Axe-Fx III Firmware 23.00 Release

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't understand the question.
Re: "Must be something else you changed," I wondered, and It may be my ignorance about the details of the refresh after firmware, I wondered if any of what gets changed might be relevant to the CPU discussion. That is, are aggregate small changes making the differences folks notice as opposed to one readily identifiable change. Not having any particular issue on my end; just programmer brain going. Thanks. And Matt, I see you replied. Thanks.

Last edited:
Just wondering. Does the refresh of values potentially change anything that might affect usage one way or another?

Axe-Edit "refresh after new firmware" doesn't change parameter values. However, loading presets that were created with an older firmware can sometimes modify parameter values. You'll get a signal when that happens because the "Edited" light in Axe-Edit will be illuminated.

I am only experiencing very small increases in CPU demands (3% or less), with or without gapless switching being turned on. Could the variability in increased CPU demands be related to the model of the Axe Fx one owns? I am using a AFX III Turbo. Could it be that there is more headroom available on the Turbo model that results in less sensitivity and response to the new increased CPU demands so I am not seeing the same level of increases to CPU demands that some others are reporting? If everyone would state which device they have when they report CPU demands perhaps we would see if the model owned makes a difference.

I am only experiencing very small increases in CPU demands (3% or less), with or without gapless switching being turned on. Could the variability in increased CPU demands be related to the model of the Axe Fx one owns? I am using a AFX III Turbo. Could it be that there is more headroom available on the Turbo model that results in less sensitivity and response to the new increased CPU demands so I am not seeing the same level of increases to CPU demands that some others are reporting? If everyone would state which device they have when they report CPU demands perhaps we would see if the model owned makes a difference.

That's certainly possible. I have a MK I, but without knowing what preset you're using, it's hard to draw any conclusions. Try the Skylight2 preset attached here and compare 22.01 to 23.00. I see roughly a 5% increase with gapless turned off, but almost all of that increase came between beta 6 and beta 7. The change in that version was to the tremolo effect, but this preset doesn't have a tremolo.

Attachments

• Skylight2.syx
    48.2 KB · Views: 5
Last edited:
The Mk II Turbo model has about 11.1% additional CPU headroom compared to the Mk II. If you took advantage of that and pushed your presets to the Turbo's 80% then it's likely you'll see warnings.

The Mk II Turbo model has about 11.1% additional CPU headroom compared to the Mk II. If you took advantage of that and pushed your presets to the Turbo's 80% then it's likely you'll see warnings.

None of my custom presets are very CPU intensive….most do not demand over 50%. I have loaded some third-party presets that demanded a maximum of 70% previously, now they are demanding around 72 % to 74% with gapless turned on. When I get back to the studio later today I will load up the Skylight preset and see what occurs.

All my presets are fine (did increase 1.5-2%) and the update totally worth it. I do have one preset- Limelight- that now pegs the cpu warning. Gotta figure out how to reduce something……

Try the Skylight preset I uploaded above and compare 22.01 to 23.00. I see a 6% increase with gapless turned off, but almost all of that increase came between beta 6 and beta 7. The change in that version was to the tremolo effect, but that preset doesn't have a tremolo.
For CloudBurgzt (edit: not Skylight) on my AF3 MKI with gapless OFF, confirmed that there is a consistent (3-4%, but not 6%) increase from b6 to 23.00. Turning gapless ON appears to increase CPU by about 1.5% for me in both b6 and 23.

I tried systematically deleting different types of blocks one at a time to see if one might be the culprit, but a difference of 3-4% remains. However for an <EMPTY> preset with all shunts the difference is 0.3%.

It could be that it correlates with the number of blocks in a preset (excluding AMP/CAB). Might explore that next.

I am running latest Axe Edit on the new firmware using Mac IOS Ventura 13.4 (Mac mini m2 pro).

Axe Edit has crashed on me a dozen times over the last hour of playing. I have never had a crash issue before.

For CloudBurgzt (edit: not Skylight) on my AF3 MKI with gapless OFF, confirmed that there is a consistent (3-4%, but not 6%) increase from b6 to 23.00. Turning gapless ON appears to increase CPU by about 1.5% for me in both b6 and 23.

I tried systematically deleting different types of blocks one at a time to see if one might be the culprit, but a difference of 3-4% remains. However for an <EMPTY> preset with all shunts the difference is 0.3%.

It could be that it correlates with the number of blocks in a preset (excluding AMP/CAB). Might explore that next.

Just to be clear, the 6% I mentioned for the cloudburgzt preset was from 22.01 to 23.00, not 23.00b6 to 23.00.

I haven't had any luck isolating the difference to a particular block either. Who knows, maybe the cpu meter changed in b7? I'm sure Cliff will get to the bottom of this.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom