Axe-Fx III Firmware 23.05 Release

Because there was less hobby’s. No internet, not all these immediate things. So when you wanted to learn an instrument, you was working hard and you spent a lot of time on it.

Don’t know. When I was a child I just had a shitty classical guitar and tapes in my bed room . No phone, no tv… I was trying to learn the songs by ears behind the tapes, over and over … maybe if I were born now … I don't know if I would have insisted that much. Music is something that requires a lot of time, discipline... It is never ending. So a 14 years old now… they are used to having everything in one click… instrumental practice must be frustrating for a young person today. It can explain why rock music is slowly dying. Why we are all old in the audience now 🤣
And yet, there are way more resources at their fingertips today. YouTube, reddit, etc. to give free tips and instruction. If I had the resources today back when I was just learning, I would have progressed so much quicker on theory and navigating the fretboard, etc. Also, the nearly unlimited access to music through YouTube, Spotify, et al would have broadly expanded exposure to all genres and artists vs back then when you had to actually go to a record store and buy music that was only available through labels.

I think the kids have it easy today! :p

Just give something like “Along Comes Mary” by The Association a listen, popular music was all over the damn place in the 60’s, taking risks and, most of all, being interesting. Shame more people aren’t compelled by that sort of thing today.
People are the same they were back then, it's the music industry that has changed. risk appetite is lower and there's less investment so the stuff that gets recorded and promoted is whatever looks like can make the most money. You seem the same stuff in hollywood, that's why there's so many remakes and sequels made lately.

First the goal was to record a talented band with songs as they sound in their practice room. Then in the 80’s they discovered the reverb button. In the 90’s it was back to an organic sound, but they discovered compressor. And now the goal is to use all the tools in the world to help someone mediocre at first. 😅
The big decadence to me are vocals . Everything is so auto tuned and corrected, so fake.

Noise, feedback, imperfections, slightly out of tune things … are the ingredients for rock n roll . They try to perfect everything so that’s not rock n roll anymore .
In the 80's the reverb button was "discovered" due the arrival of Digital Reverb (Ursa Major Space Station, EMT 250, and Lexicon 224/200/PCM60 etc), plus Digital Delays from various OEM's, which replaced the short bandwidth limited Analog Delays, and Tape Slap which was a PITA to use (excepting the Echoplex, Binson, and Roland tape units, all of which were pretty noisy though...). Prior to that just Springs, Plates, Acoustic Chambers, plus the Cooper Time Cube (garden hose reverb).

Last edited:
I agree but it's always been that way...old enough to have lived through Disco and now it's bro-country singing about tractors they've never sweated on or playing high school football, which we all did but some of us kind of got over that after graduating.
I was in the local Guitar Center the other day and three teen-agers were cranked at the same time down-tuned (but not in tune), Tone King Imperial, Bad Cat Cub and an old 70's Marshall sitting there and they choose the Blackstar and Spyder! I walked out feeling like I had become my father rolling his eyes!
Mate that is so hilarious ….. but so true. As an Aussie, we have our own version of this, ask Leon.

People are the same they were back then, it's the music industry that has changed. risk appetite is lower and there's less investment so the stuff that gets recorded and promoted is whatever looks like can make the most money. You seem the same stuff in hollywood, that's why there's so many remakes and sequels made lately.
Get one Nirvana record to sell, industry tells you to quit listening to "hair metal"...that they rode to the bank with and listen to this "grunge" we've found you. Convincing you that suddenly people who practiced their chops sucked and that this is sooo organic and about the music, not the money, sex and drugs. Probably still fans who think Eddie Vedder is still a broke, straight as an arrow virgin....

Maybe… popular music has typically been very base, both in the 50’s and then again by the mid-late 70’s it was back to pretty faces singing garbage songs. However, there was a cultural shift during the 60’s-early 70’s where consumers favored at least the perception of authenticity. I think the Beatles were largely to thank for that. That whole generation kind of followed them down the rabbit hole as they went from pop stars to innovators.

Probably unpopular opinion, but... I kinda like Swift. Maybe not the entire crop of her catalog, but I respect the hell out of her work ethic. She's intimately involved in the entire process of her music, from concept to songwriting to production and engineering. She's got her fanbase dialed in and knows exactly what kind of music to write that will land with them.

Ultimately, there's no good or bad music. There's only music you like, and music you don't. And there's room for all of it :)
She also takes good care of the folks working to support her show, from what I hear....

Dude, you should record an example of what it sounded like on 23.02 compared to the current firmware. Cliff takes a look at all this stuff, but audio examples are way more powerful than descriptions alone.
The level were extremely low before on that model. Turn down the output level on the amp until it stops clipping.
Thanks for the tip. The level was -4 before the update, and dropping to -24 it still clips and distorts.
I've also noticed this. I spend most of my time in the Cooper Carter Petrucci preset, and the green channel has been low for quite some time. Simple fix for home playing was to raise the volume. With the new firmware, that has obviously been fixed, but it is sonically different now. I also dropped the level and did a soft reset of the block, but what was smooth and pristine is now quite harsh. I have had little time to tinker, however, so might just be a matter of dialing it back in.

Thanks for the tip. The level was -4 before the update, and dropping to -24 it still clips and distorts.
The poweramp section is being hit harder. Try setting gain to ~4 . Set the master down to 5 or a bit lower, gain down. It is also getting a huge boost from the NFB compensation. You either turn the level way down or turn off NFB Compensation. I would have compare my jp mkii+ to see if it is in the ball park of the Axe-fx. It was not in the previous version levels were way lower on the axe-fx previously.

Probably unpopular opinion, but... I kinda like Swift. Maybe not the entire crop of her catalog, but I respect the hell out of her work ethic. She's intimately involved in the entire process of her music, from concept to songwriting to production and engineering. She's got her fanbase dialed in and knows exactly what kind of music to write that will land with them.

Ultimately, there's no good or bad music. There's only music you like, and music you don't. And there's room for all of it :)
I agree with you 100% and you don't have to like her music but you have to respect her.

I don’t know… if someone wrote a song in the key of C Major and added an F# Major chord in there with no Key changes I’d say it was bad.
Unless their goal is to add dissonance to a section by playing an out of key chord...
It seems as though your argument though is that there is no such thing as objective. Everything is subjective. I'm sorry but I vehemently disagree... Universal truths are reality as well as perceptive truths. If there is a Chord progression in a song of C, G, Am, F# no one will find that pleasing to the ear. The sonic dissonance is too much to get past. I mean the keys share exactly one note, a B. Anyway, that is enough derailing for me.
I guarantee you I can find punk songs that use C G A F# power chords that people like. Plus, microtonal music exists which uses in between notes that are "out of tune" in our western music theory. Or the fact that the 12 equal temprement notes are technically a compromise anyway because we wanted every key to be a little out of tune so that we didn't have some keys in perfect tune and others wildly out of tune.

So calling any of this "objective" isn't really accurate.

How can someone "objectively" define that a collection of frequencies is bad, literally all the meaning has been ascribed by our brains interpretation of this as sound.

Unless their goal is to add dissonance to a section by playing an out of key chord...

I guarantee you I can find punk songs that use C G A F# power chords that people like. Plus, microtonal music exists which uses in between notes that are "out of tune" in our western music theory. Or the fact that the 12 equal temprement notes are technically a compromise anyway because we wanted every key to be a little out of tune so that we didn't have some keys in perfect tune and others wildly out of tune.

So calling any of this "objective" isn't really accurate.

How can someone "objectively" define that a collection of frequencies is bad, literally all the meaning has been ascribed by our brains interpretation of this as sound.
But I didn’t say power chords. If you change the parameters then sure. I also understand the concept of dissonance and it’s use. I was very specific. Each chordal triad with no other uses of variations like b5 or b7. No “bridging the gap”. Just switching to a full F# Major instead of an F Major.

Back
Top Bottom