Axe FX Metal and LPF

ShadowK

I went into a dark dank cave for a month since I got my Axe FX ;)

One thing I noticed, I saw a fair bit of recommendation to LPF metal tones to 6-7K, I've been finding the tones a little dull / lack of fullness if I do that? So I have been going for around 11K..

Am I doing something wrong?

As long as it sounds right to you and you're achieving the tones you're after, no. You're doing absolutely nothing wrong. Carry on. :)

No Problem. For what it's worth, I usually chop anywhere from 8k - 11k. But I do it in the Cab block. Works for me.

No Problem. For what it's worth, I usually chop anywhere from 8k - 11k. But I do it in the Cab block. Works for me.

That's great, it's nice to have a point of reference. I spent a long time with real amps and always chopped then around 11 - 13, I suppose if that's what I proffered in a real amp why should the axe be any different? I keep treating it like a modeller, I'll get used to it :)

I too find that cutting highs in the CAB block works much better for me then cutting in the AMP block and/or with a post-PEQ; getting rid of the 'crispies' in the CAB block is my standard working proceedure.

Yeah, it's kind of a weird way to work because you don't have that option in a physical cab. So it's very easy to forget that you have that parameter to adjust in the Axe-Fx. It really works well to tame the high end though. It's just one of those things that you have to make a mental note to remember when dialing tones. It's very quick and very effective. Glad it's there. :)

After a while you will get used to using high and low cut in the cab or using a Filter, PEQ, or GEQ.
The thing to remember is the IR's untouched have MUCH more range than a real cab. You are
mimicking that with the high and low cut or using a Filter, PEQ, and GEQ.
When making a patch for live use, the Fletcher Munson curve comes into plav as well. You
have to tune your patches to the volume you are using. There is a science to it, but its
basically less lows, less highs, and more mids to get things nice and loud/cutting.

That's kool, I just noticed when I cut below 8K it just seems to start lacking.. Normally a dip around 2k to get rid of fizz and then a HPF around 75 - 100hz.. Use a PEQ to boost the 3 - 4Khz.. so it cuts and all is golden.

I have 5K's worth of monitoring gear in an acoustically treated room, not sure if that has any impact on it?

Started doing it on the CAB block like suggested to great results, thanks guys..

I generally have little lows in AMP, but I've found this depends on what mic sim is used. If no mic, then that changes, but I've also had to compensate elsewhere a bit, and haven't stuck with using no mic. High-wise, depending on the amp type, I cut from 6-8k, up: in the AMP graphic eq, or/and with a post PEQ, as well as in the CAB. Often in that order, though occasionally I try a PEQ post-CAB. In any of these cases, I tend to boost at about 3.2k , and maybe at 2k.

Back
Top Bottom