Axe-Fx III Firmware 25.00 Release

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sorry if this has been asked and answered. I have gone through all my non factory presets and saved each, one by one. I would like to do all my factory presets all at once. Is this the correct way?
Preset manager> highlight all> right click and reset all amp blocks. Thanks

You don’t need to reset the amp block. The new parameters are loaded automatically.

You don’t need to reset the amp block. The new parameters are loaded automatically.
But needs to be saved? It sounds redundant but if you open a preset you haven’t opened on new FW, the save button lights up. If you hit save, the next time you open that preset the save button will not illuminate . I was wanting to batch save all my factory presets simply to remove the save button illuminating. More of an OCD thing for me. 😂😂

Edit: Not sure where my head was, just changing scenes lights up save. Took a few more drinks to pull my head out of my ass

Last edited:
I was wanting to batch save all my factory presets simply to remove the save button illuminating. More of an OCD thing for me. 😂😂
There's your answer then. (Backup first as always.)

Edit: of you're okay potentially losing other settings you might have changed.

Yeah that Deluxe is basically the only clean amp I ever want to play anymore. Not that there aren't other good options, but that one just does it for me.
I’ve been drifting more and more towards the deluxe verb vibrato as my main amp. I was very happy with but always tempted to tweak a bit to find that mythical sweet spot.

I played a bit before updating, then played the same stuff and just wow. I feel like while we were hanging around on the forum shooting the breeze, Cliff just quietly reinvented amp modelling (again). There really is that extra dimension and it was instantly spot-on with that missing “something”. It is flat-out exactly what I wanted to hear, like it scratches some sort of psychic itch. I’m not one for hyperbole, but in this case I think it’s the fit and proper response. Something has arrived… is mankind ready? 👽🛸

While CX-3 certainly sounds amazing, a huge leap forward IMO, I'm just curious as to why many Class A/B power sections are now biased in the 40's - 50's percentage-wise?

EL34's for example are typically biased between the high 50's - low 70's percentage-wise?

Again, love the sound, and of course I realize that I can bias however I choose etc, just curious is all.

My wife and I attended a Floyd Nation concert a few months ago. They were amazing. One of the guitarists was using an Axe Fx unit and it sounded great! If and when Brit Floyd every comes to the Tampa Bay area again will be sure to go see them too.
Thanks, Dave! Floyd Nation will be back at Ruth Eckerd Hall in Clearwater this November.

And I can confirm that we're ALL using Fractals on stage (5 in total). It's tonal bliss!

Last edited:
I’m assuming that those responsible for consecrating shit balls have already performed the ceremony,!

While CX-3 certainly sounds amazing, a huge leap forward IMO, I'm just curious as to why many Class A/B power sections are now biased in the 40's - 50's percentage-wise?

EL34's for example are typically biased between the high 50's - low 70's percentage-wise?

Again, love the sound, and of course I realize that I can bias however I choose etc, just curious is all.
Power Tube Grid Bias sets the normalized grid bias voltage. This is NOT the same as percentage of maximum dissipation.

I’ve been drifting more and more towards the deluxe verb vibrato as my main amp. I was very happy with but always tempted to tweak a bit to find that mythical sweet spot.

I played a bit before updating, then played the same stuff and just wow. I feel like while we were hanging around on the forum shooting the breeze, Cliff just quietly reinvented amp modelling (again). There really is that extra dimension and it was instantly spot-on with that missing “something”. It is flat-out exactly what I wanted to hear, like it scratches some sort of psychic itch. I’m not one for hyperbole, but in this case I think it’s the fit and proper response. Something has arrived… is mankind ready? 👽🛸
Clips, if you've got em, would love to hear how it's working for you.

Well, will chime in with my own fun test....

This last week I spent updating/playing/ through all the four main scenes for my "Marshall-style" amp presets in Bank 1of the 1000+ LiveGold TonePack -- and everything sounds completely KILLER and "amp in a room" under the Cygnus X3 firmware 25 (or CX3).

Superlative work by @FractalAudio! So, as we say in Texas - "Hat's Off!"

And a special thanks to our Maestro Cliff for forcing the CX3 changes in the firmware in a way that did not force a total amp reset (and NOT reset things like amp boost or saturation values, input EQ speaker tab stuff, comp/dynamics, etc.) -- that methodology really helped make this incredible firmware 25 update SO MUCH easier to implement!

