Axe FX Standard Or AX8?

Just looking for some advice, guys. I currently work in an 80's cover act, and have been using an Ax FX Standard for around a couple of months. I use my backing tracks software to pre-program MIDI Patch Changes, so the guitar effects change automatically during the songs. As a consequence, I don't miss a floor controller. I find the Standard an enormous step up from previous processors I've owned and my question is:
Is it worth the step up to the AX8? I don't record at all- just gig regularly, so in the heat of battle is it worth the extra money? I'm not a great tweaker, preferring to find a sound that's quite close and do some basic editing to it to get what I want.
Thanks in advance.

^True - I missed the part of sequencing your stuff with backing tracks. If you aren't already on the waitlist for the AX8 it will be easier for you to update to a used II anyhow.

Thanks everyone. I will probably pick up an AX2 at some point. I can always add the foot controller at a later date if I go out in a band format.

The ax will respond to midi changes so you should be able to still do your back tracks stuff. the modeling is massively different from a Std at this point.

There is that old saying if it isn't broke don't fix it. Someone mentioned a used axe ii. That is an option as well. Sometimes if you are lucky you can score one for a few hundred more than the ax once it is in regular stock

I have it posted for 2400 or best offer. It includes an Axe Fx 2 mk ll, MFC 101 mk1 with som kicktags, pedalboard extension with custom cables, power supply, manuals (i need to dig those up)
Here is a quick video

Just looking for some advice, guys. I currently work in an 80's cover act, and have been using an Ax FX Standard for around a couple of months. I use my backing tracks software to pre-program MIDI Patch Changes, so the guitar effects change automatically during the songs. As a consequence, I don't miss a floor controller. I find the Standard an enormous step up from previous processors I've owned and my question is:
Is it worth the step up to the AX8? I don't record at all- just gig regularly, so in the heat of battle is it worth the extra money? I'm not a great tweaker, preferring to find a sound that's quite close and do some basic editing to it to get what I want.
Thanks in advance.

No question. The AX8 over the Standard in every aspect. For me, I would rather have my AX8 than an Axe-Fx XL. Depends on your needs.

I say get the AX8. Can't recommend it enough.

No question. The AX8 over the Standard in every aspect. For me, I would rather have my AX8 than an Axe-Fx XL. Depends on your needs.

I say get the AX8. Can't recommend it enough.

If don't need the foot controller, an AX8 makes no sense. Why pay for what you don't need? Makes more sense to get a used Axe FX 2, have more power, and be able to use it now instead of who knows when.
-
Austin

Last edited:
If don't need the foot controller, an AX8 makes no sense. Why pay for what you don't need? Makes for sense to get a used Axe FX 2, have more power, and be able to use it know instead of who knows when.
-
Austin

Sure, that works too. I missed that part that he doesn't need a foot controller.

Back
Top Bottom