Axe-Fx III Firmware 24.05 Release

If there's any diagnostic thing I can contribute here, please let me know. I've been using this particular patch for years with no issues and I've only noticed it in 24.05.
When it’s a problem that can’t be reproduced reliably it’s really hard to help or get it fixed. If a particular preset or specific actions cause it then see “Reporting bugs with the Axe-Fx III, FM9 or FM3”.

Maybe it would help if you set up a modified version of the preset that has the looper inserted immediately after the In block. Play some stuff on the bass then trigger the loop, walk away and check on it later.

When it’s a problem that can’t be reproduced reliably it’s really hard to help or get it fixed. If a particular preset or specific actions cause it then see “Reporting bugs with the Axe-Fx III, FM9 or FM3”.
Yeah.. unfortunately it's happened a few times but nothing interesting was going on before or after, but it will go days without happening so I imagine this is a huge pain to troubleshoot.

A common thing at least between myself and Thalagyrt is we were using a bass guitar when it happened.

Yeah.. unfortunately it's happened a few times but nothing interesting was going on before or after, but it will go days without happening so I imagine this is a huge pain to troubleshoot.

A common thing at least between myself and Thalagyrt is we were using a bass guitar when it happened.
Yeah, absolutely true. I did post the exact preset I crashed with in the thread I linked, but I haven't been able to make it happen on demand which is both good and also frustrating.
See my addendum about using a looper block.

I was pretty close to that at the time, I was doing analog reamping of my bass through rear input 1. Replays of the same DI didn’t retrigger it. Hasn’t happened on 25 and in my case they’re 100% studio gear so I’m not bothered by it, but can see why it would worry people using it live. These kinds of super intermittent things really are the worst to diagnose, haha.

Good call, I will try that, but I guess it'd be helpful if I could somehow put the unit into a verbose logging mode or something before that so I can see if I can trigger it and record what actually happened. I've definitely used it for hours straight across multiple days before running into the bug again sadly.

I am definitely willing to help troubleshoot it if this is indeed a bug, but I also need to use it without disruption, so I will probably roll back to the older firmware and then load the new one when trying to trigger it.

Yeah this was my use case exactly, I was playing a bass both times it has happened

I use my units as outboard gear, so I wasn't running any external audio through them other than the bass. I posted in this thread, someone else saw it too, but never got any traction: https://forum.fractalaudio.com/threads/axe-fx-output-is-freezing.201125/#post-2532935
Interesting that both use cases are with bass.

Based on historical bugs that have presented the same symptoms, my guess is this is a bug in the Amp block.

Do you both know which amp model was being used? My other guess is it's the same one...

And while I'm guessing, I'll make a really wild one: the bug is due to a NaN error.

This is all educated speculation on my part ;)

I did upload my preset that crashed in the thread I linked, and while I've changed it a good bit since then and now am using an amp block, IIRC I wasn't even using an amp block at the time! Just a couple distortion blocks (B7K blocks) and three filter blocks and some weird three band parallel processing.

Good ol' not a number. Reminded me of Gary Bernhardt's "Wat?" video about Ruby/Javascript, haha.

Interesting that both use cases are with bass.

Based on historical bugs that have presented the same symptoms, my guess is this is a bug in the Amp block.

Do you both know which amp model was being used? My other guess is it's the same one...

And while I'm guessing, I'll make a really wild one: the bug is due to a NaN error.

This is all educated speculation on my part ;)

In my case, I am using the USA Bass 400, but only on certain frequencies, the rest is just straight in and some compression and EQ shaping.

In my case, I am using the USA Bass 400, but only on certain frequencies, the rest is just straight in and some compression and EQ shaping.
The frequencies probably don't matter... Just the running Amp block with that model. Possibly certain settings...

Last edited:
It happened again, same patch as before, so I am going to just load the 25.x branch at this point and hope it goes away.

If there's anything realistic I can do here to help troubleshoot this for other folks lmk, but I can't have this happen in the middle of a song so I'm going to stop using this release at this point.

Upload that preset.

Sure I will, I've been using it for 3 years across the FM3 and into the AF3 and it's very boring, but I am happy to include it here if it's helpful next time I'm able to load up axe FX3 on it.

Sure I will, I've been using it for 3 years across the FM3 and into the AF3 and it's very boring, but I am happy to include it here if it's helpful next time I'm able to load up axe FX3 on it.

Here's the preset @yek thanks for checking it out.

Attachments

• utkanos_bass2405.syx
    48.2 KB · Views: 4
Back
Top Bottom