Axe-II, who's using what for a DAW interface?

ventura

Experienced
I asked this before and it got relegated to the Rigs and Routing section. It's dead.

I'd like to know - what are users of the AF2 using for their DAW interfaces to mitigate latency to the least possible variable?

USB DI with the AF2 has been okay in the past, but it's getting slowed lately with what I'm asking of the AF2 and other plug-ins.

Any assistance, greatly appreciated,
Mo

Axe fx two into AES on my RME Fireface UFX. I run pro tools 10, logic X and Ableton. No problems at all with latency as I'm not using the axe via USB. If I monitor thru my DAW I have to lower the buffer but otherwise it's a fairly straightforward workflow. Is there anything specific that you are having issues with?

Metric Halo ULN-8. Recording I basically use Digital Performer, but I also have and use Pro Tools, Logic, Ableton Live. I go analog into the ULN-8 because I record at 96k.

I usually run any guitar processor into my DAW host as audio. Of course I have a audio interface (MOTU 828 mk 3) that allows this to happen, and then use firewire to the mac. Then adding vst reverb and other effects as needed, but I dont see a slow down this way. Now, I have not tried the Axe FX II via USB into a DAW Host yet, never considered doing so because Ive not ever had issues using the audio outs... Something to consider i guess... Henry I just did a search for a Metric Halo ULN-8.. Holy crap Im way out done here... Pardon me whiles I tiptoe back into my corner... ; )

I'm using Logic Pro 9 and an Maudio Profire 610 connected by FireWire to my IMac running Mountain Lion. I was previously not using the USB interface as it was giving me all kinds of problems but now with the new drivers and FW 11 I don't seem to have those previous issues (pops and crackles).

Very happily using an RME Fireface 800. Above average converters, great routing options, decent preamps, and rock-solid drivers. Plus, the Total Mix software is very useful. Maybe one day I will upgrade to the RME UFX, but for what I am doing the FF800 is a winner. I finally have a very stable setup with the RME and Pro Tools 10.

Interface into DAW is Metric Halo ULN2 and 2882
DAW is Digital Performer
I have Ableton Live loaded and configured as a complex looping rig, but I haven't needed to pull out that weapon (yet).

THIS IS WHAT I'M TALKING ABOUT!!!!! THANK YOU!!!!!

Alright, ya, I'm using a MBP 8GB ML.
For those using an interface, are you using the digital outs of the AF2 or analog?
RME is on my hitlist.
I've got a PF610 and I've found it a bit inconsistent, but still solid for what it is.
I've been using USB direct to my MBP/DAW, but since I've been also porting an MPK49 into it for synths, SD2.0 for drums, and filling tracks up with other plug-ins, it's getting bogged down.

Ultimately, I'm aiming to plug all my peripherals into an interface; send them to my DAW, mix, process, and then pump 'em out to my CLRs. Running backing tracks through my CLRs has been an added bonus as they really shine for multi-music applications. With the 2 inputs, easily done - one takes care of Axe-II, the other, my output from the DAW, which, ultimately, will be the interface in question.

I think it's simply a matter of FW>USB - more throughput, less hiccups.

I'm using Cubase 7, but I use the headphone out of the Axe so I don't hear any lag and it records perfectly. Usb strait into the motherboard.

Whoops just saw your follow up post

You will be happy with any RME interface!

Pauly

I'm using Cubase 7, but I use the headphone out of the Axe so I don't hear any lag and it records perfectly. Usb strait into the motherboard.

Whoops just saw your follow up post

I'll be the odd duck out in left field, I run the Axe-FX direct via USB, but bring everything out of the DAW with a USB to my Mackie ProFX8. When I run the DAW computer to work on songs, wood shed, etc, I just bring the DAW to the Mackie via USB and run the Axe-FX L/R out to the Mackie on channel 1 & 2.

I use a Presonus Firestudio Project via firewire to my PC. Sonar X2 is my DAW. I also run at 48k and am able to set the buffers at 128 and run almost everything without latency.

Too high of CPU will cause Latency.

I don't run synths which will eat the CPU real fast. Once I get to final mixing and start adding final plugins/reverbs I bump the buffer to 512k. Key thing is track everything with the smallest amount of plugins. Turn them on for reference if you need a quick listen midtracking but overall keep them minimal until your done tracking. Keep your PC dedicated if you can, no antivirus, go through the pc task processes and figure out what you can kill and then disable it at the source. Run it lean and keep your PC tuned. If you find yourself going back to tracking after mixing, turn all those plugs back off.

I also found splitting multiple harddrives helps, DAW and projects one one, recordings to another. If you must run synth or plugins with samples, put those on a third drive. Also double your PC memory from what you use.

Also if you use Superior Drummer or any other similar, keep the effects within the plugin to a minimal on that as well since it contributes to eating CPU which causes latency.

These are just some things I've learned in the last couple years which might help.

I'll be the odd duck out in left field, I run the Axe-FX direct via USB, but bring everything out of the DAW with a USB to my Mackie ProFX8. When I run the DAW computer to work on songs, wood shed, etc, I just bring the DAW to the Mackie via USB and run the Axe-FX L/R out to the Mackie on channel 1 & 2.

Odd duckedness is right up my alley - thanks for this. Worthy post :calm:

Back
Top Bottom