Axe-Fx III Firmware 23.05 Release

Last edited:
After updating to 23.05 see on the Fractal screen red window "INCORRECT DYNA-CAB FILE VERSION!!! EXIT = CANCEL"
In AXE EDIT III when I try to set dyna-cab in preset I see emty list =/

View attachment 130992

As I understand it is necessary to download and update new DynaCab file via Fractal Bot.
But I don't understand where I can find it here,

You shouldn’t need to update dyna cabs if they were v1.05 previously. Which firmware version did you update from?

This is tricky.

I do sometimes mess with advanced parameters, and my understanding is that the most you can preserve is the basic stuff. That's on purpose, because the main reason to do a soft reset is to pick up new values for advanced parameters whose default values have changed.

It's too bad the soft reset process can't overwrite only parameters where a) the default value has changed, and b) the current value is the same as the old default.

But back in the real world, not only would that make the soft reset process more complicated, but it'd get trickier over time, as different parameters get new defaults at different times. The current simple model is probably best I guess.

That said, I still don't know what to do about my current presets. Should I soft reset them all, discarding any custom advanced settings? Or don't do that, and not get the new advanced settings?

Last edited:
This is tricky.

I do sometimes mess with advanced parameters, and my understanding is that the most you can preserve is the basic stuff. That's on purpose, because the main reason to do a soft reset is to pick up new values for advanced parameters whose default values have changed.

It's too bad the soft reset process can't overwrite only parameters where a) the default value has changed, and b) the current value is the same as the old default.

But back in the real world, not only does that make the soft reset process more complicated, but it gets trickier over time, as different parameters get new defaults at different times. The current simple model is probably best I guess.

That said, I still don't know what to do about my current presets. Should I soft reset them all, discarding any custom advanced settings? Or don't do that, and not get the new advanced settings?
https://www.fractalaudio.com/downloads/firmware-presets/axe-fx-3/23p0/axefxiii_dsp_rel_23p05.zip

Axe-Fx III Firmware Release Notes​

Changed Presence control taper on all 6160 and 5153 amp models to replicate the actual amp. It is advised to audition any presets that use these models and adjust accordingly.

Due to the improved triode algorithm introduced in 23.00 many amps have had their preamp bias points updated. Existing presets are automatically updated upon recall.

Improved Gapless Switching performance.

Fixed Output 1 Configuration being overwritten by Output 2-4 configuration.

Fixed several mistakes in 5153 Stealth models. If using these models it is recommended to do a soft-reset of the model by deselecting and reselecting the type.

Fixed Sene MIDI GUI not updating correctly when changing scenes via front panel.

Various other fixes and improvements.

A bit bummed that the poll results weren't the determining factor for the Presence controls, but oh well. Can't win 'em all

Oh man, whatever was fixed in the 5153 models absolutely ruined the Stealth for me 😭 it's soo much more woolier and mushy than it used to be.

NGL, hard not to feel super frustrated right now. My two favorite amp models got changes that make it much harder for me to dial in my sound

Oh man, whatever was fixed in the 5153 models absolutely ruined the Stealth for me 😭 it's soo much more woolier and mushy than it used to be.

NGL, hard not to feel super frustrated right now. My two favorite amp models got changes that make it much harder for me to dial in my sound
Which firmware did you like it best in?

@notalemming
Ok I'm stupid. What's the specific point you're making with those quotes?

That presets are "automatically updated upon recall"? I got that, but I'm wondering about updating all my presets in bulk if possible, just to get it done.

Ideally they'd get the new defaults, without trashing any advanced parameter tweaks I may have made.

Is there a way to do that?

Yeah me too. My fave models got wooly and mushy in 23.05 too, with a pretty pronounced cocked wah/nasal thing happening as well. I went straight back to 23.04 and all is well again.

Yeah me too. My fave models got wooly and mushy in 23.05 too, with a pretty pronounced cocked wah/nasal thing happening as well. I went straight back to 23.04 and all is well again.
Did you try turning up the presence knob in your 5150 presets? If I’m not wrong the presence range is still the same.

Really? I'm sorry to hear that but to my ears there was something clearly 'quirky' shall we say in the Red Stealth that I just could not dial out. I just got instant gratification when I updated and reset. I'm stoked.

Back
Top Bottom