into logic. It often drops out and having a massive latency!

I really don't know anything about how to configure the buffer size sample rate in logic.

and by the way, after 11.01 axe edit seems to work slower than before ? I need to wait for it to communicate. I really believe that the usb function should work better. (do something :D)

Last edited:
Focusrite Saffire Pro 24 DSP. Presonus Studio One.
I have audio outs/ins + spdif connected between Saffire and the Axe, so a lot of possibilities for routing the signal including reamping.
No latency that's noticeable. Remember that even when standing a few meters away from a real amp will give you several milliseconds of latency, so trying to get latency down to something like 1 ms is both near impossible and unnecessary. I think I'm around 5 ms...

I'm having constant problems with the latency in logic! i'm running usb directly into logic. It often drops out and having a massive latency!
I really don't know anything about how to configure the buffer size sample rate in logic.

I suspect you are running your USB into your laptop/workstation, and then running the output of the AFX driver into Logic.
Sounds like you need to drop Logic and use GarageBand. Latency issues are typically at the workstation/laptop end of the chain. Get rid of the slow disk drive. Free up as memory as possible. Use "Menu Meters" to review your system and ensure you have lots of available resources for receiving and playing audio in real time. The AFX is sending data in as fast as you play, if your system cannot keep up, then you have a system/app problem. If you want the AFX to send in data slower, you can't. Logic is a full featured Professional DAW. This app requires Pro Equipment. If you have a typical laptop or workstation, use Garageband. It's needs are much less and records with just as much definition. You will not sound "better" with Logic.
First step is to determine what is causing the latency. It's typically because your machine needs to do something else and needs resources to do it. I.E. Write data to disk, swapping memory around, etc. Close all other apps besides your DAW.

Remember that even when standing a few meters away from a real amp will give you several milliseconds of latency, so trying to get latency down to something like 1 ms is both near impossible and unnecessary. I think I'm around 5 ms...
That's why when I record I always ensure I only use a 1 foot guitar cable with the speakers connected to my "real amp" with 6" Super Deluxe Monster Dragon Cables. I also ensure the power cord is as short as possible to cut down on power latency also. Now I don't have to worry about latency any more.. Although.. If I move down close to our local Nuke Plant, it would cut down on the length of the power lines.. Hmmm...

Okay i tried garage band last night, but there wwere some issues and the axe wouldn't pop up as a sound card.

So what you say is, my 500 gb hard disk should be cleaned? There is like 194 gigs left :)

I use a Metric Halo ULN-8.

Mostly AES out from the Axe to the ULN-8, Firewire from ULN-8 to MBP with Logic.
Sometimes I go analog into the ULN-8, when I need to work in another format than 48K.
No latency whatsoever with the ULN-8.
The Metric Halo's preamps and converters are extremely hi-end and the MIO console and MIO efx's (Character, Channel strip, Halo verb and others) are really great.
Metric Halo have rock solid drivers, frequent free software updates and keeps their interfaces hardware upgradeable to future technologies, something I've never seem other companies do and something that prolong their interfaces lifespan on the leading edge.
BJ Buchalter of Metric Halo is to interfaces what Cliff is to modelers IMO.
In fact Metric Halo has a giant summer sale extravaganza going on so there has never been a better time to get a MH interface.
If you don't need many preamps go with the ULN-2 (+DSP if you want the MH effects too), if you have cash to burn I can't recommend the ULN-8 highly enough.

Welcome to Metric Halo

Ohhh - and you better strap a couple of midgets to a treadmill to keep the electricity bill down, as you are going to love this and will spend a lot more time with your Axe and MH interface.

Stereo XLRs to Apogee Symphony and use Ableton to record (sometimes Pro logic due to the virtual drummer).

With the Symphony I crazily have 8 studio monitors going out plus two 4*12 Mesa cabs out of my mesa simul class via the axe fx!

I love it!

Last edited:
A pretty ancient Metric Halo ULN-2. Fantastic piece of audio gear. Wouldn't hestitate to recommend MH to anyone.

I run the ULN-2 at 48k so I can use the digital outs from the Axe, this means I can leave it plugged in permanently rather than having to fart around resetting levels once I've been recording other stuff with mics or analog DIs. It works great 99% of the time.

As far as MH goes, yes the ULN-8 is very expensive (but very awesome). Also check out the 2882, if you favour more inputs over super-quiet pres then this could be the way to go (you can always add a higher quality pre later). At some point I might get a 2882 to add to my setup as I am finding the limited i/o of the ULN-2 a little restricting, however I have a new guitar on the way first from Ron Kirn :encouragement:

Back
Top Bottom