Axe-Fx III Firmware 25.00 Public Beta (Cygnus X-3)

Status
Not open for further replies.
exciting! what i normally do when there's a significant change to the modelling, is copy the amp i'm using into the B channel of the amp block and then reset the A channel. i then have a copy in the B channel i can refer to when tweaking the A channel. useless if you're using all the channels, of course in which case make a copy of the whole preset. also recording your presets (if you don't have too many) can help as a reference for tone and level.
I typically use that same process most of the time. The only problem is when the firmware update's underlying algorithm, and sometimes new defaults applied at loading, significantly changes the Amp (or whatever was altered?). So now the original block/channel sounds different. Not really an apples to apples comparison, since the original red apple is now green.

In these cases you really need another unit running the old firmware for a red apples to red apples comparison. Or recordings (but doesn't help with a difference in feel) with the accompanying dry DI track for re-amping.

Last edited:
I tried two ways:
1) Reset Amp Blocks and copy every missing setting via screeshots. I didn't liked the sound without all deep parameters copied e.g. Cathode Follower, Grid Bias, Sag.
2) Easier: Amp resetter with all parameter checked (everthing shall be untouched).
I don't hear any difference between both. I just want to change parameters which are not visible to users.

Is concept 2) a good idea - does the amp resetter really just provided parameters which are visible in the Axe Edit III or also unvisible ones?

I want this dirty non straight sound like real amps have of FW25
I think Amp resetter with all parameter checked is the same like not resetting the Amp Blocks, or?

I have redo 30 high gain amps blocks from scratch today. I want to die .
🤣
I will redo all my presets, i am obliged to do it, some boost pedal need to be changed now, this and that. If you change firmware with the same presets It don’t sound good now.

My happy customers can drink a beer while I am redoing everything and send them for free when the firmware will not be in beta anymore. This is a part of what they paid for. But yeah the road is long.

I have tried the master bias excursion thing but no, this is not what I am doing. You have to re eq - re gain everything
At least wait until it's out of beta!

Come across an oddity that is new to me and not heard previously.

If you change the alignment values in either cab block by a minimum of 1mm, then the tone changes dramatically. So what should be a reasonably snarly dirty sound here transforms into a muffled sound.

I understand that the alignment is there to smooth the sound but not alter it's tonal characteristics.
That is normal as soon as you move mics apart you will start to get some phase cancelations. Hi end roll off etc etc , I actually find it very useful

That is normal as soon as you move mics apart you will start to get some phase cancelations. Hi end roll off etc etc , I actually find it very useful
It's never happened before and I use this alignment tool a lot, so this is something new.

In this pre-set example, It doesn't appear to alter the phase at all after it's activated, there's just massive HF roll off.

There's no/little difference between 1, 5, 10 or 20mm.

So unusable at the moment.

You think nothing changed in this update except the default values of visible parameters that are user editable? Is that an actual fact or a guess/hypothesis?

?

It's in the release notes. Lots of things changed, under the hood as well as parameter values / defaults.

If you don't recall the new default values, you're not getting the most authentic tone from the amp model, theoretically. Not saying that it will sound bad. Even with old / outdated parameter values, the new algorithms will still be in place and operate.

You think nothing changed in this update except the default values of visible parameters that are user editable? Is that an actual fact or a guess/hypothesis?
People are loading this update to hear the amp changes and trying not to have things change. You may not hear changes doing that.

Do what you want, just trying to point out you may not hear the differences.

I took the op to read that you do get the Cygnus X-3 goodness when you install, but to get new Power Tube Grid Bias, Supply Sag, and Cathode Follower parameters on top of that, you would need a reset.

?

It's in the release notes. Lots of things changed, under the hood as well as parameter values / defaults.

If you don't recall the new default values, you're not getting the most authentic tone from the amp model, theoretically. Not saying that it will sound bad. Even with old / outdated parameter values, the new algorithms will still be in place and operate.
Does this mean maybe the release version will have updated factory presets?

Does this mean maybe the release version will have updated factory presets?
the firmware doesn't update the presets automatically. a team updates the presets, and if we all get the goodies at the same time, the team wouldn't have time to update them, and it can take a while.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom