Axe-Fx III Firmware 24.02 Beta #1

Status
Not open for further replies.
It’s actually confusing but cool.

The apparent closed loop of the flanger nestled between a send and return puzzles me.
There are 2 sets of Send/Return blocks... My guess is the Send off of Output 1 goes to the Return into Flanger and Drive, and that Send goes to the Return in Row 2 column 1.

There used to be more blocks in previous incarnations of this preset, and may be more later

Probably better to do this in the meantime then:

TKEknAk.png

Those extra Send -> Return paths add additional latency. There's really no reason to use them for your core tone unless you really have to.

Last edited:
really? that's new to me

Yep. Build something like this, which runs two lines in parallel, a "dry" line and another line that passes through the loop, and you can test it yourself.

tWgoPyI.png

Set the Return block to Mute Out and flip it on and off. Aside from the change in volume from doubling the signal, you'll hear a change in phase, which tells you the timing between the two routes are different. This is due to the Send Return loop adding latency.

Bug: still endless feedback on my tape delays,where previously there were none
I tried your preset and yes, in scene 1 there is a more feedback as it should be.
I did a soft reset with the delay block, dialed your settings back and it was normal. Then i realised that you switched the compander on and that is now the issue with all tape based delays i found out. If the compander is turned on there is a lot more feedback now than on older firmwares (in the other delay algos all is normal with the compander)
By the way, why this complicated Send/Return Paths - you have enough space to do all in one Row for this preset!

Yep. Build something like this, which runs two lines in parallel, a "dry" line and another line that passes through the loop, and you can test it yourself.

tWgoPyI.png

Set the Return block to Mute Out and flip it on and off. Aside from the change in volume from doubling the signal, you'll hear a change in phase, which tells you the timing between the two routes are different. This is due to the Send Return loop adding latency.
Interesting as just the other day @FractalAudio said only Amp, Cab and (I think) Drive blocks add latency...

Interesting as just the other day @FractalAudio said only Amp, Cab and (I think) Drive blocks add latency...

And he's correct. The blocks don't add latency. The way the Axe-Fx processes signal, combined with how the blocks function, is what adds latency.

If you build this:

y15Kslt.png

...then there is no added latency.

So what's happening? Why does placing the Send block to the right of the Return block add latency to the overall signal? And why is there no added latency when the Send block is placed to the left of the Return block? Well, each cycle of Axe-Fx processing is done left-to-right on the grid. One pass is done and the signal hits the Send block. That signal does not actually come out of the Return block until the next left-to-right frame pass. This necessarily adds latency.

No extra latency is added when the Send block is placed to the left of the Return block on the grid because the signal that hits the Send block can be immediately transferred to the Return block all in the same processing frame.

I'm not just making it up. You can do this experiment in your Axe-Fx right now to confirm it.

Last edited:
I tried your preset and yes, in scene 1 there is a more feedback as it should be.
I did a soft reset with the delay block, dialed your settings back and it was normal. Then i realised that you switched the compander on and that is now the issue with all tape based delays i found out. If the compander is turned on there is a lot more feedback now than on older firmwares (in the other delay algos all is normal with the compander)
By the way, why this complicated Send/Return Paths - you have enough space to do all in one Row for this preset!
Making things complicated is my thang, in life in general. Don't kinkshame me

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom