Axe-Fx III Firmware 23.03 Beta #1

All the EVH 5150 III amps are different. Whether it’s the power tube type (6L6 vs. EL34) or 50W vs. 100W. Overall they are in the same realm but vary even between the Stealth models for example the 50W vs. 100W version. I don’t know the schematics but I’ve played or owned them all and there are some differences however subtle they may be.

The EL34 50W blue channel is the one that is most disliked for being flubby/muddy.

My point is changing the power tube settings in the Axe FX is not the same as actually modeling the individual amps because they do have different tweaks.

So has anyone had problems with the tuner and volume pedal. I did the update today and tonight at practice when I hit the tuner I still get volume out. But it is intermittent, it also happens when I pull my volume pedal back. I still get volume, it's almost like it cuts in and out.

So has anyone had problems with the tuner and volume pedal. I did the update today and tonight at practice when I hit the tuner I still get volume out. But it is intermittent, it also happens when I pull my volume pedal back. I still get volume, it's almost like it cuts in and out.
No tuner/volume-pedal issues here. Have you double-checked your volume pedal and cable for a false contact?

Last edited:
I have this strange razor sounding issue with the Gold Plate Reverb. Time 6sec, Size 30, Mix 100, pre delay 35, Mod Depth 100, Rate 0.012, LFO Phase 40.9. Sounds great then i get these razor sounding repeats...sounds cool but I don't think it is by design or an undocumented feature.
Preset attached. Seem to only happen with Mod+Ducker Depth at 100%. It's not something I would typically do but I was experimenting ;).

Attachments

• AJN Reverb Testing.fasBundle
    22.3 KB · Views: 6
Last edited:
The 5150 III series is unfortunately a choatic mix of minor changes. Whether it was because fender wanted us to pokemon our way to buying multiple amps from them, or because EVH himself was constntly tweaking and each amp just got released at his current specs, but the 6L6 50w, 6L6 100w, EL34 50w, EL34 100W, Sealth 50w and Sealth 100w each have minor changes from each other. Not sure if the Stealth EL34 is also different. They're all in the same ballpark, but I'm not sure any two are exactly the same. Although one of the EL34 models has a much milder Blue channel that some love or hate, which is one of the more obvious differences.

I own:

EVH 5150 III 50w 6L6
EVH 5150 III 100w Stealth
EVH 5150 III 100w EL34

I don't have an OG 5153 100w to compare to the Stealth 100w amps so I can't really say what's different there.

As for the 100w Stealth and 100w EL34, in my experience, the Blue and Red channels of these amps are completely identical. The poweramp is identical except that obviously one is tuned for and uses 6L6's, and the other uses EL34's. My 100w EL34 version to my ear has slightly more prominent mids than my 100w Stealth, but only sliiightly, and those extra mids can be almost exactly accounted for by lowering the Mid knob just a bit, and exactly accounted for with any capable Parametric EQ in post.

As for the EVH 50w amps, the 50w EL34's Blue channel has less low end filtering at the input than the 50w 6L6's Blue channel. This can be remedied by clipping one leg of the C137 component on the 50w EL34's board. Other than that and the power tube types, those amps are identical. However the EVH 50 watt amps are quite different than the EVH 100w amps. Mostly, the 50w amps are slightly more "slinky" sounding and feeling than the 100w amps. I can almost get my 50w 6L6 head to have the same response as my 100w amps by using a mid boost at the 50w amp's input, if that tells you anything. Also, the 50w amps don't really have more or less prominent low end than the 100w amps, but the sub lows of the 50w amps don't extend as far down the spectrum as the 100w amps.

Here's another interesting anecdote about the 50w heads. In my experience, EVH amps tend to vary in sound from one to the next. I'm not talking about different models, but two instances of the same model. This is nothing unique to EVH, a lot of amps from a lot of amp companies are like this, but I've tested EVH amps myself and it's fairly significant. When the Stealth 50w was announced, I preordered one. I already had a 50w 6L6 head and wanted the "updated" Stealth 6L6 version. I got an email from my preorder dealer right as they released which told me my preorder was going to take "a couple more months," so I ordered another one, intending to cancel the original in the next couple days. However, about 2 days later, I found out that the "couple months" was a bit of an overstatement as both amps arrived at my address on the same day. So, at that time, I had a 50w 6L6 and two 50w Stealth amps in my studio at the same time, and about two weeks before the return period on the first amp was up. So, I did some testing.

To sum it up, one of the 50w Stealth amps sounded basically identical in character but overall slightly thinner in the lows and low mids than my 50w 6L6, with no knobs I could adjust to change that general character, and the other 50w Stealth was basically identical but slightly thicker sounding than my 50w 6L6 in the lows and low mids. Funny enough, I ended up keeping the "Goldilocks" amp, my original 50w 6L6 head, and I returned both Stealth 50w amps. Sound wise, as far as I could hear, if you account for the individual variances of the two 50w Stealths and took basically the "average" of the two, then it seemed the 50w Stealth and 50w 6L6 circuits were pretty much identical. The Blue channels of the 50w Stealth and 50w 6L6 were the same. Same character, same amount of Gain (lots of people say the 50w Stealth's Blue channel has more gain than the 50w 6L6 Blue channel and I can assure you this is not the case), same everything. Same deal with the Red channel. They're the same on both amps. As far as I could tell, besides the 50w Stealth having external bias points, the biggest differences between them was the color. In that sense, we've kind of already had a model of the 50w Stealth's Blue channel in the Axe even before this latest update. :)

Last edited:
If anyone wants to play around with this:
https://www.fractalaudio.com/downlo...xe-fx-3/23p0/axefxiii_dsp_rel_23p03_beta1.zip

Axe-Fx III Firmware Release Notes​

Improved CPU usage.

Added "Nobelium OVD-1” Drive model based on a Nobels ODR-1. The BC (Bass Cut) switch is modeled via the Bass Response control. Set the Bass Response to 1.0 to duplicate the response of the pedal with the Bass Cut switch engaged. Set Bass Response to 5.0 to duplicate response with BC switch disengaged.

Changed default values of Speaker Drive and Speaker Thump to better align with measurements of typical speakers.

Added NFB Compensation switch in Amp block. This defaults to On. Turning it off disables the negative feedback volume compensation at the output of the Amp block.

Fixed LFO2 not working in Chorus block.

Fixed wrong Distortion pot taper in DS1 Distortion models.

Fixed wrong Gain pot taper in Angle Severe models.

Various other fixes and improvements.
Where can I download this at please

No tuner/volume-pedal issues here. Have you double-checked your volume pedal and cable for a false contact?
Checked that, everything was good. I rebooted and noticed an extra amp block not connected to anything. I moved it to one of the amp blocks, was using a dual amp set up. As soon as I moved it so there were only two amps. It seemed to be ok.

I own:

EVH 5150 III 50w 6L6
EVH 5150 III 100w Stealth
EVH 5150 III 100w EL34

I don't have an OG 5153 100w to compare to the Stealth 100w amps so I can't really say what's different there.

As for the 100w Stealth and 100w EL34, in my experience, the Blue and Red channels of these amps are completely identical. The poweramp is identical except that obviously one is tuned for and uses 6L6's, and the other uses EL34's. My 100w EL34 version to my ear has slightly more prominent mids than my 100w Stealth, but only sliiightly, and those extra mids can be almost exactly accounted for by lowering the Mid knob just a bit, and exactly accounted for with any capable Parametric EQ in post.

As for the EVH 50w amps, the 50w EL34's Blue channel has less low end filtering at the input than the 50w 6L6's Blue channel. This can be remedied by clipping one leg of the C137 component on the 50w EL34's board. Other than that and the power tube types, those amps are identical. However the EVH 50 watt amps are quite different than the EVH 100w amps. Mostly, the 50w amps are slightly more "slinky" sounding and feeling than the 100w amps. I can almost get my 50w 6L6 head to have the same response as my 100w amps by using a mid boost at the 50w amp's input, if that tells you anything. Also, the 50w amps don't really have more or less prominent low end than the 100w amps, but the sub lows of the 50w amps don't extend as far down the spectrum as the 100w amps.

