Axe-Fx III Firmware 25.00 Public Beta (Cygnus X-3)

Status
Not open for further replies.
the action happens when you choose an amp type (or hard reset of course).

i believe sometimes when adding an Amp block to a preset, it pulls up the last used type/settings, so could be a chance it pulls up old settings from an old preset. i don't know for sure because testing that is not relevant to me as i just choose a different amp all the time anyway.

if you choose a new amp type at any point, it loads with the latest default settings, and that's what will get you the latest amp settings as a starting point.

Last edited:
I'm pretty sure a NEW preset inherently uses the defaults for all blocks, the NEW defaults in this case.
Correct, only existing presets prior to this fw would need the soft or hard resets as per the release notes. Any presets made on this current fw are good to go ( no resets needed as they will have all the updated defaults in them already)

Last edited:
I'm pretty sure a NEW preset inherently uses the defaults for all blocks, the NEW defaults in this case.
Old and new presets alike use the new algorithms.

However, because of the new algorithms, the same AMP block settings in this firmware will sound different enough from previous releases that a soft reset is recommended.

Edit: Dave I read your post again and we're saying the same thing. :D Sorry about that. I should say: there aren't "new defaults" -- the defaults are the same. It's just that, for like settings, the algorithms sound different between the old and new firmware.

Last edited:

However, because of the new algorithms, the same AMP block settings in this firmware will sound different enough from previous releases that a soft reset is recommended.
So if you are making a brand new preset from scratch on this fw you should still do soft reset on amp block and future fw's with new preset's?

Question here. Every factory amp is set on ideal by default? If you make changes and save, decide you want to change back to ideal, a soft reset will change back to ideal?

Question here. Every factory amp is set on ideal by default? If you make changes and save, decide you want to change back to ideal, a soft reset will change back to ideal?
Ideal is one of many amp parameter tabs. Are you talking about factory presets? If so, you would need to reinstall the factory presets for their settings.

A soft reset doesn't change anything back to "ideal". Ideal is subjective. It just puts everything back to a starting postion. Knobs at noon kind of thing but for every parameter in the AMP block.

Edit: Dave I read your post again and we're saying the same thing. :D Sorry about that. I should say: there aren't "new defaults" -- the defaults are the same. It's just that, for like settings, the algorithms sound different between the old and new firmware.
I don't think that's right.

Yes the new algorithms are always used after installing the new firmware, but I think there are also new default values for some parameters. That's what resetting the amp block does, replace the settings in a preset with the new default values. As was said, the algorithm is already being used.

the action happens when you choose an amp type.

i believe sometimes when adding an Amp block to a preset, it pulls up the last used type/settings, so could be a chance it pulls up old settings from an old preset. i don't know for sure because testing that is not relevant to me as i just choose a different amp all the time anyway.

if you choose a new amp type at any point, it loads with the latest default settings, and that's what will get you the latest amp settings as a starting point.
I'd really like to understand this for real, it's super important. You're saying that at least sometimes, new presets use the last used values for that block type. In other words, it DOESN'T always use the block defaults for new presets. I think I've noticed that behavior myself, but never drilled in to nail it down.

Can we get an official statement about that please?

Last edited:
A soft reset doesn't change anything back to "ideal". Ideal is subjective. It just puts everything back to a starting postion. Knobs at noon kind of thing but for every parameter in the AMP block.
So the ideal tab is more of a reference to set tone stack? I don’t see where there is an ideal on/off switch. Excuse my ignorance on this, I’ve never been much of a tweaker when it comes to the amps and IRs.

So the ideal tab is more of a reference to set tone stack? I don’t see where there is an ideal on/off switch. Excuse my ignorance on this, I’ve never been much of a tweaker when it comes to the amps and IRs.
The ideal tab is a view of the ideal amp controls: it shows all the controls available to tweak an amp model even if those controls aren't visible on the in-real-life amplifier.

Edit: I assumed you were talking about Axe-Edit III which shows both the Ideal tab and the Authentic tab. If you're talking about the hardware, you can toggle between the Ideal and Authentic views of the tone controls by going to the Setup menu, scrolling down to Global Settings and on the Config page scroll down until you see Tone Control Display. You can pick IDEAL or AUTHENTIC for your view on the hardware here.

Last edited:
You're saying that at least sometimes, new presets use the last used values for that block type. In other words, it DOESN'T always use the block defaults for new presets.
If you've ever saved content to a preset location and then wiped the name as a quick way to wipe the preset, you run the risk of recalling blocks that aren't at the defaults. If you use the "clear preset" function in Axe-Edit it prevents this from happening.

Open a preset file in something like HexFiend -- if the range is all zeros for a block, then the defaults will be used when you load that block into the preset.

Edit: I'm not even certain Clear Preset does a complete and total reset. I can can have a preset with just AMP1 in it, change 1 AMP1 parameter, save, do Clear Preset, put an AMP1 block on the grid and my single change is still present.

Edit edit: If I change away from the preset and then back to it afte Clear Preset, the AMP1 block is at default settings when I place it anew on the grid. So there's likely something in the buffer that persists that Clear Preset doesn't wipe.

Last edited:
I don't think that's right.

Yes the new algorithms are always used after installing the new firmware, but I think there are also new default values for some parameters. That's what resetting the amp block does, replace the settings in a preset with the new default values. As was said, the algorithm is already being used.
Can you find a parameter that has a differing default value between 24.05 and this firmware?

@FractalAudio can you chime in on this?

If you've ever saved content to a preset location and then wiped the name as a quick way to wipe the preset, you run the risk of recalling blocks that aren't at the defaults. If you use the "clear preset" function in Axe-Edit it prevents this from happening.

Open a preset file in something like HexFiend -- if the range is all zeros for a block, then the defaults will be used when you load that block into the preset.
I never do that, erasing the name clearly just erases the name, not what I'm asking about.

Can you find a parameter that has a differing default value between 24.05 and this firmware?

@FractalAudio can you chime in on this?
Updated Power Tube Grid Bias (or Cathode Resistance, as applicable) default value for most amp models. Existing presets are NOT altered. A soft or hard reset will load the updated value.

Updated Supply Sag default values for many amp models. Existing presets are NOT altered. A soft or hard reset will load the updated value.

Updated Cathode Follower default values for many amp models. Existing presets are NOT altered. A soft or hard reset will load the updated value.

I have personally only looked at sag values & have seen changes on several amps from 24.05 to 25b.

The ideal tab is a view of the ideal amp controls: it shows all the controls available to tweak an amp model even if those controls aren't visible on the in-real-life amplifier.
I think he meant Ideal mode of the Tone page... Which is a global setting and affects what gets reset, too.

Updated Power Tube Grid Bias (or Cathode Resistance, as applicable) default value for most amp models. Existing presets are NOT altered. A soft or hard reset will load the updated value.

Updated Supply Sag default values for many amp models. Existing presets are NOT altered. A soft or hard reset will load the updated value.

Updated Cathode Follower default values for many amp models. Existing presets are NOT altered. A soft or hard reset will load the updated value.

I have personally only looked at sag values & have seen changes on several amps from 24.05 to 25b.
I stand corrected then @Dave Merrill

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom