Axe FX Ultra (as an effects unit)

jb70

Experienced
hey there my fellow axe fx'ers,

i had started a thread on the gear page last week (Axe FX Ultra (as an effects unit)(new clips added!) - The Gear Page) and thought that i would post here as well. i just wanted to share a couple of clips of my latest rig with you guys. i have an axe fx ultra and use it as an effects unit with my port city rig. most of the clips i've heard feature the amps and cabs in the axe fx but it also functions beautifully as a virtual pedalboard straight into an amp. i'm using a grosh electrajet with single coil pickups, my axe fx ultra, and my port city pearl amp with a port city 1x12 OS wave cab. i miked up the cab with an audio technica 4033 and ran it straight into my mbox 2 pro. i hope y'all enjoy!

jack

jazz tone:

ambient improv 1:

ambient improv 2:

low gain:

medium gain:

clean funk with phaser:

clean funk with chorus:

voxy:

voxy with stereo guitars:

high gain lead:

high gain rhythm:

SRV-ish:

DSCN0100.jpg

DSCN0094.jpg

Last edited:
Like a wrote om TGP: cool!

There's no AFX at all on the dry clips (low gain, mdeium, gain, leads, hi gain) I assume?

Like a wrote om TGP: cool!

There's no AFX at all on the dry clips (low gain, mdeium, gain, leads, hi gain) I assume?

thanks yek! oh, there's axe fx on everything! the port city pearl just provides you with a great sounding clean tone so any overdrive/distortion you are hearing is all axe fx.

Aha, now I understand. :)
Care to share some details? Always interesting to see things like selected drive types.

Love your fluid style and jazzy licks.

Great stuff... love the funky stuff... pls share more about settings etc and/or patch if you have... keep em coming

Aha, now I understand. :)
Care to share some details? Always interesting to see things like selected drive types.

Love your fluid style and jazzy licks.

Great stuff... love the funky stuff... pls share more about settings etc and/or patch if you have... keep em coming

thanks guys! i'm glad you dug the clips. sure, i can share my settings for a couple of patches. here's how i set up my medium gain patch:

bender fuzz - blues od - delay - reverb - parametric eq

bender fuzz:

drive 4.72
tone 4.17
level 8.62
mix 50%

low cut 65 Hz
high cut 2271 Hz
clip type si diode
slew limit 0
bias 0.2

eq bass +7.0 dB
eq mid 0
eq treble -6.0

blues od:

drive 8.54
tone 2.52
level 5.0
mix 100%

low cut 60.4 Hz
high cut 2074 Hz
clip type hv tube
slew limit 5
bias 0.01

eq bass +4.2 dB
eq mid -0.6
mid freq 2000 Hz
eq treble -6.0

peq:

roll bass off at 70 Hz
slight bump at 896.9 Hz, q = 2.539, gain +1.32 dB

there's also a bit of delay and reverb as well

here's my high gain patch:

tube drive - shred dist - delay - reverb - peq

tube drive:

drive 3.70
tone 5.00
level 5.08
mix 100%

low cut 793.3 Hz
high cut 3090 Hz
clip type lv tube
slew limit 0
bias 0.02

eq bass 0
eq mid 0
eq treble -4.6 dB

shred dist:

drive 2.52
tone 5.00
level 4.13
mix 100%

low cut 1004 Hz
high cut 3204 Hz
clip type ge diode
slew limit 6.85
bias 0.01

eq bass 0
eq mid 0
eq treble -1.6 dB

peq:

roll bass off at 179.4 Hz
slight bump at 349.4 Hz, q = 2.659, gain +1.32 dB
roll off highs around 4k

Very, very nice. Love the jazz piece, the two ambient pieces, and the medium gain clip especially. Very cool.

thanks a lot youngmic! so how are you digging your grosh classic?

It's a great guitar. I should play it more. The Anderson gets a lot more playing time. I prefer the Anderson's neck and controls.

One of these days, I'm going to pick up a Tyler. :)
Mike

It's a great guitar. I should play it more. The Anderson gets a lot more playing time. I prefer the Anderson's neck and controls.

One of these days, I'm going to pick up a Tyler. :)
Mike

well you can't go wrong with grosh, anderson or tyler guitars. they are all amazing instruments! i have a sadowsky custom tele that i had made a few years ago but i've been playing the sh!t out of this grosh ever since i got it last year :)

thanks guys! i'm glad you dug the clips. sure, i can share my settings for a couple of patches. here's how i set up my medium gain patch: (...)

Thanks for sharing. Wow, the Bender and the Blues OD, I'd never think of that. :)

Thanks for sharing. Wow, the Bender and the Blues OD, I'd never think of that. :)

hey yek,
yeah, i had some tones in my head that i couldn't get by using only 1 drive block. the bender/blues od is one of those magical combinations in the axe fx. i'm hoping that cliff adds a bunch of new drive pedals to the axe II!

AXE Fx as effect unit

Wondering if you are still using the Axe Fx as an effects unit with your Port City rig? I have been doing the same with a Germino Club 40 and have been pretty happy with the simplicity of the setup.. There are 2 questions I had for you if you are indeed still using this setup:

1. Have you run into any issues with running the line level output of the Axe into the instrument input on your Port City? I have had some noise problems and not sure if it is something I am doing wrong or if it is inherent in the setup.. I guess I could look into a line switcher but prefer to keep the rig as simple as possible.

2. Have you been happy with the non-modulated effects you are using from the Axe (ie distortion, phasers, etc..). Assuming you are running all effects in front of the amp given your comment about using Port City for clean only? I haven't been overwhelmed by the "feel" of the drive effects but it could just be the way I have them configured (or the unending quest for better tone :>)) If you are now into an AXE Fx II, do you notice any considerable difference in the drive effects available?

As I said, I am pretty happy with the simplicity of the setup.. just always interested to hear how others are leveraging the unit.. pretty cool how we can leverage the Axe for different purposes depending on need.. pretty flexible..

Thanks
Brian

Back
Top Bottom