Axe-FX III & resale value of AXFX2 after AX8 release?

If you take his comments on face value then any future improvements to amp modelling may be valid but inaudible :). Of course existing presets will have to undergo re-auditioning and major retweak.

I have a similar opinion... I think we're approaching the point that the modeling is so accurate that further revisions will be geared more towards 'user friendliness' and easier tweaking, etc. I don't think future AFX releases will provide an extremely noticeable change in tone, except when they do a 'facelift' on older effects that haven't been updated in a while, and aside from bug fixes, etc. I don't think the TigerSharc's will be over-stressed very soon. I think we're safe for a while.

A testament to that is that FAS is releasing the AX8 with weaker processors to perform similar functions as the AFX. Why would they release a product with weaker hardware just to turn around and improve/expand the algorithms that make the new product useless because the hardware can't keep up? They wouldn't do that.

I give FAS credit for developing the AFX using the best hardware they could, even 5 years ago, when that hardware was insanely expensive. It gave them an awesome platform with which to develop the AFX, so now they can keep the price of their product the same, and as the hardware prices decrease, their profit increases.

Long story short - I wouldn't expect an AFX 3 in the next couple years. JMO

I feel kinda bad for Cliff because this isn't a business model oriented towards maximizing profits in the least, but, well, God bless him!

Yep, Cliff isn't about planned obsolescence. At this point, Fractal is nearly a decade old and has a line of great products. I think a lot of them are variations on a theme. The two big EVENT-type releases were the original AxeFX and the AxeFX II.

I pity the day Cliff decides to retire to an island.

Back
Top Bottom