Here's another interesting anecdote about the 50w heads. In my experience, EVH amps tend to vary in sound from one to the next. I'm not talking about different models, but two instances of the same model. This is nothing unique to EVH, a lot of amps from a lot of amp companies are like this, but I've tested EVH amps myself and it's fairly significant. When the Stealth 50w was announced, I preordered one. I already had a 50w 6L6 head and wanted the "updated" Stealth 6L6 version. I got an email from my preorder dealer right as they released which told me my preorder was going to take "a couple more months," so I ordered another one, intending to cancel the original in the next couple days. However, about 2 days later, I found out that the "couple months" was a bit of an overstatement as both amps arrived at my address on the same day. So, at that time, I had a 50w 6L6 and two 50w Stealth amps in my studio at the same time, and about two weeks before the return period on the first amp was up. So, I did some testing.

To sum it up, one of the 50w Stealth amps sounded basically identical in character but overall slightly thinner in the lows and low mids than my 50w 6L6, with no knobs I could adjust to change that general character, and the other 50w Stealth was basically identical but slightly thicker sounding than my 50w 6L6 in the lows and low mids. Funny enough, I ended up keeping the "Goldilocks" amp, my original 50w 6L6 head, and I returned both Stealth 50w amps. Sound wise, as far as I could hear, if you account for the individual variances of the two 50w Stealths and took basically the "average" of the two, then it seemed the 50w Stealth and 50w 6L6 circuits were pretty much identical. The Blue channels of the 50w Stealth and 50w 6L6 were the same. Same character, same amount of Gain (lots of people say the 50w Stealth's Blue channel has more gain than the 50w 6L6 Blue channel and I can assure you this is not the case), same everything. Same deal with the Red channel. They're the same on both amps. As far as I could see and hear, besides the 50w Stealth having external bias points, the biggest differences between them was the color. In that sense, we kind of already had a model of the 50w Stealth's Blue channel in the Axe even before this latest update. :)
hi what's the web address to download this please the above link did not work thx

I'm so pumped for the new EVH 100w model. Here's a clip I did of my own "Stealth 100w Blue channel -> Suhr IR -> Fractal Cab blocks" a while ago to try and show how surprisingly dynamic it really is, because so often all you hear from 5150's are chugging rhythms or blazing leads type playing, which are great, but these amps don't get their due credit for how versatile they can be.

This clip happens to be the 100w Stealth EL34, but I also own a 100w Stealth 6L6 and can tell you these amps are EXACTLY the same except for the power tubes. In practice the EL34 has maybe a db or two more "forward" mids if that's the right way to say it, but it's subtle enough that this could honestly be caused by manufacturing tolerance in the taper of the EQ pots. The Blue and Red channels in both amps sound identical.

FYI I think this clip also has some very broad mid cut via Parametric EQ after the amp, and a Pitch Block after the amp setup to do a really subtle EVH "Balance" style effect where the pitch shifter pitches up the right side by like 6 ct and pitches down the left side by -6 ct or something close to that. I remember the Mix being very low so the effect is audible but very subtle, like maybe Mix at 15-20% or so. That's where the extra bit of "space" in the highs comes from.

As for the clip, the ONLY settings that change from beginning to end are my guitar's volume knob, pickup selection, and how hard I hit the strings. The amp knobs were not moved, nor were any pedals toggled. The Blue channel's Gain knob was set hilariously low for this clip, like below 8:00, but it sounded great so that's how I left it. At the start it's almost pristine clean and by the end it moves into modded JCM 800 territory.

We're getting a seriously cool amp here.

I really enjoyed that. I'm guessing this was the IR used. Complete guess really.

https://www.celestionplus.com/produ...-greenback/?attribute_pa_response-type=ir-wav

Back
Top Bottom