Axe-Fx III Firmware 23.03 Beta #1

Nobels ODR-1 and 2203 are awesome additions to the Fractal models lineup.

Also - Mesa Flux Drive is a super cool pedal. Looking forward to checking that one out. I’m assuming that’s what the Gauss drive is?

I think the mids are in a bit of a different place , more low mid bogneresque as opposed to the upper mid focus like an SLO in the OG
Funnily enough, to my ears it’s a lot cleaner in the low mids. The other 5153 models have that “cocked wah” quality in the low-mids which the Stealth doesn’t. To my ears anyway!

Bash and crash with the new stuff here.

Also this is the first time I've ever had a copyright notice on a video for simply playing an unaccompanied guitar riff, so I'll take that as evidence @FractalAudio nailed that 2203 model.

View attachment 130362

One of these days you will be sued for playing Ragdoll riffs on YouTube :D
Sue Cbs GIF by Paramount+

Last edited:
Was NFB Compensation 'On' by default for you?
Personally I would love to have a global switch for it so all amps have authentic volume range and consistency.

No, in all of my presets the compensation was "off" after installing this FW. The change to "on" brought back the previous volume level.

This is a massive update, For the final release, I hope we also get the nuggets on the Morning glory - Which version, how to emulate the bass cut and the gain structure switch (if it's a v4), etc.

The new JCM800 looks really cool. I think, I am more of a plexi kind of guy, but I need to put this one through its paces.

No, in all of my presets the compensation was "off" after installing this FW.
Interesting, the default is 'On' and the firmware update should not have changed it. Well, that's beta.

What do we gain from the NFB compensation
The default 'On' was always enabled under the hood, it compensates the output volume of the amp block when you adjust the NFB value, this is NOT how a real amp works, this update allows us to disable this artificial compensation and make the NFB control work like it does on a real amp.

Bash and crash with the new stuff here.

Also this is the first time I've ever had a copyright notice on a video for simply playing an unaccompanied guitar riff, so I'll take that as evidence @FractalAudio nailed that 2203 model.

View attachment 130362

Thank you so much @2112 for putting these videos up yet again. Can’t get to my III atm so this video will do. And thank you @FractalAudio for adding the 2203 and for such an amazing customer service. Had a friend trying out the III Marshall models for the first time and he was blown away. Also told him that we are about to get the 2203 because of a forum post request, and he was floored. You’re about to get a new customer soon 🙂

Surprised that Leon landed on such low master volume values with the 2203. I wonder if the master volume is already 1:1 or if this 2203 is somewhat different compared to the late 70’s-early 80’s JCM/JMP models inside the unit? Have to try that out myself and of course one can use whatever setting that sound good.

Imo these amps sound somewhat shrill with master volume under 3. Around 4 is where the amp comes alive (and LOUD) and really shines. It also doesn’t get any louder after that. After 5 the sound starts to get too fuzzy and the saturation is just too much over the place. Of course all this really depends on the sound you’re after and what cabinet you are using.

I can send you a few impulses of my late 80’s 1960B cabinet which I’ve been using with these amps. I don’t think there’s too many around.

Last edited:
Thank you so much @2112 for putting these videos up yet again. Can’t get to my III atm so this video will do. And thank you @FractalAudio for adding the 2203 and for such an amazing customer service. Had a friend trying out the III Marshall models for the first time and he was blown away. Also told him that we are about to get the 2203 because of a forum post request, and he was floored. You’re about to get a new customer soon 🙂

Surprised that Leon landed on such low master volume values with the 2203. I wonder if the master volume is already 1:1 or if this 2203 is somewhat different compared to the late 70’s-early 80’s JCM/JMP models inside the unit? Have to try that out myself and of course one can use whatever setting that sound good.

Imo these amps sound somewhat shrill with master volume under 3. Around 4 is where the amp comes alive (and LOUD) and really shines. It also doesn’t get any louder after that. After 5 the sound starts to get too fuzzy and the saturation is just too much over the place. Of course all this really depends on the sound you’re after and what cabinet you are using.

I can send you a few impulses of my late 80’s 1960B cabinet which I’ve been using with these amps. I don’t think there’s too many around.
I had an 83 2203 prior to the axe3 and can tell you master on 8 preamp gain on 2 and something providing a little hair and compression (ocd in real life) sounds fantastic.

As I have no access to my Axe-Fx for some time:

What are the exact names of the new 5153 and Brit 800 models, and the new drives?

Back
Top Bottom