Axe FX right on top of the Xbox, home audio in a pinch?

Hello all, I'm thinking of getting one of those newfangled axe fx's, and I'm trying to envision how my setup would work out of the box.

I'm going to be playing at home for the most part (and affording a good quality FRFR speaker is going to be hard after buying the axe), so what's all of yours' opinions on running the axe fx out into a fairly high quality denon system? It should work comparably, no?

Don't do it! I've heard umpteen horror stories about people blowing their home audio systems by doing something like this. :eek: Seriously, if you want a quick, dirty, workable solution, get a decent used keyboard amp. The Roland KC-150 comes to mind - you can get one for a couple hundred bucks on e-bay, they're small, light, and can double as a cheap monitor in a pinch.

I will second that, Don't do it. I think people get a little overwhelmed when doing research by all the options, and trying to figure out which ones the best, and then you start building up this assumption that you have to have the QSCs that everyone talks about or it won't sound right. I personally played a few of those mental games at times. However I've found that there are a lot of economical compromises that will get you off the ground with out breaking the bank. I would agree with the KC-150 recommendation I had one during my POD days that worked well. I think I bought and sold it for 150 bucks...

I would also recommend a pair of headphones around 100 dollars and a cheapo mixer. I would take that over a home stereo anyday.
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/4 ... tudio.html
I've had these headphones since college and use them for work and at home on a regular basis still, best damn 150 bucks I've spent.

Just this weekend I was at my girlfriends place with my axe. I keep a spare pair of monitors (M-Audio AV40s 150$ near field monitors) there which I usually just use for MP3 playback and making her shitty TV sound 10 times better. There quite well suited for that and beat the hell out of most PC oriented speakers. Point being I plugged directly into those for some quick noodling and wasn't expecting all that much out of them. However I was pleasantly surprised (keeping in mind what they cost) at the sound I got.

You really should drop 200-300 dollars on something so you can hear your axe properly. For 300 bucks I'd get...
KRK Rockit 5s There not perfect but they server me well and I see them in many facilities for playback
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/5 ... 2_45W.html

Cheapo Mixer - I wouldn't buy one of these but it should work fine for anyone starting out
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/4 ... mpact.html

This is just my opinion, you will find many more on this forum. Get an axe and something that will truly let you hear it and you won't ever regret it. I play at home a lot and have spent a lot of time trying to find my ideal sound for late night headphone practice and scratchpad recording. The axe-fx is the best damn thing I've come across to date.

thanks for the response all, I'll definitely take your suggestions into consideration when the (glorious) day of purchase comes

"Don't do it! I've heard umpteen horror stories about people blowing their home audio systems by doing something like this."

Blew my Mirage home speakers...expensive lesson...using headphones now, and waiting for the Fratomic FR...

Back
Top Bottom