Axe-Fx III Firmware 23.03 Beta #1

The Nobels ODR-1 sounds GREAT (like the real pedal). I love it with the bridge PU of a Tele.
The Morning Glory is also nice. It immediately reminded me of the DIY clone that I once had. It is more or less a Marshall Bluesbreaker, but I think I prefer the Morning Glory.
I don't get the Gauss Drive. Don't know how this can produce a usable sound.
The 2203 sounds great. But to my ears like the 2204. With identical settings I cannot distinguish between them.

Assuming a) a fixed value, b) you know the value and c) it's a user settable value...

Many times the reset is changing "internal" settings and this method is useless.
The default values for the parameters in question (Speaker Drive and Speaker Thump) are the same across all the models. Cliff indicated earlier that setting these new values in existing presets would be the same as a reset, although he also advised to "use your ears".

https://forum.fractalaudio.com/threads/axe-fx-iii-firmware-23-03-beta-1.199704/post-2488256

The default values for the parameters in question (Speaker Drive and Speaker Thump) are the same across all the models. Cliff indicated earlier that setting these new values in existing presets would be the same as a reset, although he also advised to "use your ears".

https://forum.fractalaudio.com/threads/axe-fx-iii-firmware-23-03-beta-1.199704/post-2488256
He also said reset the amp block, not enter these values. There may be things going on under the hood the we are not aware of.

If anyone wants to play around with this:
https://www.fractalaudio.com/downlo...xe-fx-3/23p0/axefxiii_dsp_rel_23p03_beta1.zip

Axe-Fx III Firmware Release Notes​

Improved CPU usage.

Added "Nobelium OVD-1” Drive model based on a Nobels ODR-1. The BC (Bass Cut) switch is modeled via the Bass Response control. Set the Bass Response to 1.0 to duplicate the response of the pedal with the Bass Cut switch engaged. Set Bass Response to 5.0 to duplicate response with BC switch disengaged.

Changed default values of Speaker Drive and Speaker Thump to better align with measurements of typical speakers.

Added NFB Compensation switch in Amp block. This defaults to On. Turning it off disables the negative feedback volume compensation at the output of the Amp block.

Fixed LFO2 not working in Chorus block.

Fixed wrong Distortion pot taper in DS1 Distortion models.

Fixed wrong Gain pot taper in Angle Severe models.

Various other fixes and improvements.
Thanks for the NFB compensation option. As someone that goes back and forth between real amps and the axe-fx, I think I will appreciate the authentic behavior.

The Nobels ODR-1 sounds GREAT (like the real pedal). I love it with the bridge PU of a Tele.
The Morning Glory is also nice. It immediately reminded me of the DIY clone that I once had. It is more or less a Marshall Bluesbreaker, but I think I prefer the Morning Glory.
I don't get the Gauss Drive. Don't know how this can produce a usable sound.
The 2203 sounds great. But to my ears like the 2204. With identical settings I cannot distinguish between them.
You can use the gauss like an od boost with gain at zero etc . When they release these pedals I have them all day one in the store back in the day and it wasn’t crazy…as a boogie fan I was expecting something better. specially the throttle box that is a total fail.

Yes both 2203 and stealth have a light “cooked in” difference with their other brothers in the unit. I had fun to tweak the standard evh 50w to match the stealth just with an eq block. A good exercice. The stealth got more bass and mids . The 2203 got a slightly different “body”.

But yeah it reminds me how many times in the wish section they say “nahhhh your wish is too close for what we already have”(cough) . The thing is, when you like a brand, even if the other model got just more mid or that, you want it because you are a fanboy hehe .

@Admin M@

I’ve been meaning to ask for awhile. What is the difference between the four Mesa speaker impedance curves?

Are these modeled off the traditional or the standard (oversized) cabs?

Mesa Recto Small vs. Mesa Recto Large

Slant vs. Straight is self explanatory.

I'm interested as well, but the slant/straight dynas don't have that overly bassy/woofy response I've come to expect/hate in the oversized IRs.

@Admin M@

I’ve been meaning to ask for awhile. What is the difference between the four Mesa speaker impedance curves?

I would assume that small is standard and large is oversized.

@Admin M@

I was actually wondering about this the other day, and whether the Mesa 4x12 Dyna cabs were the Standard (OS) or Traditional?

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom