Axe-Fx III Firmware Version 5.00 Beta

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sorry if this has been asked before, I did a search and couldn’t find these questions answered in the manual or the wiki.

How can we tell if an amp model has a cathode follower? Are the cathode parameters just not there on those amps without it?

The manual does not list the Cathode Resistance parameter in the Power Amp page, but there is one on the Axe Edit Power Amp page. The manual lists a Cathode Resonance parameter but I don’t see one in Axe Edit.

In the release notes it says the “Ideal” cathode setting is no longer supported, but I can still switch to it in Axe Edit and I hear a difference. Is this a Beta thing or am I hearing things again?
Generally speaking amps designed after the Vox AC30 with a loose open kind of distortion do not have a CF and Marshall type and High Gain Amps that are tight do have CF.. you can also check on the Dynamics page: if the default Compression value is 0.0% it is not a CF Amp.

Generally speaking amps designed after the Vox AC30 with a loose open kind of distortion do not have a CF and Marshall type and High Gain Amps that are tight do have CF.. you can also check on the Dynamics page: if the default Compression value is 0.0% it is not a CF Amp.

Thanks for the info, both of the amps I’m using have 0 default compression, but when I adjust the CF Hardness I hear a change, so I’m not sure what’s actually going on. On the one hand it doesn’t matter because I just use my ears and go in whatever direction sounds good. On the other, I’d prefer to know why the CF parameters of an amp that doesn’t have a CF still affect the sound?

Just curious, maybe there are some hints for II users to improve their chug response? except better playing of course :)
p.s. sorry for II pleb invading III thread

5.0 beta:

Things never sounded better, from clean to mean.

Ran through most of my Amp+Cab presets. All sound fantastic so far. A few amp blocks may need some minor adjustments.

Make sure to try the Skull Crusher with cabs Legacy 50 and 51. Makes a Recto start crying.
Righteous Thanks!

5.0 beta:

Things never sounded better, from clean to mean.

Ran through most of my Amp+Cab presets. All sound fantastic so far. A few amp blocks may need some minor adjustments.

Make sure to try the Skull Crusher with cabs Legacy 50 and 51. Makes a Recto start crying.

I have to edit this.

Most amps sound fabulous.

But a couple (but not the Fenders) sound a little anemic. Mostly clean amps, such as Atomica low and Bludojai Clean, but also Cali Leggy and CCV 1a.

It's been a while since I tried these, so maybe it's just how they have been sounding in previous fw too, idk.

Last edited:
great update! Hi Gain sounds are clearer on the lower notes in general: cleaner tremolo picking, heavy riffs sound more precise to me. Possibly better string separation too...

[edit] and just today I brought my JPX 7 string to get a full setup... will pick her up tomorrow though

Just installed 5 beta. Is everyones CF hardness on 9.50? It's never been that high before.

All amps are like that, even Fender clean amps. I can't do a listen test because the family is still asleep.

Dang! I knew I shouldn't have slept last night. Thanks Cliff! Cannot wait to get home and load this up this evening. Thanks for the demo video @2112 Leon!

When A/B'ing, the difference I notice on low note chugs with the Recto models is that 4.03 sounds a bit crispy / crunchy compared to 5.00, which has a smoother / deeper quality. 4.03 is a bit thin compared to 5.00, which sounds a bit fuller. An improvement for sure.
Good ears. That crispy/crunchy is what real amps don't do. It bugged me for years. Real amps go "bong" not "bzzzzz". If you look at the waveform out of a cathode follower it's almost a triangle wave whereas the previous firmware was halfway between a triangle and square. I finally figured out what makes that triangle wave.

Thanks for the info, both of the amps I’m using have 0 default compression, but when I adjust the CF Hardness I hear a change, so I’m not sure what’s actually going on. On the one hand it doesn’t matter because I just use my ears and go in whatever direction sounds good. On the other, I’d prefer to know why the CF parameters of an amp that doesn’t have a CF still affect the sound?
The code goes:
if(Cathode_Follower_Compression > 0)
run_cathode_follower(ptr, data);

So you're adding a cathode follower to that amp model.

I have to go to the studio today and I just want to stay home and play. I played for a couple hours last night testing all the amp models and it was really fun. I was actually laughing at times when A/B'ing with the real amps because I kept guessing wrong. Some of the models sound better than the real amps, IMO.

When A/B'ing, the difference I notice on low note chugs with the Recto models is that 4.03 sounds a bit crispy / crunchy compared to 5.00, which has a smoother / deeper quality. 4.03 is a bit thin compared to 5.00, which sounds a bit fuller. An improvement for sure.

I hear that too if you focus on the chugs - really gets that purr...Awesome!

I have to go to the studio today and I just want to stay home and play. I played for a couple hours last night testing all the amp models and it was really fun. I was actually laughing at times when A/B'ing with the real amps because I kept guessing wrong. Some of the models sound better than the real amps, IMO.

Glad you're digging it!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom