Axe-Fx question before I buy...

I am seriously thinking about buying one of these units. My only question is, how does this thing do modeling an ENGL Savage 120? A good example would be the band Primal Fear. As a matter of fact, how does this unit model any ENGL (IE. Special Edition and the Invader series)?

Thanks for the input.

Scott...

Hi, Scott. At the present time, the only ENGL amp that is modeled in the Axe-Fx is the Powerball. Having never played the real deal, I can't speak to the accuracy of the Axe-Fx model. But I can tell you that I do happen to like the sound of that particular sim quite a bit. The other thing that I would suggest to you is this; don't get too hung up on the level of accuracy of any given amp sim. There are quite a few that will do their namesake's tones to where you'd be hard pressed to find someone who could tell you which is which if you A/Bd them. Others, not so much. The thing you truly need to know is that just because the Axe-Fx doesn't have a sim of your favorite amp, does not mean that you can't get those tones from another amp sim that IS inside this amazing black box. Start with a sim that is tonally similar to what you're looking for and then start playing with all the goodies. (EQ, Drive blocks, Filters, Cab sims, Mic sims, etc.) Chances are you will either meet or exceed your original expectations of the tone you were trying to achieve. Take the plunge, man. It's worth every last penny!

P.S. Just because the Savage 120, Invader, or the Special Edition isn't modeled yet, that doesn't mean that they won't be modeled in the future. And if they are, Santa Claus, (he goes by the alias "Cliff Chase") will give them to you for.....wait for it.............FREE!!!!! Pretty freakin' sweet, eh?

Also keep in mind that amp designers generally don't reinvent the wheel. They mostly start off modifying and tinkering to improve there favorite amps and from there start building there own creations with a heavy inspiration from whatever circuit they started modding. Chances are you can find a "similar model" and practically modify it yourself using some of the advanced controls cliff has put at your disposal in the advanced tabs. As well, many users find a closer sound in the models they least expect. Cliff could model a savage 120, but there is no guarantee it'll sound like you want.

Man my memory is bad but I do remember someone mentioning how one of the Soldano sims sounded identical to his ENGL Blackmore. :cool:

Thanks for the replies.

I downloaded the manual for the Ultra, and I think I found it. Is this amp sim the one, "DAS METALL". Or is this an Uberschall sim?

THANX!!!!!

Scott...

RNRCRAZYKNIGHT62 said:
Thanks for the replies.

I downloaded the manual for the Ultra, and I think I found it. Is this amp sim the one, "DAS METALL". Or is this an Uberschall sim?

I think that's the Diezel VH4.

bleh, in the end they all go "buzz buzz" anyway....

/me ducks and covers... :lol: :lol:

RNRCRAZYKNIGHT62 said:
So the question would be; are there any high-gain amp models that are modeled from an amp using 6550 tubes?

Scott...

I won't do the research to answer to what amps use 6550's, but here is a great starting point for you to do it yourself:

http://axefxwiki.guitarlogic.org/index.php?title=List_of_amp_simulations

Also check out these:

http://axefxwiki.guitarlogic.org/index.php?title=Category:Effect_blocks
http://axefxwiki.guitarlogic.org/index.php?title=List_of_cabinet_simulations
http://axefxwiki.guitarlogic.org/index.php?title=Description_of_Mic_Models
http://axefxwiki.guitarlogic.org/index.php?title=Description_of_drive_models

RNRCRAZYKNIGHT62 said:
I am seriously thinking about buying one of these units. My only question is, how does this thing do modeling an ENGL Savage 120? A good example would be the band Primal Fear. As a matter of fact, how does this unit model any ENGL (IE. Special Edition and the Invader series)?

Thanks for the input.

Scott...
Hey there Scott... If this is the Primal Scream you are talking about (first Youtube clip on their site that says... "Ever since I was born I was given to the others")... Then the sound is most definitely there... kinda 80's metal sounding right? I've seen most people use the Soldano and/or the Mesa to get this sound....

[/quote]
Hey there Scott... If this is the Primal Scream you are talking about (first Youtube clip on their site that says... "Ever since I was born I was given to the others")... Then the sound is most definitely there... kinda 80's metal sounding right? I've seen most people use the Soldano and/or the Mesa to get this sound....[/quote]

Here's a good clip of what I'm looking for

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AbQczCg54r8&feature=related

This sound and I would need it to be heavier sometimes.

Scott

acwild said:
Man my memory is bad but I do remember someone mentioning how one of the Soldano sims sounded identical to his ENGL Blackmore. :cool:

That was me

I know the blackmore is similar in tone to the savage

Who knows, maybe tweaking the SLO patch a lot could get you pretty dam close

That was awesome sounding! That was real close. You will have to send me the settings for that preset.

Was that recorded direct or through a cabinet with a mic?

And this leads me to my next question. What is the best way to run these live? I was thinking you could take this sound turn off the cab simulator and run the unit through a good power amp and 4X12.

Thanks again for the sound sample.

I'm going to be starting my "Fractal Yard Sale" this weekend and should be purchasing the Axe-FX sometime before the end of the month.

Scott

RNRCRAZYKNIGHT62 said:
That was awesome sounding! That was real close. You will have to send me the settings for that preset.

Was that recorded direct or through a cabinet with a mic?

And this leads me to my next question. What is the best way to run these live? I was thinking you could take this sound turn off the cab simulator and run the unit through a good power amp and 4X12.

Thanks again for the sound sample.

I'm going to be starting my "Fractal Yard Sale" this weekend and should be purchasing the Axe-FX sometime before the end of the month.

Scott
No problem Scott... Here's the patch and the IR. Get your Ultra already!!! ;)

P.S. I have the IR set to cab 10.

Back
Top Bottom