Just as notes for those updating presets wondering what amp models may, under CX3, have a noticeable or significant volumes change from presets from prior firmwares (using a fw21 base), I can report that -- just for Bank 1 in LiveGold that I've played -- only had to do a significant preset Level/volume adjustment on the following four amp types (the original presets were made in Feb. 2023, although they have been saved under subsequent firmwares since).

• the Joe Satriani Marshalls
  • Uberschall
  • Komet 60 and Concourse
  • Fryette Deliverance Hi and Lo (also I changed the cab used)

And gotta say, I also re-fell in love with the Captain Hook 34 amp.

Was never 100% happy with my cab pairings and that really great plexi-style amp - knew it could be sounding better, but I struggled to get it right with various Factory cabs in the past.

So this time, I used the 1960TV 4x12 (R121+Dyn2) in the DynaCabs for the forthcoming LiveGold "partial update" for the III, FM9, and FM3 (the April 2024 update coming later this weekend is just the Bank 1 Marshall-style presets for now) -- and WOW did the DynaCabs make a huge difference...totally sounded like a Loud.As.F**k vintage Marshall Plexi stack cranked in back of my chair, with my Gibson Roxy SG.

It's the closest have come in Axe-FX so far to recreating to my beloved Bogner 101b Ecstasy Plexi channel I revere - so happy! Played for an hour, stuff I have never played before coming out -- lost in it!

Thanks to Cliff and the Fractal team for continuing to innovate and pursue perfection. It's amazing how great it already is and then gets even better!

Cheers all! We are the luckiest guitar players ever to live, with our Fractal Audio tools!

-AB

And a special thanks to our Maestro Cliff for forcing the CX3 changes in the firmware in a way that did not force a total amp reset
So — since I’ve been trapped under a Very Large Rock for the past few weeks, would it be possible to get some advice on how to best make the CX3 upgrade with my 1400+ Naked presets insofar as “resets” are concerned? I don’t want to mess up what’s already wonderful about them all… and I’m still not clear on how to deal with my factory presets resets, either.

So — since I’ve been trapped under a Very Large Rock for the past few weeks, would it be possible to get some advice on how to best make the CX3 upgrade with my 1400+ Naked presets insofar as “resets” are concerned? I don’t want to mess up what’s already wonderful about them all… and I’m still not clear on how to deal with my factory presets resets, either.
There are no resets required.

The affected parameters will be updated on preset load.

@touch33 - what @unix-guy said.

There are going to be a very small number of the 300+ amp channel models, for whatever reasons in the firmware updates going from firmware 21 (last LiveGold) to latest firmware 25, where the volume level may change enough to notice once updated.

I'm planning to ID those here as I go through every amp model -- so you guys using LiveGold know those you'll need to re-level those directly, until the full three bank LiveGold update goes out.

Also, since Naked Amps (you asked about) was last updated in September 2023 under a later firmware (firmware 22, after firmware 21that was last LiveGold Feb 2023 release) - I'd say sure, go ahead and update, Just back up before you do so you can always revert back if needed.

I'll have the III, FM9, and FM3 last firmware LiveGold Bank 1 -- partial update (just Bank 1 Marshall styles)-- out by this weekend, and will post in vendor thread when it's ready to download to user accounts.

I don't want to derail this thread - the value offered is:

1) go ahead and don't be afraid to update to firmware 25, just back up all your presets first.

2) you may have to re-level a handful of amps after you do. I'm trying to give ya'll a list of the ones with noticeable level changes I found as I go.. as you can see above, it's quite a small list so far!

Last edited:
Should we just hook up a signal gen and o-scope and dial out the crossover distortion?
I assume you're kinda joking, but might actually work given the model accuracy (if the preamp and other circuitry doesn't introduce that as well).

However, as Cliff said the bias dial is a relative bias voltage change. I imagine all amps are already biased 'appropriately' based on (Cliff's or industry) best practices.

I assume you're kinda joking, but might actually work given the model accuracy (if the preamp and other circuitry doesn't introduce that as well).

However, as Cliff said the bias dial is a relative bias voltage change. I imagine all amps are already biased 'appropriately' based on (Cliff's or industry) best practices.
"Biased appropriately" is a variable, so for example, with previous FW's Class A/B amps tended to default at 60%, while now the same amps tend to default in the 40's, so what does that mean in terms of max dissipation is my question, and can I calculate for myself max dissipation from the exposed parameters if I want to over or under bias is all?

Again, CX-3 sounds great, loving it!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom