Axe-Fx III. Output mode. Copy L to R. UsSB sound incomplete

Hello guys, may you help me please?
I’ve made a search on forum, but don’t find the answer.

Listening Spotify music in 2 monitors HS8 with Axe-Fx plug into a Mac via USB, I noticed some songs without one or other instrument.

I use output mode copy L to R.
So, I changed that mode to stereo and sum L+R and the instruments in the song go back.

May you answer me please some questions? I’m very thankful!

a) copy L to R don’t work so well with usb songs played from streaming?

b) should I use sum L+R in order to usb songs play with all instruments recorded?

c) may you explain me about phase cancelation sim sum L+R? Is there this risk?

Thank you very much again, gays!
All the best to you!

Listening Spotify music in 2 monitors HS8 with Axe-Fx plug into a Mac via USB, I noticed some songs without one or other instrument.

So, I changed that mode to stereo and sum L+R and the instruments in the song go back.

b) should I use sum L+R in order to usb songs play with all instruments recorded?

All the best to you!
  • STEREO: No special settings required.
  • HALF STEREO: Leaving the Axe-Fx III in its default stereo configuration but connecting only one (Left) output results in “half-stereo.” This setup works fine, aside from the exceptions mentioned above (ping-pong, panning, etc). No special settings required.
  • MONO, COPY L>R: Sonically, this is identical to half-stereo, with the same limitations, except that mono signal is produced at both the left and right jacks so you can connect to two monitors. To switch to dual mono, open SETUP: I/O: Audio and set Mode for the desired output to “COPY L->R”.
  • MONO, SUM L+R: In this setup, left and right channels are added together resulting in a mono signal at both left and right outputs of the Axe-Fx III. While this does not discard half of the channels like half-stereo does, summing has its own issues. For example, short delays or phase differences between channels can result in strange artifacts or cancellation. To switch to summed mono, open SETUP: I/O: Audio and set Mode for the desired output to “SUM L+R”.

With COPY L>R, you are deleting the right channel & have the left channel only going to both the left & right channels.
I'm not sure why you wouldn't just use stereo since you want to listen to Spotify but if you want mono with both channels included, use SUM L+R.

Last edited:

All the best to you!
What happens if you just keep the setting set to “stereo”?

I’m assuming your Mac is connected via usb to the fx3 so that you can play along with Spotify music from your Mac - hearing both your guitar and Spotify through your 2 monitors. If this is the case just keep that setting set to stereo. This is what I do.

Hi Notalemming and Dallasglenn2005,
Thank you very much for your answers!
Helped a lot.

So this is the answer, Notalemming. It makes all sense, for with output in stereo the sound is ok.

With the XL+, the output was copy L to R, and I don’t remember notice this issue with usb streaming.

You assumed well, Dallas. That’s the way I use the gear. So, in stereo, all Spotify sounds is ok.

I will change the output to Sum L+R, guys.
In this way, don’t will get issues with the mixers of studio or FOH.

Thank you very much again!
Great weekend to all!

Hi guys!
May you help me again please?

So I changed the output to SUM L+R and, despite the streaming sound ok, I noticed sound cancelation in delays (2290).

With Stereo output all is ok (streaming and delays echoes).

But and about the Studio and FOH?
There will be some issue to the audience?
Is there some risk of the guy on left spot don’t hear some echoes, cascades or another effect?

Thank you again!
Have a nice day!

PS.
I was wondering here... Copy L to R it's not a problem to me. My wish is that output work well with usb sound from the Mac.
It will be possible to add a mixer at the end of grid and, so, put the usb block at the the end linked to it?
Will the Axe-Fx III works like a "mixer" in this way?

Last edited:
If you are getting sound cancellation with the 2290 you are collapsing to mono somewhere. If you are summing L+R, that is likely the problem. Do the ping pong delay test and see if you get distinct delays on L and R channels.

If you are getting sound cancellation with the 2290 you are collapsing to mono somewhere. If you are summing L+R, that is likely the problem. Do the ping pong delay test and see if you get distinct delays on L and R channels.
Hi ocaptainjr2.
Thank you very much for your answer!

Indeed, SUM LR is the problem. Stereo and copy LR don’t.

The question is that I am getting cancelation with the streaming from the computer usb and de copyLR.

On the other hand, SUM LR (that’s resolve the cancelation streaming) provoque cancellation in effects.

Stereo Output is fine to don’t hear streaming or effects phase cancelling. However, I think the FOH will be impacted.

All I wish is find a way to use copy LR and streaming from the computer usb without cancelation… like what is possible to do with a external mixer…

Thanks again, man!

Hi ocaptainjr2.
SUM LR is the problem. Stereo and copy LR don’t.

The question is that I am getting cancelation with the streaming from the computer usb and de copyLR.

All I wish is find a way to use copy LR and streaming from the computer usb without cancelation… like what is possible to do with a external mixer…
Copy Left to Right is the exact same thing as using just the left single only with one cable. Copy LR allows you to use 2 cables to send the same signal if for some reason you need 2 physical cables sending the same thing.

The left signal is present in both cables with Copy LR which is the same thing as sending just the left signal of a stereo signal with one cable out of the left output.

The 2290 has phase reverse on one of the delays by default. Anytime you run it in mono, ie. sum L & R. the 2 sides cancel out. You can just set the phase reverse to none & it will work fine.

Copy Left to Right is the exact same thing as using just the left single only with one cable. Copy LR allows you to use 2 cables to send the same signal if for some reason you need 2 physical cables sending the same thing.

The left signal is present in both cables with Copy LR which is the same thing as sending just the left signal of a stereo signal with one cable out of the left output.
Hi chris!!!
Thank you very much for the answer! Really!
Yes, I understood this part. And copyLR is great for me.

But how should I do for use it and, at same time, listen via Axe-Fx III and 2 HS8 the sound of Spotify sound from usb plugged ina Mac?
(Copy LR causes cancelation of some instruments on usb music.
On the other hand, SUM causes cancelation on effects. And I don’t want to worry about phase canceling on various effects when I am programming…)

The 2290 has phase reverse on one of the delays by default. Anytime you run it in mono, ie. sum L & R. the 2 sides cancel out. You can just set the phase reverse to none & it will work fine.
Hi notalemming!
Thanks again for your post, dude!

Yes, you’re right.
The question is that I wish use copyLR and listen music from streaming without instruments of the song getting phase cancelling.

Using a external mixer will solve all this thing.
But with all the Axe-Fx III qualities, I though it was able to allow listen streaming music from computer and processing signal guitar output copyLR without canceling also. Just like a external mixer can do.

Hi notalemming!
Thanks again for your post, dude!

Yes, you’re right.
The question is that I wish use copyLR and listen music from streaming without instruments of the song getting phase cancelling.

Using a external mixer will solve all this thing.
But with all the Axe-Fx III qualities, I though it was able to allow listen streaming music from computer and processing signal guitar output copyLR without canceling also. Just like a external mixer can do.
here's the thing.

you say an external mixer can solve this. it's because you have the Axe3 set to CopyLR and the mixer is a separate piece that can do all of its own settings.

if you set the Axe3 to CopyLR, you've set the outputs so that the Right channel does not ever appear. you can't set it CopyLR for the guitar and also full stereo for the USB separately using the same physical Outputs.

so this isn't matter of the Axe3 can't do what a mixer does: of course it can't because it's not a mixer with multiple channels with pan control.

you've chosen to set the outputs to CopyLR so that's what you have.

--
why you don't use Stereo outputs for your Stereo setup? just design your preset so the blocks are not creating stereo signals if you're worried about FOH, and anything you DO need in stereo can be in stereo.

also, i play in stereo at gigs all the time. i setup my presets so that anything stereo is "extra" and not crucial to the tone. in stereo they hear a left and right delay for leads, and it sounds great. but if they only hear one, it's great as well. also i often only send one side of my stereo signal out to the FOH and again, just one delay but it sounds fine, just not the "extra" cool 2nd delay or other effects.

so i'm set for all situations. if the sound guy wants mono from me, my amps and tones are all mono, but i would lose some "extra" cool effects that are just nice to have but don't affect anything. if they have a stereo PA and allow stereo input, then i have the full sound with the extras.

--
at home, i'd just set the output to Stereo. this will solve all your problems now. at the gig, then just send the Left output only for mono because again Copy L>R is exactly the same thing.

so leave your unit to stereo, use stereo at home, and at gigs send just the left signal. it's the exact same you're doing now.

You could always set the Axe output to stereo, put your cab block right before the output block & set the cab block input to mono. That way you would have all your guitar sounds in mono & music playback in stereo.

here's the thing.

you say an external mixer can solve this. it's because you have the Axe3 set to CopyLR and the mixer is a separate piece that can do all of its own settings.

if you set the Axe3 to CopyLR, you've set the outputs so that the Right channel does not ever appear. you can't set it CopyLR for the guitar and also full stereo for the USB separately using the same physical Outputs.

so this isn't matter of the Axe3 can't do what a mixer does: of course it can't because it's not a mixer with multiple channels with pan control.

you've chosen to set the outputs to CopyLR so that's what you have.

--
why you don't use Stereo outputs for your Stereo setup? just design your preset so the blocks are not creating stereo signals if you're worried about FOH, and anything you DO need in stereo can be in stereo.

also, i play in stereo at gigs all the time. i setup my presets so that anything stereo is "extra" and not crucial to the tone. in stereo they hear a left and right delay for leads, and it sounds great. but if they only hear one, it's great as well. also i often only send one side of my stereo signal out to the FOH and again, just one delay but it sounds fine, just not the "extra" cool 2nd delay or other effects.

so i'm set for all situations. if the sound guy wants mono from me, my amps and tones are all mono, but i would lose some "extra" cool effects that are just nice to have but don't affect anything. if they have a stereo PA and allow stereo input, then i have the full sound with the extras.

--
at home, i'd just set the output to Stereo. this will solve all your problems now. at the gig, then just send the Left output only for mono because again Copy L>R is exactly the same thing.

so leave your unit to stereo, use stereo at home, and at gigs send just the left signal. it's the exact same you're doing now.

Thank you very, very much, chris!

I understood about the output and and the difference between axe, mixer and my output choice.

Great observation about L existen in stereo be the same copy L sound.

I will study about how to leave all blocks config in mono.

All the best to you!
Thank you again for your time!

You could always set the Axe output to stereo, put your cab block right before the output block & set the cab block input to mono. That way you would have all your guitar sounds in mono & music playback in stereo.

Hi notalemming, how are you?
I will test this setting tomorrow. I never created a preset with cab at the end of grid.

Thank you very much again, dude!
All the best to you also!

I haven't either as I always run in stereo but it's like having all your effects in the amp's effect loop & then coming out of the speaker rather than adding the effects later, like in the studio. From what I have read, there is little to no difference in sound. Another way to do it would be to put a mono block like the drive block right before the output block & mute it.

I haven't either as I always run in stereo but it's like having all your effects in the amp's effect loop & then coming out of the speaker rather than adding the effects later, like in the studio. From what I have read, there is little to no difference in sound. Another way to do it would be to put a mono block like the drive block right before the output block & mute it.

Hi notalemming!
Thank you again, man!
I’ll try those settings also tonight!
All the best to you!

Back
Top Bottom