AFIII Axe FX III Scenes & Channels Demo

Nice job.

To recap:
- Channels can be thought of as a preset for an individual block. For example, you can think of the Delay block as being a stand-alone delay pedal (or rackmount processor) with four presets.
- Scenes store the bypass state and channel for each block.

By using scenes and channels you can use a single preset for an entire song, an entire set or even the entire show. Since the routing doesn't need to change things switch fast and smooth. When switching presets the processor has to assume the routing might have changed and therefore has to clear all the buffers, mute the audio, etc. which takes time and interrupts the audio.

Thanks for the video. I’ve been very interested in hearing amp blocks controlled with channels. Maybe I misread a while back but I thought the audio drop outs were gone with channels and amp switching as compared to how it works with x/y. What I’m hearing here is that two amp blocks would still be required for seamless switching. It seems improved but still audible. Could this be a preset setup issue?

Great Video ,that Plexi preset sounds killer

One other thing I noticed ,could you just turn the A knobs to scroll through scene faster ?

So Cliff ,just to clarify you need to use 2 amp blocks if you want no interruption changing scenes ,especially if going from something like a twin to a Recto is this correct , amp1 and Amp2 will be seamless transition

Great Video ,that Plexi preset sounds killer

One other thing I noticed ,could you just turn the A knobs to scroll through scene faster ?

So Cliff ,just to clarify you need to use 2 amp blocks if you want no interruption changing scenes ,especially if going from something like a twin to a Recto is this correct , amp1 and Amp2 will be seamless transition
Correct!!! There are many ways to access the scenes and channels... and they vary depending on what screen you're on!

This new addition of channels is seriously going to change the way I work. I will need less presets for session work now. Very cool. And to be clear, that split second amp change volume mute doesn't bother me at all. Didn't even bother me in previous units either where it was more obvious. I know other users are more picky so I felt it was worth mentioning.

you need to use 2 amp blocks if you want no interruption changing scenes ,especially if going from something like a twin to a Recto is this correct , amp1 and Amp2 will be seamless transition
so many parameters are changing when you switch amp types. using channels, there has to be a short audio gap to prevent noise from sudden changes of fundamental tone generation.

like on the Axe-Fx II, using 2 amp blocks you are simply muting or unmuting them, so there is no audio gap needed - no parameters are changing. those 2 amp tones are ready to go, one is just muted. with real amps, many pro/touring players have several of the same amp, or several different amps, each set for the tone they need, and use an audio switcher - like an A/B box - to change their sound. many really don't use channels even on a multi-channel amp if they need absolutely no gaps when changing sounds. same concept here.

so many parameters are changing when you switch amp types. using channels, there has to be a short audio gap to prevent noise from sudden changes of fundamental tone generation.

like on the Axe-Fx II, using 2 amp blocks you are simply muting or unmuting them, so there is no audio gap needed - no parameters are changing. those 2 amp tones are ready to go, one is just muted. with real amps, many pro/touring players have several of the same amp, or several different amps, each set for the tone they need, and use an audio switcher - like an A/B box - to change their sound. many really don't use channels even on a multi-channel amp if they need absolutely no gaps when changing sounds. same concept here.
In the examples demonstrated, I don't hear any bigger of a gap than I would when changing channels on a real amp. This is so much better than the Axe Fx II x/y :)

Thanks Chris that makes perfect sense now

Milo ,again that preset sounds great , Maybe you could share the preset when you have some time and your happy with it in the Presets thread ?

Will the number of scenes ever be increased to support more than 8 now that we have the expanded capabilities of channels? Personally I've never needed more than 8 per preset. But I have a few different presets where if combined into one, the total number of scenes needed may go beyond 8. With many of the blocks having 4 channels, the amount of combinations within a preset is fairly large. My other thought is maybe this is addressed with the FC's capabilities. If you easily pull up a scene that represents a 'Rig' within a preset, and then have the ability to change one ore more channels within that scene easily, that would seem to allow for the use of one preset for about anything you could imagine. And again, my thinking and approach to all of this may be completely wrong and I'm missing something that negates the question in general :) Any feedback is greatly appreciated.

maybe this is addressed with the FC's capabilities. If you easily pull up a scene that represents a 'Rig' within a preset, and then have the ability to change one ore more channels within that scene easily, that would seem to allow for the use of one preset for about anything you could imagine.

Precisely!

On the topic of a single preset: yes and no. Let me explain this (including a suggestion for @FractalAudio ). :)

I play in more than one band, and my main band plays 70+ tunes.

With the bands, I rely on a "preset-per-song" approach. Each preset has the correct tempo set for that song. I program scenes for various parts within each song. My RJM controller lets me name scenes, which makes things a lot easier. Also, when I switch presets, the BandHelper app on my iPad switches along, displaying lyrics and notes. It's all automated and very handy when gigging. I'm not the only one doing this.

With the III arriving, I can keep doing the same thing, but not until Global Blocks are implemented. Programming all those presets again without the help of Global Blocks would be a nightmare. ;-)

Now, the alternative idea of sticking to merely a single (or a few) presets, using scenes and channels, is very tempting. But it forces a lot of tap dancing and/or tweaking between songs, scene names would not be song-specific, etc.

I do see and propose a solution. It 's not expanding the number of scenes. It is: SONGS.

A SONG simply is a set of 8 scenes, with a name (song name), linking to a single preset. For example, I could have 30 songs, each one linked to the same single preset. The preset and its effect blocks and its routing would not change (of course), but the scenes and their names would. The changes to the underlying architecture would be minor, with one exception: each song should have the ability to set the tempo.

Great demo, love this new feature!

Your Les Paul sounds awesome thru those plexi amps.

Which cabs are you using?

Keep the demos coming

Back
Top Bottom