axe fx into amp head to cab?

sadpolar7

hi guys, i'm new here and thinking about buying one of these bad boys. Sorry if this is a noob question but i need your help.
I have a carvin legacy 3 head and mesa cab. I don't want to buy a power amp and i see many people going from guitar to axe fx to amp head to cab. How is this achieved? Do I go right into the input of the amp head? The power amp input? Or am I missing something here? Also when its plugged into the amp head do the parameters do anything anymore on my head? I'm hoping not but just curious. Any help would be appreciated and again sorry if this is a noob question but i've been searching for a while and couldn't find my answer. Thanks!!

You could run the Axe into the effects loop. Some people disable the power modelling on the Axe, some don't. You should experiment to see what works for you. The Axe wiki has lots of info for ya!

Yep. You'd have a couple options. More than a couple ;-)

You could run into the Axe, then straight into the power amp section of your Carvin. I run into a tube power amp, but I keep the amp sims on since my power amp is fairly neutral (most are more neutral than you think).
You could run into the Carvin's pre-amp, then have the axe in the FX loop.
You could run into the Axe, then into the Carvin's pre-amp. I have a 1x12 tube combo that I sometimes do this with and it sounds great (better than the amp normally sounds actually, since it has strange voicing running straight into it).
The Axe has an FX loop of its own that can be inserted anywhere in the grid, so you could even run guitar->axe->some effects->carvin pre-amp->axe->more effects->carvin's power amp->speakers. Crazy.

I ran direct in to an amp for a long time - either a 1965 AC30, a 1968 Twin Reverb or a newer '57 Twin - all with great results. Actually, it was some of the best tones I have enjoyed with the Axe FX and the effects blocks worked great. I only stopped because of the need to reduce our stage volume. Now, I go direct to FOH. When you consider the variables of mic'ing the amp, speaker choice, mic placement, bleed, quality of AC current, tubes, etc., I don't think you sacrifice much at the FOH as far as tone goes. And, I love the lower stage volumes.

Just remember to bypass the power amp and cabinet emulations in the Global men. My best results were achieved by not loading an amp or cab model in the preset.

I predominately use studio monitors, but occasionally run my Axe directly into the loop (fx return) of my 6505 head and Mesa 2x12 cab. I turn the cab sims off, but actually prefer to leave the power amp sims on. Honestly, I prefer the overall tone of the Axe/6505/Mesa Cab vs. my studio monitors, but because most of my playing is at low-moderate volumes, the studio monitors give me more flexibility with the cab sims on and they are more manageable at lower volumes.
But yeah, running the Axe directly into your Legacy and cab will be a great option. I think you will be blown away by the results!

When you say into the "pre amp" are you basically saying the amp front input? By the way I will be shutting off all cab sims off while doing this since i will go from guitar to carvin head to mesa cab. Thanks for the help so far. What differs when going from guitar to axe to carvin head poweramp to cab, as opposed to guitar to axe to carvin head pre amp to cab?

Yep. You'd have a couple options. More than a couple ;-)

You could run into the Axe, then straight into the power amp section of your Carvin. I run into a tube power amp, but I keep the amp sims on since my power amp is fairly neutral (most are more neutral than you think).
You could run into the Carvin's pre-amp, then have the axe in the FX loop.
You could run into the Axe, then into the Carvin's pre-amp. I have a 1x12 tube combo that I sometimes do this with and it sounds great (better than the amp normally sounds actually, since it has strange voicing running straight into it).
The Axe has an FX loop of its own that can be inserted anywhere in the grid, so you could even run guitar->axe->some effects->carvin pre-amp->axe->more effects->carvin's power amp->speakers. Crazy.

If you plug the axe into the amps input, you are hitting the amps pre amp section, then the power amp section, then the cab. The sound you would hear from the axe is colored by the pre amp section of your amp. The amp's preamp tubes, gain stages, bass, treble, mid knobs, etc. This method isn't a "clean" direct signal. There will be continuous variables that you'll have to adjust to get a good sound. Some (very few) actually use this method and make it work with their axe, pod, 11r units.

The preferred way is to go right from the output of your axe and into the effects loop return on your head/amp. This completely bypasses your amps preamp section, goes directly to your amps power tube section and to your cab. No eq controls or anything within the preamp section. Basically 4 big power tubes pushing the sound to your cab without the preamps gain stages, etc., resulting in a much cleaner direct signal without the added variables. Hope this helps.

The preferred way is to go right from the output of your axe and into the effects loop return on your head/amp. This completely bypasses your amps preamp section, goes directly to your amps power tube section and to your cab. No eq controls or anything within the preamp section. Basically 4 big power tubes pushing the sound to your cab without the preamps gain stages, etc., resulting in a much cleaner direct signal without the added variables. Hope this helps.
Well said. I think most would agree this is the best method.

Back
Top Bottom