Axe II as interface - How to turn off Axe output for guitar, but not DAW?

Spaceboy

Inspired
Sorry to keep asking questions... I have an aggregate with the Axe II using Pro Tools 10 and using the Axe FX outputs for the monitors. If I want to record a track, I need somehow turn off the Axe FX output off in a way that it allows PT10 audio out to the monitors, but doesn't allow audio straight from the Axe. At the moment, if I record enable a track and start recording, I get static issues because the monitors are playing both audio directly through the Axe FX, and the track input monitoring from pro tools. I didn't see an answer in the manual... how do I set this up in the IO menu?

I think you'd have to set USB/Digi Out Source to "Out 2" then route guitar to FXL only.
Could you expand on that? I can easily select Out 2 for USB, but do you mean by route guitar to FXL only? Would the monitors need to be moved to output 2?

Connect amp/fx chain to the effects loop block in the routing, without connecting FXL block to anything in the next column. Monitors stay connected to Out 1 which would then have only what the computer sends via USB.

So that would allow USB signal to DAW, but what about those times I'm wanting to play without having to open Pro Tools and record enable tracks? Or am I misunderstanding something?

The main problem I'm having is when trying to record. Say I have an audio track and I set it to punch in at a certain spot. Because the Axe FX is directly connected to the monitors, I can hear everything I'm playing and the DAW audio, but when it gets to the point where in punches in and starts recording, the monitors are trying to put out both the DAW audio and the signal from the Axe FX directly, which results in all kinds of crackles and sizzles. Your method would probably work great when I'm inside the DAW, but I need a way to temporarily shut off Axe FX output and keep USB going, without it being something built into the patch. I like being able to simply turn on the monitors/axe fx and jam without being in the DAW.

I run similar to you into ProTools.

I have the analog out -> monitor controller -> monitors
digital out -> ProTools -> monitor controller -> monitors

But my monitor controller lets me turn off the AxeFx input, so I just mute that when I'm tracking.

Inside PT, there are only two record monitor modes. The default is auto, you hear the track until the punch point, then it switches to the input automatically. The other mode is input only monitoring. Track -> Input Only Monitor. Then you only here in the input never the track.

I don't think either of these two modes get what you are looking for but thought I would toss it out there in case you see a way to make it work for you.

Richard

So that would allow USB signal to DAW, but what about those times I'm wanting to play without having to open Pro Tools and record enable tracks?

The easiest solution would probably be routing to Out 1 too and placing some block (like vol/pan or filter) in that path to mute when bypassed. A quick control knob could be assigned as a level/bypass source to do that while at the recall screen.

This is my exact recording setup.

My desired amp/fx chain... Vol block before the output.

Then just before the volume pedal or in parallel I use an FXL with USB/DIGI set for output 2. This also allows me to use the main level slider of the FXL to set my recording level.

A while back I made quite a stink about the removal of this option. Within 5 days FAS restored the option in the 5.01 revision which has been I officially dubbed 'the shotgunn update'. Thanx again FAS!!!

Or if you have to place in column 12 for space reasons, set FXL balance and that row's layout mixer balance to opposite sides.

Back
Top Bottom