Axe-Fx III Firmware Version 20.02 Public Beta 2

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just something I tried last night: the V30 captures of the Mark Day cab with the 1959 SLP reissue Treble. These are some of the best tones I've ever gotten. It sounded great without pedals, and it sounded incredible with every overdrive I tried, from the SD-1 to the 3 knob Tube Drive, OCD, BB Pre, BluesBreaker, even the Voodoo Labs one. It was like the ultimate pedal platform. There's magic in this firmware.

Our FOH desk (a Yamaha) is a bright desk. It didn't sound bright to me at home on my monitors (Kali LP6's) but through our FOH console it was much brighter than FW19. Our FOH tech said it say great in the mix though.

'brighter' is always an observation I will take from an observer. Bright can always be dealt with if it's 'too much'.

I imagine it like a color. You can have a bright red... but you cant add anything too it to make it brighter. You can only make it more pink or purple or brown.

'stiff' can also be dealt with with, with OD or compression. But you can't un-mush a sound.

I definitely understand the perception. There have been FWs that I thought were 'un-spongey'

I dealt with them by changing my fav amp, IR, or even playing with delay.

Barring that, you can still go back. Maybe a future FW will strike your fancy.

'brighter' is always an observation I will take from an observer. Bright can always be dealt with if it's 'too much'.

I imagine it like a color. You can have a bright red... but you cant add anything too it to make it brighter. You can only make it more pink or purple or brown.

'stiff' can also be dealt with with, with OD or compression. But you can't un-mush a sound.

I definitely understand the perception. There have been FWs that I thought were 'un-spongey'

I dealt with them by changing my fav amp, IR, or even playing with delay.

Barring that, you can still go back. Maybe a future FW will strike your fancy.

That pretty well defines my approach to tone shaping and sound design. It's a subtractive process. You can always remove things you don't want, but you can't add them if they weren't there to begin with.

Just something I tried last night: the V30 captures of the Mark Day cab with the 1959 SLP reissue Treble. These are some of the best tones I've ever gotten. It sounded great without pedals, and it sounded incredible with every overdrive I tried, from the SD-1 to the 3 knob Tube Drive, OCD, BB Pre, BluesBreaker, even the Voodoo Labs one. It was like the ultimate pedal platform. There's magic in this firmware.

I can’t believe I forgot to include it, but for anyone tries this combination, the big one that I’ve only recently started using a ton is the Lovepedal OC11 model. When I tried it with the SLP and Mark Day V30s with this beta, I was able to get this warmth that was unreal. It kind of became aggressive while leaving me room to speak with my licks, which is a shittily unhelpful way to describe it, but that’s what comes to mind. That’s an unusually girthy pedal, for lack of a better term. My superstrat has an inherent spike around 2.3kHz that will make you contemplate giving up music, but this pedal converted my axe to a sweet Les Paul.

I can’t believe I forgot to include it, but for anyone tries this combination, the big one that I’ve only recently started using a ton is the Lovepedal OC11 model. When I tried it with the SLP and Mark Day V30s with this beta, I was able to get this warmth that was unreal. It kind of became aggressive while leaving me room to speak with my licks, which is a shittily unhelpful way to describe it, but that’s what comes to mind. That’s an unusually girthy pedal, for lack of a better term. My superstrat has an inherent spike around 2.3kHz that will make you contemplate giving up music, but this pedal converted my axe to a sweet Les Paul.
Where can I find these V30s?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom